What's new

Do any of you drink coffee along side your daytime kava?

Honolulusurfer88

Kava Curious
I've always saved kava for the evening. But a sample of lawena from the squanch guys is making me reconsider a few grogs of daytime while I work. Though I do love a bit of coffee during the day. One or two cups. just curious how well they go together, if at all?

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
I've always saved kava for the evening. But a sample of lawena from the squanch guys is making me reconsider a few grogs of daytime while I work. Though I do love a bit of coffee during the day. One or two cups. just curious how well they go together, if at all?
I do it, but I have been finding that I have been reducing the amount of coffee somewhat. It is more common for me to take caffeine then take kava an hour or two later with a still empty stomach. However, I have found that a single cup of coffee (w/out kava I would probably have a couple or more) and a little l-theanine seems to work okay with a few tbs of kava in the morning (works without the l-theanine too). Krunkie said in another post that he thinks kava potentiates the caffeine; I kinda think he might be right. Or at least caffeine emphasizes the more jittery elements in a heady kava. Its funny how a good dose of heady kava will almost remove my desire for coffee if I take it first.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I only do this if I get a bit too drowsy from the kava. I don’t usually start drinking kava until about noon though. Caffeine this late in the day ruins my sleep no matter how much kava I drink.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I enjoy coffee and kava together in the mornings. I find that since I started drinking kava my desire for coffee went way down, I drink coffee only half as often and drink smaller amounts when I do, but I enjoy it every bit as much as always. Just takes less to be satisfied.

My impression is that while coffee does not potentiate the kava, kava will potentiate the coffee somewhat. Not a huge effect, but some, so if your body is saying go a little easier on the coffee, I would listen to that.

Lawena and coffee for breakfast or at work is a great idea, for me, anyway, but I have a very mellow job.

gork

Kava Enthusiast
IMO? It definatly can..is at least with the kinds I like. Oh as a concrete example: Gym day! Weirdly? Coffe+Pouni Ono . YAR that rocks. Apply for work or weekend. Hot grean tea or chai +dark chocolate coco+Micronasian (cold weather) or iced tea+PapaKea and Iced Tea (when that gets back in) honey (in the iced tea) You can also try that Hanakapi Ai weirdly that can be a nice way to start a weekend with breakfast for me anyway.
But like Krunkie says; listen to your body. If you don't feel up to it or have tummy issues skip it.

Shelly McKrunkface

Kava Curious
Well, I am currently having some mixed late washes made from an assortment of Makas alongside a morning cup of coffee. Going to be a busy day and this mellow / mild kava along with just a bit of coffee has me feeling set up for the day. I am another who finds that my coffee cravings go way down when consistently drinking kava. I like the psychological feeling of a couple cups of coffee in the morning, but found that the only way to do that happily now is with smaller cups! And even with the small cup instead of a mug, I often don't finish the second cup of coffee, or want any more the rest of the day.

muddywaters

Kava Enthusiast
I have to space it out or the kava isn't as great for me or they can compete with each other a bit but in the end kava wins. If I know I'm having kava later I'll drink my second round of coffee earlier. My tolerance is high enough though where that won't make me too strung out though and I can deal with it.

Drseuss6969

I mostly drink instant, but I throw it in my coffee/every drink every morning. Honestly, it would feel really strange for me to drink kava during the day without caffeine.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I only drink maybe a small cup of coffee most days but it mixes fine with kava. If your having a good bit of both together be sure to drink extra water because of the combined diuretic effects