What's new

Devastating fires in Maui

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
So much awful news from Maui yesterday and today. My heart breaks for those who live and work there and who have lost their homes and businesses. Tears were unrelenting when I saw the devastation particularly of Lahaina. I’ve been a frequent visitor to Maui - close to 20 times. Maybe more. Locals always loved my Hapa kids. Attitudes changed a little after COVID but if you go with the mindset of mana and malama, attitudes change again. Aloha is still there. But an awful lot of aloha and ohana will be needed. Lahaina can be rebuilt but it can never ever be the same. Much ancient Hawaiian history may have been lost. And the much loved giant Banyan tree near the harbor may also have been lost. . So many lovely memories from there. During COVID when I couldn’t visit I donated to the Hawaii food bank. I urge you - if you can afford it - to donate to any cause that is established to help the kanaka and Kamaʻāina. Much aloha to my Hawaiʻi friends.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
So much awful news from Maui yesterday and today. My heart breaks for those who live and work there and who have lost their homes and businesses. Tears were unrelenting when I saw the devastation particularly of Lahaina. I’ve been a frequent visitor to Maui - close to 20 times. Maybe more. Locals always loved my Hapa kids. Attitudes changed a little after COVID but if you go with the mindset of mana and malama, attitudes change again. Aloha is still there. But an awful lot of aloha and ohana will be needed. Lahaina can be rebuilt but it can never ever be the same. Much ancient Hawaiian history may have been lost. And the much loved giant Banyan tree near the harbor may also have been lost. . So many lovely memories from there. During COVID when I couldn’t visit I donated to the Hawaii food bank. I urge you - if you can afford it - to donate to any cause that is established to help the kanaka and Kamaʻāina. Much aloha to my Hawaiʻi friends.
Death toll has risen dramatically. A good place to give is-- Maui Strong Fund through the Hawaii Community Foundation.

kilakila

Kava keeps me going.
I hope so, too @Kojo Douglas. Never know quite who to believe when it comes to getting donations to them. I’ve made monetary donations but having a PPE company we tried to send 12 palettes are relief supplies and nobody would take them! We’re now working with Direct Relief and they’re buying stuff. Pretty sure they’re expecting a very long recovery and rebuild - they wanted 20,000 pairs of boots! Also asking for N100 masks because of all the lead and asbestos dust. It’s going to be a toxic mess for a very long time.