What's new

Do you have a kava ritual?

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Root

Kava Curious
After more than 17 years of mixing you find certain things, various protocols just stay with you. I guess you can call this ritual, depending on the context. We do try our best to express respect for the root and the medicinal value it shares with people by setting up a small ceremonial area on the floor, all of us sitting in a circle. We have a tendency to start each ceremony with jokes and laughter as we begin to mix, ragging on whoever is left with the job to mix the kava although others will help set up as he or she does so. This prep time for each kava circle is important and allows everyone to say hi, catch up and talk about the events that have recently passed. Once the kava is made, one person will take on the responsibility as a server for the night. Each person offers a few claps before they receive their shell and we always give the drinker silence while they drink down the shell. Even if its a birthday bash or farewell party with lots of people the silence will be always be called for before each and every shell. The silence brings the focus to the drinker and sometimes they may share a few words of wisdom or a send a shoutout to a friend or family member in need or not feeling well. Kava brings people together, it works through people in subtle but very magical ways and opens the platform for fluid conversations while always treating each other with respect.

Lil' Krunkette

Crawling Chaos
That's the perspective that was needed ^^
Silence gives Kava space
What an interesting bit of synchronicity this is! I just happened to see this thread. Honestly, one of the main reasons I'm trying kava is to see if/how it affects my attaining ritual consciousness. As part of my spiritual practice, I use a breathing technique called "the fourfold breath." Because I used to smoke cigarettes, I have some COPD issues. Couple that with mitral valve prolapse, and using breath control is almost impossible for me. Trying to (consciously) control my breath often causes a panicky reaction. Thus, I've had to use progressive muscle relaxation, autogenic series, and listening to isochronic tones and binaural beats instead of breath control. While these alone have helped, I'm still not able to go as deep as I'd like to go.

So far, the kava is helping. My ritual is to take a hot shower, then to sit quietly in a darkened room, listen to isochronic tones while trying to relax my muscles. Then I perform a few rituals (pentagram/hexagram banishing or Rose Cross ritual, then the Middle Pillar). The kava really seems to help me to slip into ritual consciousness. Not to sound too unicorns-and-butterflies about it, but the kava helps me tune into the sense of being part of a whole...ok, half a unicorn with a side of caterpillar...

So, I haven't developed a specific ritual for drinking the kava; I've brought the kava into my pre-existing practice, and it's really helpful. However, something as wonderful as this does deserve its own ritual, eh?

Please pardon the verbal diarrhea...I'm just really excited (in a calm way :giggle:) about this wonderful new aid, kava!
Lil K

Jellyman64

Δ Kavanaut Δ
I usually make the kava in my aluball and say bula when I have it. But I am looking to incorporate some spirituality into this mix, perhaps I should meditate or burn incense. In fact I could set up a little kava shrine in my room... I like the sound of that! I think I'll get some traditional and more ornate things to set kava apart from the rest of my possessions, as something truly special. I just ordered two small coconut shells off of amazon, and eventually I'd like to get a mini-tapestry and a hemp candle.

I can light incense and enjoy my kava, and just sit on the floor and meditate, listening to my body until the kava hits and I feel great!

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
I usually make the kava in my aluball and say bula when I have it. But I am looking to incorporate some spirituality into this mix, perhaps I should meditate or burn incense. In fact I could set up a little kava shrine in my room... I like the sound of that! I think I'll get some traditional and more ornate things to set kava apart from the rest of my possessions, as something truly special. I just ordered two small coconut shells off of amazon, and eventually I'd like to get a mini-tapestry and a hemp candle.

I can light incense and enjoy my kava, and just sit on the floor and meditate, listening to my body until the kava hits and I feel great!
I absolutely love the idea of a kava shrine. It’s fun, creative, and shows you honor the root! I may copy you. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.