What's new

Do you feel that Kava warms you up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Some people say that alcohol warms them up when they feel cold. Do you guys get the same results from kava? I feel that it does warm me up to an extent. At least in my head, belly, and the back of my neck maybe..

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
If it hits me really good, I usually get a bit of a cool feeling, even if the air is hot. It only hits me significantly good a few times a year, so most of the time I just feel neutral(temperature-wise). If I get persistent nausea, then I can start to feel warm.

Last edited:

Jimmyricky

Kava Curious
I agree it feels as if it's warming you up like a nice blanket haha. But I believe alcohol gives the feeling of warmth when actually your body is getting colder. I wonder if this is the same in both situations.

Noah

Kava Curious
Kava makes me feel "warm" towards myself and others, but physically it's distinctly cool and slightly numbing(also associated with cold). Perhaps it's both yin and yang...

ThePiper

Kava Lover
So do you guys who feel it cools find yourselves more vulnerable to the discomforts of cold temperatures? I think part of the warming effect to me is from a reduction in feeling bothered by the cold. But now that I think about it there are a small number of the more stimulating varieties that have a shivery feeling to them that could make me feel kind of cold, like Tongan choice. What about the heavier strains, does hiwa, hanakapi, and vula waka make you guys feel cold, or is it only certain chemotypes? The average slightly inebriating euphoric Kava will make me feel immune to the cold in a way, which could be partly from the numb feeling?

Ed!

Kava Enthusiast
It definitely cools me. I can sit outside on a hot summer day and feel great with a bowl of kava. It can definitely be uncomfortable when it's cold out though.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, cooling. It's great to drink in summer, but in Winter i kind of shy away from it, at least if i plan to go outside.
I really dislike the cold.

D

Deleted User01

I feel Cooler also. I'm more likely to use the bed covers to warm up or wear socks to keep my feet nice and warm. Kava is great for curling up with a nice warm blanket in the winter.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Yeah it's definitely cooling me off. My wife as well. The Samoan bros at work say they drink it primarily in the summer for that reason.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
I think any warm feelings are associated with a dopamine response, which would vary a lot by individual. For me, I feel more of an energizing senation with heady kava and a knumbing and relaxing sensation with heavy kava. I think the energizing feeling could also be characterized as somewhat warming.

Warming seems to be more indicative of narcotics and I think kava has much different mechanisms

nabanga

Kava Enthusiast
I don't notice any difference apart from a breif cold shiver maybe just after swallowing a big shell, but like @blindy107 says, a lot of Samoans, Tongans & Fijians say it cools them down during a hot day. Sounds like an excuse to me...

Señor Chuggs

Friend of Kava
I think of it like the icy-hot muscle treatment stuff.

My skin tightens, and I get a bit of a shiver, or shudder.... generally falls under the "cooling" umbrella.

But my muscles loosen up, and my limbs go kind of limp, as if I am relaxing in a steamy shower.

I agree it's most comfortable on a hot day, but that doesn't stop me from putting on a coat and drinking kava outside all year round.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
Yeah I think maybe I equate the relaxing muscles to warming, because I'm a person who gets very stiff when I'm cold. Like an ahh feeling of relaxation when you sit in front of the fire.

Last edited:

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Interestingly, I think it can cause both cool and warm responses depending on a multitude of variables. I distinctly remember the first N@H Solomons giving me a warm feeling and also being a bit of a aphrodisiac. More commonly though, I get the hippie shakes from Kava. The Hanakapi Ai from GHK made me feel a bit cold and clammy when I had it. Fijian Kavas tend to make me feel a bit warm

IloveKava23

Kava Curious
I'm double aluballin' my 3rd cup of Taveuni's Secret from Kava Time and have to say I feel very warm. Throughout my hands to my head, my back, neck, but not everywhere

Status
Not open for further replies.