What's new

Difference in Effects of Instant vs. Medium Grind Kava

PepperyPyrone

I'll have the pyrones with some pepper, please.
I mostly use medium grind, but lately have been trying Instant (not Micronized) for the ease of travel. I have noticed with two different balanced/heady varieties that they have a more immediate, pronounced sedative effect compared to the medium grind versions (Aluball and traditional prep). It's not a bad thing, it's very pleasant and last for a long time, but I enjoy the uplifting energy I get from the medium grind. But with the instant it seems like a big component of the overall feeling is missing and mostly sedates you. I can see where this would be fine for a heavier kava in instant form, which I do have and use and love. I have also tried the micronized form and don't see this effect difference, as it is very similar to medium grind. In knowing how the instant version is made, could there be more water soluble KLs or other components that are removed during the drying process or possibly decanted from the settling kava batch? Anyone else have this experience? Just curious.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I have used many instants and usually the heady aspects seem to shine the brightest but it is always different from batch to batch. Instant is usually the least predictable but can be very good. Medium grind always gives me the most full spectrum effects.

Go Krunk Yourself

Kava Enthusiast
I'll tell ya I find medium grind through aluball more physically sedating than micronized. In fact, I took some Loa Waka yesterday that knocked me on my ass pretty much. And that is supposed to be quite a balance Kava on the heady side.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I have not tried instant - but I assume the effects are similar to the same equivalent dosage of a traditional prep (it should be). In which case I agree with you. It is my opinion that the aluball mechanically washes the fine particles but does little real KL extraction and/or is just worse at extracting the heavier KLs. My experience from the same kava in both the aluball and traditional prep is different, with the aluball being headier and lighter and the traditional prep being much more body and sedating.

PepperyPyrone

Maybe in comparison, the "instant" prep method is extracting more of the dihydros or something so its still the same strain but I'm detecting heavier effects due to method differences? I am sensitive to the heavier KLs so even though it is still heady, there is a prolonged sedation that I usually don't get with the Aluball or even my traditional prep. Does anyone know what the exact method is for instant? Do they get out a giant body-size strainer bag, or maybe like the size of a VW Bus and fill it full of fresh ground root and knead it with boat paddles? I mean you would have to make quite a lot of grog to make a decent amount of instant. Right? @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava ?

Last edited:

PepperyPyrone

@perry I didn't know KwK made an instant, I know they make a micronized. GHK makes the instant. This is a tough thread for sure because its talking about the differences between the true instant prep effect (not micronized) vs. the medium grind effects. I too find that the micronized behaves similar to the medium grind because it is essentially the same thing but just finer particles. Instant is where they actually make farm fresh kava, let it settle out, and then dry it into a powder for consumption. It's really good stuff, don't get me wrong, I have just noticed differences in the overall vibe and I have noticed where the Moi and the Mahakea instant forms are a lot more sedating than the medium grind (which I find both to be very energizing and uplifting in medium grind traditional prep). This has happened on many occasions where I was looking for a quick prep and didn't have time to make medium grind, and the instant wound up knocking me out, day or night, tired or not, a one-two punch out cold, and I only did like a teaspoon. I love Moi for its uplifting mood enhancement and energy that it gives me, but the instant form (at least for me) on multiple occasions put me into a heavy sleep. I now reserve them for nights when I want to relax, and use the traditional prep when I want to be energized. The instant Nene does a great job of doing what it was meant to do and maybe moreso than the medium grind. Just to make this clear, this is not a thread against instant kava, I think the prep is incredibly high quality stuff, just pointing out differences in effect. I know others have agreed that there is definitely a difference in the overall vibe of instant compared to traditional prep. So if anyone out there feels that Moi gives you the "jitters" in medium grind form, try the instant prep form. Let me know what you think.

Krunkaroo

Kava Enthusiast
PepperyPyrone, I understand, I have yet to experiment with medium grind. It's pretty awesome that the same strain of Kava can have different effects for people depending on prep.

*KWK calls their product Micronized Instant. If this is micronized then that's cool I dig it. I got an ALuball, strainer and medium grind but I don't know am lazy right now :)

Last edited: