What's new

Different base liquids for kava

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Hi all - anyone ever experiment with using different base liquids for kava? For example, I enjoy making cold Yerba mate in a coffee press. I find Yerba mate makes me feel quite energized, and I’d think it would be interesting to use my Yerba mate water/tea and mix that with a heady kava to combine effects. Anyone ever try any unique mixes?

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
Diffusa turnera tea. It serves as a masking agent and it is antioxidant. I wonder if somewhat similar chamomile could also be a good idea. Will try... maybe :)

Orz[EST]

Kava Enthusiast
I added some blackcurrant+apple juice concentrate to kava.

Excellent masking agent!

Limitation: tried it with only Root of Happiness Samoan.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hi all - anyone ever experiment with using different base liquids for kava? For example, I enjoy making cold Yerba mate in a coffee press. I find Yerba mate makes me feel quite energized, and I’d think it would be interesting to use my Yerba mate water/tea and mix that with a heady kava to combine effects. Anyone ever try any unique mixes?
I think most people find that caffeine isn't a good mix with kava but try it and see.

bogmonkey

Kava? Yes please!
I actually like the taste of kava, but I only drink super premium varietals which tend to have more palatable flavors..
I use filtered water, then I add grass-fed Half & Half which makes it creamy - then I'm good!

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
I actually like the taste of kava, but I only drink super premium varietals which tend to have more palatable flavors..
I use filtered water, then I add grass-fed Half & Half which makes it creamy - then I'm good!
So what you are saying is that you don't mind the taste of kava as long it has half & half in it? Boy sure sounds like you LOVE the taste of kava. :ROFLMAO:

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
Hmm why stop at drinks? U could make it with avocado oil. Put that prepared kava back in the bottle. Make some mayo with it. Mustard, cayenne, salt, lemon or vinegar, maybe some other spices. Mix up some chicken salad with it, melt some fontina cheese over some bread.......kava chx salad sando heh

Outside the box a bit, i think heavily spiced it would taste good. Also if u make it with sichuan flavors ull get the same kind of mouth numb as the sichuan peppercorns.

Karuna Kava

Kava Entrepreneur Boise, ID
Kava Vendor
Hey there @Cuzzie . We have used all sorts of different stuff to make kava, from green teas, black teas, herbal teas, nut milks, chocolates, fruit juices, sugars, honeys, simple syrups and all manners of combinations of the aforementioned While I have heard many times that people really don't enjoy a bit of caffeine with kava, I find that this really only pertains to mixing something like coffee and kava, which has quite a bit more caffeine than say something like a strained Sencha. Rooibos works quite well with kava, and highly suggest that or Honey Bush for home brewing.

If you ever want to try the stuff we are mixing up these days, check out Karunakava.com and use code DRINKKAVA for free shipping on orders of 50$ or use code rooted for a discount on any order.

I hope this helps, happy explorations.

Bula Vinaka

Karuna Kava

Kava Entrepreneur Boise, ID
Kava Vendor
I wouldn't do it with regular, caffeinated coffee.
However Yerba Mate tea has much less caffeine than coffee.
Depending on the preparation, it can have as little as 30mg.
Perhaps that's why it works for some people
while mate does have much less caffeine than coffee, it does contain contains three xanthines: caffeine, theobromine, and theophylline. In my opinion, yerba doesn't really mesh well with the flavour of most kavas, but this can be offset by some fruit juices or something of the sort

Cuzzie

Kava Enthusiast
Hey there @Cuzzie . We have used all sorts of different stuff to make kava, from green teas, black teas, herbal teas, nut milks, chocolates, fruit juices, sugars, honeys, simple syrups and all manners of combinations of the aforementioned While I have heard many times that people really don't enjoy a bit of caffeine with kava, I find that this really only pertains to mixing something like coffee and kava, which has quite a bit more caffeine than say something like a strained Sencha. Rooibos works quite well with kava, and highly suggest that or Honey Bush for home brewing.

If you ever want to try the stuff we are mixing up these days, check out Karunakava.com and use code DRINKKAVA for free shipping on orders of 50$ or use code rooted for a discount on any order.

I hope this helps, happy explorations.

Bula Vinaka
Thanks!