What's new

Discuss and suggest blends

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
I rarely drink 100% of one type of kava. Usually it's a blend of some sort. This is mainly for economy; fantastic as PK and BKH are, it's quite expensive to ship them overseas so I blend with a cheaper kava and try to find the perfect balance between economy without totally diluting the effects.

Recently, I've been using JPT's "Lost Island" kava:

http://www.justpacifictrading.com/Lost-Island-Kava.php

....blended with a smaller amount of BKH Boroguru.

This seems to be turning into a fairly successful attempt.

The one time I went for a 100% LIK brew, I messed it up, had a minor explosion, and didn't extract for as long as I wanted. Even so, it was a potent kava, though not very nice tasting really.

Yesterday, I ran with 1.5 litres of water* to 10 tbsp of kava, in a blend of 7:3 LIK:Boroguru.

The result is a kava which takes at least half an hour, and more like an hour, to hit you. I had two shells. This is probably about 400ml. I was getting "pressure between the ears" which to me is a sure sign of a euphoric kava in restrained dosage. Not a huge muscle relaxing impact, although last night I slept very long and deeply. I got some nausea from this kava, however, after dinner and with 3 hours now passed since the initial dose this has passed.
I suspect that this could be a great blend both for several hours of euphoria and light-headedness, followed by a good sleep. I'm quite impressed, and surprised that it worked out so well. I could have drunk more to confirm this, but didn't want to push through the nausea; that's a stop sign from my body and I tend to heed it.

For anyone outside NZ, LIK is an expensive deal. I am not totally convinced it's worth the sum you'd have to pay (I think almost USD90 for 1 kilo including postage). For me in NZ, it's turning out to be a good kava which costs me an OK price and turns up in my mailbox in a few days.
I am now intrigued to see how well it blends with various other kavas.

What interesting and synergistic blends have you tried before, or use regularly?

* Starting amount. I must lose about 2-300ml during the kneading.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
I blend kava all the time, it will change the chemotype so you will get different effects, I remember that I separated the root from the corm of one of the plants I harvested, I had both tested using HPLC and using those results I could change the chemotype just by adding different quantities of root and stump, I also did that with different varieties, I know others here in Hawaii that also mix the kava.
I will also still drink single varieties but I will also continue to mix them, I have a wonderful mix of Hawaiian and Vanuatu right now, I have a feeling I am going to sleep real good. :D Aloha.

Chris

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

I wonder if there is a mathematical formula we can use to guesstimate what the chemotype might be after we mix some different kinds of kava together. Even if it was just a semi-educated wild guess it would be interesting.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
It'd be easy, if you knew the concentrations of the kavalactones and not just the relative amounts. I know Chris has posted some of that data about his awa elsewhere.

My favorite blend is boroguru + melomelo, usually about 1:1 ratio.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hay Vekta, I wish there were a simple way to find that out but there is not, there are some companies that give the total kavalactone content but without the break down of the 6 main kavalactones, you will not know the amount of each kavalactone and the chemotype is based on the amount of each kavalactone, so you would need to test each batch of kava that you want to mix, that way you can see the amount of each one and then you can actually calculate the chemotype of the different kava that you mix together.
For the most part if you have noble kava with a chemotype of say 463 or 462, as long as the kavain is in the primary chemotype and not the secondary, meaning the in the first 3 numbers, if that is the case you may or may not get a different effect, but I have found that almost always does change the effect and it is fun to experiment. If you mix Noble kava with tuday kava you will get strong effects and maybe stomach discomfort, I know some people in Hawaii that mix Isa a tuday kava with other Hawaiian kava, they do this to tame the Isa and help to take away the unwanted effects, kind of like watering it down with some noble kava. :D
Aloha.

Chris

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
Another run through with the 70:30 LIK:Boroguru blend. Good impact again. Taste continues to be simply rank. I think LIK on its own is a really bad tasting kava.

BKH Boroguru is a really great enabler kava. Just wish I had more!

Now that I have both BKH Koniak and PK ISA I wonder what a 50:50 blend of these two might end up like :bag::asshat::artist::eggonface::watching:

infraredz

BULA!
Most occasions:
5tbsp Nambawan & 4tbsp Boroguru

Day-time(ish) where I only want minimal relaxation:
5tbsp Melo Melo & 3tbsp Nambawan

Pain:
5tbsp Boroguru & 2tbsp Solomons & 2tbsp Nambawan

Social:
5tbsp Melo Melo & 3tbsp Solomons (sometimes Nambawan, depending on the situation)

Night:
6 tbsp Boroguru & 2 Koniak (this is only as I've been finishing my bag of Koniak, I'll have to find something else when I'm done. Maybe just straight Boroguru)

It's honestly gotten to the point now where I just sift through all my bags, think of exactly the effect I want, than mix according to that. Sometimes I do strange things like 4tbsp Boroguru, 1tbsp Koniak, 3tbsp Melo Melo and 1tbsp Solomon's. 4 different strains in one batch is the most I've ever done.
My current "standard" mix is 3tbsp Fijian Waka, 4tbsp Melo Melo and 2tbsp Nambawan.

I like to try out a kava just by itself for a good 4 or 5 days to really get a feeling for what it's like, but I unless I'm "testing" a particular strain, I usually always end up mixing them, even if only slightly.

See: http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/threads/kava-combos-and-combo-recipes.1615/ for other good suggestions

JonT

Kava Enthusiast
Ah, I can see you're a big Nambawan fan infra! I would suggest merging this thread into the older combo thread. I didn't know it existed and wouldn't have started this one if I had.

KavaJefe

Kava Curious
Just posted about my after work blend experience. 1 TBSP solomons with 2 TBSP of stone. Lemme tell you, it may not be for everyone, but I definitely found my happy place with that blend real quick!