What's new

Different kavas for anxiety\sleep and for Euphoria?

currentbun

Kavacidal Maniac
If you are new to kava there may be a reverse tolerance issue. This may be the primary reason you are not getting any effects yet.
Was just going to suggest this. If you've ordered, that's great, but continue doing what you're doing. It seems to be different for everyone, but it took me a good week-- maybe a couple days more-- to really feel the effects.

Nicole

Kava Curious
3 tablespoons is not a lot.
Like 2-3 beers if comparing to booze. Preparation, and drinking on empty stomache are important. I've given Kava to many people with them always getting full effect.

I use 1-2.5 ounces for myself. Depends how krunked I want to get.

That is usually about 3-8 heaping table spoons.

Many, probably most, here use more than 3 tablespoons.
Thanks for all the great advice! Going to try again tomorrow! One more question.. Can I use it again? I feel like using 6 tbsp is probably going to use up the majority of the rest of my bag. If so, is there anything special you need to do with using it for a second wash preparation wise? Can you drink that the next day but itself or is the second wash like an addition to the first that you should drink after you finish the first batch?

EQ

Atman
Thanks for all the great advice! Going to try again tomorrow! One more question.. Can I use it again? I feel like using 6 tbsp is probably going to use up the majority of the rest of my bag. If so, is there anything special you need to do with using it for a second wash preparation wise? Can you drink that the next day but itself or is the second wash like an addition to the first that you should drink after you finish the first batch?
Good question.

If you follow my advice and knead it well until it is dry and spongy: it is dead. All chemicals are extracted and kneading becomes really hard actually. A second wash will give you nothing.

I only do a second wash if I want to take a break from kneading. Like yesterday I was squeezing out 3 ounces/ about 9 heaping Tablespoons for me and a friend and I got tired around 15 minutes. We drank the first batch and I kneaded out a quick second wash while my friend was struggling to down his last shell. Like 2 minutes of tough squeezing got the rest out.

And Kava isn't cheap. If you drank 6 Tablespoons a night than it is a hefty weight. A pound of Borongoru will run 8: 2 ounce/6 heaping tbl spoons. Alcohol is more expensive.
Once you get a Kava experience judge if the price fits.

You don't have to always use 6 tbl spoons. Tonight I went with 4. Feeling relaxed.

Last edited:

blindy107

Kava Lover
Everyone is different. Traditional preparation is superior in my opinion. You may just be a heavyweight like some of us on the forum. Not physically, just in regards to kava tolerance ::awesomesmiles:: Several of us require at least 8tbsp kneaded in 2-4 cups of water to get desired effects.

Stick with it. Keep asking questions. Hopefully you find what works for you! Though, in all honesty, Kava is outstanding for anxiety and sleeping. Not so much for waking up unexpectedly :yawn:

Nicole

Kava Curious
Good question.

If you follow my advice and knead it well until it is dry and spongy: it is dead. All chemicals are extracted and kneading becomes really hard actually. A second wash will give you nothing.

I only do a second wash if I want to take a break from kneading. Like yesterday I was squeezing out 3 ounces/ about 9 heaping Tablespoons for me and a friend and I got tired around 15 minutes. We drank the first batch and I kneaded out a quick second wash while my friend was struggling to down his last shell. Like 2 minutes of tough squeezing got the rest out.

And Kava isn't cheap. If you drank 6 Tablespoons a night than it is a hefty weight. A pound of Borongoru will run 8: 2 ounce/6 heaping tbl spoons. Alcohol is more expensive.

You don't have to always use 6 tbl spoons. Tonight I went with 4. Feeling relaxed.
Finally worked today -- 6tbsp in 300 ml like you suggested! Only thing is that I'm really not sure I like the type of feeling it's giving off lol. I hate to keep complaining, but I'm glad it worked! I think I may just need to try a different type!

EQ

Atman
Finally worked today -- 6tbsp in 300 ml like you suggested! Only thing is that I'm really not sure I like the type of feeling it's giving off lol. I hate to keep complaining, but I'm glad it worked! I think I may just need to try a different type!
6 tbl spoons in 300 mL is a grimy mix. I thought I said 600 mL.

The water amount isn't too important, but

You may like to space it out. If you drank that mean mix in one go you may have been bricked in the head too hard.

You may not have liked it because you got too krunked. What did you not like about it? and we can give recommendations on other varieties.

Nicole

Kava Curious
6 tbl spoons in 300 mL is a grimy mix. I thought I said 600 mL.

The water amount isn't too important, but

You may like to space it out. If you drank that mean mix in one go you may have been bricked in the head too hard.

You may not have liked it because you got too krunked. What did you not like about it? and we can give recommendations on other varieties.
Oh shit I thought you said 300 ml lol. I guess I'm just looking for something to decrease anxiety and put me in a generally good mood. I feel like this makes my head feel like it's not even attached to my body. I don't like that my mind feels impaired, if that makes sense. Like, I would never drive right now. It almost reminds me of another type of "high" from my earlier 20's. Not sure how much I can say on this thread ;)

EQ

Atman
Oh shit I thought you said 300 ml lol. I guess I'm just looking for something to decrease anxiety and put me in a generally good mood. I feel like this makes my head feel like it's not even attached to my body. I don't like that my mind feels impaired, if that makes sense. Like, I would never drive right now. It almost reminds me of another type of "high" from my earlier 20's. Not sure how much I can say on this thread ;)
Kava is intoxicating. It is a ceremonial drink of friendship.

It is also medicine.
Lower the dose.
I'm for certain 3 tablespoons will work for you if prepared right.

You just have to find the level you like to get too.

All strains of Kava will krunk you at 6 tablespoons. It is an effective psychoactive plant that is a healthy alternative to alcohol. Which many do drink Kava for.

You could try a weak mix like say 4 table spoons to a litre and drink it throughout the day.

A micro or instant may be better suited for you. So you can whip up small doses quickly.

Last edited:

Rooty2D

Kava Curious
I drink Kava mostly for the "next day effect" ,Kava will help me sleep sometimes but I find the next day my head is clear and my stress level is way down and easier to control . Kava seems to help me not get caught up in stressful thinking .

Last edited:

moff000

Kava Enthusiast
I drink Kava mostly for the "next day effect" ,Kava will help me sleep sometimes but I find the next day my head is clear and my stress level is way down and easier to control . Kava seems to help me not get caught up in stressful thinking .
I agree! I get the same effect/benefit.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Lower lower lower !!!!!!

That dosage is nice to break through RT but in no way do I use 6tbsp in one sitting ever .. I stick to 1 to 2 tablespoons if I'm at work....

Anything I would drink at work is a good place for someone who doesn't want to feel intoxicated at all... if you just have a nice 2 tablespoons of kava spread out by 20 minutes between the 2 .. then eat a nice meal... you will have relief for a long time and barley feel different other than the fact that yu just feel good and anxiety less...

If you really want a nice on the go that doesn't even get close to a krunk .. I suggest @Steve kava candy ! It's really cheap and works amazing and it's candy haha

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
Good question.

As a framer I have some pretty tough paws and feel I knead the shit out of kava for 15 mins. I still find that a second was with my hand blender sucks out some more kls, just trying to get the most out of my kava. I wonder what kind of techniques people have for kneading...
Also good point about alcohol being more expensive. Usually costs me $10 to get krunked on root and that's a couple beers at happy hour at our local pub...or a low end 6-pack. Plus I'm growing to dislike the effects beer has on me.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
As a framer I have some pretty tough paws and feel I knead the shit out of kava for 15 mins. I still find that a second was with my hand blender sucks out some more kls, just trying to get the most out of my kava. I wonder what kind of techniques people have for kneading...
Also good point about alcohol being more expensive. Usually costs me $10 to get krunked on root and that's a couple beers at happy hour at our local pub...or a low end 6-pack. Plus I'm growing to dislike the effects beer has on me.
I knead with warm two water for 5 minutes. Then I start the secondary washes. I use much less water and time for the secondary washes. Second wash I do 1/2 to 1 cup of water and knead for 1/2 to 1 minute. I do the same for the third wash. I do a 1/4 cup for a 1/2 minute as that is more to just let me know OK now they water is barely taking on that much color. I find the adding of new hot water in small amounts pulls the remaining oil out. At 5 minutes of the first wash the Kava still feels pliable so I know there is more to go. By that third small wash the Kava pulp really feels like wood pulp and dry like I did a good job and got the oils out. The fourth was is just a double check of sorts. So I probably do a max of 8.5 minutes of actual knead time. More like 6.5 and I have the root pulp pretty darn spent.

theGrogfather

Sipping on Waka juice. Laid back
I knead with warm two water for 5 minutes. Then I start the secondary washes. I use much less water and time for the secondary washes. Second wash I do 1/2 to 1 cup of water and knead for 1/2 to 1 minute. I do the same for the third wash. I do a 1/4 cup for a 1/2 minute as that is more to just let me know OK now they water is barely taking on that much color. I find the adding of new hot water in small amounts pulls the remaining oil out. At 5 minutes of the first wash the Kava still feels pliable so I know there is more to go. By that third small wash the Kava pulp really feels like wood pulp and dry like I did a good job and got the oils out. The fourth was is just a double check of sorts. So I probably do a max of 8.5 minutes of actual knead time. More like 6.5 and I have the root pulp pretty darn spent.
Damn, you got some mega strength happening down there Squanch. Interesting all the different techniques everyone comes up with. I posted my second wash technique a while back: http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/ctahr-extraction-method.5686/page-4#post-93596