What's new

Disney Moana kava reference

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
So I have been subjected to the movie Moana A LOT. While watching it occurred to me that there could be kava in there somewhere and I think I found a subtle hint during Maui’s (Dwayne the rock) you’re welcome song. About 1:20-1:30 ish, his tattoos are dancing around telling stories, and there is a quick thing where he grabs what looks like a coconut shell and knocks back some liquid.

I think the Rock is part Samoan, though not sure if he has cropped up on the famous people drinking kava Page.

Anyway, just a fun little bit of a kava trivia I suppose. Wondering if anyone else has noticed it in Moana or agrees that’s what it is!

Travis

Kava Enthusiast
I don't think Disney is ready for kava.
On a related note, my last trip to Disney world I stopped at the Polynesian resort. I had stopped there a few times, just because it is pretty upscale and they have little shops and restaurants, all in a Polynesian theme. I thought maybe they'd have at least some kava tea herbal mix in bags or some such thing. I was meandering around one of the gift shops and one of the women asked if I needed help and I asked if they have any kava. Knowing that Disney has employees all over the south pacific working at that resort, she smirked and said sadly no. We had a short conversation about kava and after seeing my scaly arms and hands, she knew I wasn't pulling her leg. She seemed as though I made her day.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
I don't think Disney is ready for kava.
On a related note, my last trip to Disney world I stopped at the Polynesian resort. I had stopped there a few times, just because it is pretty upscale and they have little shops and restaurants, all in a Polynesian theme. I thought maybe they'd have at least some kava tea herbal mix in bags or some such thing. I was meandering around one of the gift shops and one of the women asked if I needed help and I asked if they have any kava. Knowing that Disney has employees all over the south pacific working at that resort, she smirked and said sadly no. We had a short conversation about kava and after seeing my scaly arms and hands, she knew I wasn't pulling her leg. She seemed as though I made her day.
True - though it is so fast and subtle in the movie, so I think it could be.

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
I imagine that traditional Polynesians drank many liquids out of coconut shells. But I agree, for purposes, definitely kava.
I would think that’s true - but the context in the way movie presents it makes me think someone snuck it in there. I believe a lot of people with south pac islander heritage were involved in the movie. I don’t know why they would present it in that scene that way if it were just a random glass of water. But, perhaps I’ve had too much kava and I am seeing it everywhere.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I would think that’s true - but the context in the way movie presents it makes me think someone snuck it in there. I believe a lot of people with south pac islander heritage were involved in the movie. I don’t know why they would present it in that scene that way if it were just a random glass of water. But, perhaps I’ve had too much kava and I am seeing it everywhere.
Umm... No offense, but I'm pretty sure its supposed to be COCONUT WATER. (The shell is portrayed as still having the meat in it; and he plucks it from a line of various fruits.)

rapunzel

Kava Enthusiast
Umm... No offense, but I'm pretty sure its supposed to be COCONUT WATER. (The shell is portrayed as still having the meat in it; and he plucks it from a line of various fruits.)
Ha ha! I couldn’t even see that much detail to notice meat on the shell. it goes pretty fast. Your eyes are better than mine. Well, that was the closest I could get to a potential kava reference in that movie.

Bu-Laa Tribe

Kava Curious
I wouldn't doubt at all that it was a deliberate kava reference since animators are notorious for including little jokes. But coconut water is also likely.

Years ago they had an exhibit of the models and props used in the original Star Wars movies. It was funny some of the little jokes stuck on otherwise giant, forbidding, scary, Imperial Corellian cruisers.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
One thing that made me wonder about Moana, she always sails with the outrigger to starboard. Always. Was Disney magic providing favorable winds?

This is how you beat upwind in her style of canoe. It's called "shunting" rather than tacking.

BDAC9C45-6FE3-4B77-B13E-7B8EC447E5D6.png

The Moana canoes have hinged masts. To change directions you unstep the spar from the stem, flip the sail around, and step it on the opposite stem. The ama should always stay to windward.

AF90ED55-ECB8-4013-BE4B-699D83BF9581.png

Auwe auwe, and now you know the way, too. (an das da how)

B-Root

Kava Curious
I watched it when it first came out, pretty sure there would be some kava reference. So...I actually found two back-to-back scenes that show Tanoa/kumete (kava bowls) in the background being used to store coconuts. And No, its not the poi boards you see throughout the village. They are very clear and distinct kava bowls without any question. I will try to get a screenshot and follow up with a post. Both shots are about 1 second long.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I watched it when it first came out, pretty sure there would be some kava reference. So...I actually found two back-to-back scenes that show Tanoa/kumete (kava bowls) in the background being used to store coconuts. And No, its not the poi boards you see throughout the village. They are very clear and distinct kava bowls without any question. I will try to get a screenshot and follow up with a post. Both shots are about 1 second long.
Might have to watch it again. In kava drinking game mode, of course. Every time Maui yells CHEEEHOOO, chug a shell. Gets off to a slow start then picks up the pace just as you thought you could handle it.