What's new

darker colored kava

mjazzguitar

Kava Curious
I recently purchase 5 lbs. of kava because it was 10% off. It's not the usual light color,; it's more the color of brown sugar.
Has anyone seen kava this color before? Could this be the tudie kava I've heard about?
I work 3rd shift and usually have a little kava in the morning, then take an antidepressant- amitriptyline- before sleeping- it's prescribed for headaches, but lately I've been really unmotivated. Could it be the kava or maybe combining them that is bad? Are there any studies on this?
Thanks ahead of time for your answers.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Color doesn't really tell you much, except that possibly the processors were not diligent about removing all the bark from the roots. If you tell us the brand, maybe someone would know something about its nobility, or lack of.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Yeah, dark probably means root bark, and implies more lateral roots which should mean stronger than lighter colored kava unless it's from a vendor that removes lots of bark.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I've tried tens or even hundreds of different kavas and I've seen very light kavas (almost white! a bit like instant cappucino powder) and a bit darker kavas. Some of the dark ones are verified pure and noble kavas, so your dark kava isn't necessarily "impure". From my experience, the darker kavas are heavier, but I am not sure if this has been scientifically evaluated. Of course there is a chance that your kava wasn't properly processed. When in doubt, contact @Deleted User. You can send a sample to him and he will tell you all you need to know about your kava.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
The darkest one I've had, which also brewed up dark, turned out to be (weak) tudei with aerial parts mixed in. It was purchased at a health food store. 1 stop shop for the worst kava.

Some good kavas are dark as well, as mentioned by previous posters.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Yeah it seems to me like the darker roots are the heavies from Van. Hawaiians and Tongans are usually lighter and less sedating. Just my observation as well.