What's new

Do you flavor your kava ?

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Nope. root'n'water.
Kava King had some pretty good flavored instants though when I reviewed those.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I never really minded the taste of the root. I remember in my early days thinking that N@H's instant tasted awesome, and it was unflavored. I've always loved the taste of the piney flavor kavas, but it's rare for me to find a good one right now. What I don't like is when the strainer develops an old sock kind of flavor and some kavas have this on their own too I think. I generally like the taste of kava best when it is prepped very strong and plant-ish tasting, rather than watery.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
The flavor doesn't bother me much, and I have come to like some of them. Microgrind can be a bit gritty even after a lot of mixing which can make it harder to get down.

Krunkmeup

Kava Enthusiast
Just tried some orange squash with it.. yuk!
Bit of milk is good.
Would like to try coconut milk but I can't really have it on the diet I'm doijg

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Just tried some orange squash with it.. yuk!
Bit of milk is good.
Would like to try coconut milk but I can't really have it on the diet I'm doijg
My gosh, the last thing I'd flavor with is squash ! Ha.
This coconut milk, I heard can be a potentiator. Is this true ?
Or even coconut oil, I've also heard, if your diet allows that.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
With all due respect to everyone's opinion, I just cannot fathom people enjoying the kava flavor.
People talk about K@ tasting bad, but kava is 10 times worse to me.

Dr.Krunk

Certified Quack
With all due respect to everyone's opinion, I just cannot fathom people enjoying the kava flavor.
I'm not sure if it's enjoying the taste as much as it associating the effects to the flavor. I use to gag when trying to drink Kava. Now I can't say I necessarily like the taste but I don't mind it. You start to get used to the flavor after drinking Kava long enough. There are a few varieties though that actually taste good like some of the instants, KWK concentrate, and I think even 24wave tastes good.

You can add things to mask the flavor if you want. I'm sure you can come up with some sort of concoction that will work for you. For me personally there's already enough work involved in prep, I don't want to add more. I also like not worrying about calories, adding flavoring agents depending on what you choose can quickly turn it into an issue in that regard.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
I couldn't fathom it, neither. Until I could. I went literally overnight from thinking kava was the most horrible taste possible to loving the flavour. Sipping it to enjoy, swishing it around in my mouth, the whole works. Now I am quite happy to pour myself a 12 or 16 or even 20 oz shell and just sip and enjoy.

I dunno, something happens....

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
I agree with others here. You will suprised how the taste grows on you. Some of the real peppery Vanuatus are rough, but a light kava lile Cactus Loa Lawena have a nutty taste that is quite good. Keep drinking it straight and soon you wont look back. Like Mckrunkface said youll be happy to sip and enjoy it

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
There are a few varieties though that actually taste good like some of the instants, KWK concentrate, and I think even 24wave tastes good.
So, how many "varieties" of kava are there ? Not referring to vendor, but the botanical types.
Is there a complete list somewhere, and maybe a description of each, and how it's different ?