What's new

Does Heavy Kava Cause Lots of Second Day Effects?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
Last night I drank more Kava than I generally do and I was drinking Stone at the time. Today, I woke up feeling pretty horrible: Really lethargic and my head in a fog. It wasn't as bad as an alcohol hangover, but not far off.

Is this normal? Lately, I've been drinking mostly heady kava's and haven't noticed this. However, the Stone really nailed me.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I sometimes drink "too much" kava (usually by accident, so to speak), i.e. I get strong double vision, cannot walk straight, etc. But as long as it's 100% noble, I wake up feeling super fresh and full of energy.

GussWest

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, I can get a kava hangover from too much kava, even nobles.
Especially if I don't drink enough water during the sesh and/or if I drink kava too close to lights out.

I try to drink an equal amount of pure water to kava consumed and stop shelling at least an hour before bed.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
Yes, I can get a kava hangover from too much kava, even nobles.
Especially if I don't drink enough water during the sesh and/or if I drink kava too close to lights out.

I try to drink an equal amount of pure water to kava consumed and stop shelling at least an hour before bed.
I'm thinking this was my problem. Usually I wake up feeling pretty good after drinking Kava the night before, but I ended up just downing the of the batch of grog I made right before bed and didn't drink any water.

I'll try upping my water and also not drinking it so close to bed.

Thanks!

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
Yea, I suppose hydration is the key to avoiding headaches. I finish drinking kava at around 8pm. I then eat a small dinner, drink some peppermint tea, plenty of water, etc and go bed a few hours later. I suppose if I was to go to bed straight after finishing a bucket of kava, I would probably wake up rather dehydrated.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I go on long drags of drinking heavy kavas. I only drink in the evening and stop just about an hour before I sleep, this often leads to the lethargic, brain-fog second day effects...especially after many successive days of strong doses with the same stuff. This is probably, in part, why traditional kava cultures seem to prize the cleaner, headier, quicker onset kava cultivars as their 'daily kavas' or "drinking kavas" -- variety seems to keep the good effects rolling, while minimizing staleness and side-effects to some degree...heavy stuff seems better suited for sporadic usage or 'medicinal' usage.

Last edited:

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I can feel pretty groggy the next morning with any kava but it's hydration related because as soon as I drink a lot of water in the morning it's usually gone. There are only a few that last much longer than that. BKH 11 yr waka gives me the best sleep ever but that can linger for a while longer the next day. No doubt it's noble just it's a pretty strong kava.

Just had a thought... @Kos I started getting pretty lethargic in the mornings and realised I needed to replace the b vitamins I was excreting through the extra peeing. Since I have been taking a multivitamin in the morning I notice that sort of lethargy a lot less.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Thinking about drinking straight before bed I have found that can be a really good way to get straight to sleep. As it's kicking in, especially certain kavas that are good for sleep, can send me off quickly. I don't find that always affects how I feel the next day. I think a lot is down to quantity. Saying the above I do prefer to drink early in the evening so I can ride out the effects, why go straight to sleep if you're feeling good? :)

verticity

I'm interested in things
A lot of it depends on what time you stop drinking kava, and what time you get up in the morning... like if you drink kava until midnight and get up at 5 am, you could have this issue. But in general, the heavy kavas do stay in your system longer than the heady ones..

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
I was drinking Stone and from what I'm finding, that is fairly heavy Kava. This is probably part of the issue.

Would you guys consider BKH Nangol Noble Kava a heavy Kava?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I was drinking Stone and from what I'm finding, that is fairly heavy Kava. This is probably part of the issue.

Would you guys consider BKH Nangol Noble Kava a heavy Kava?
I just went through a bag of Nangol Noble, it's similarly potent to Stone and is both distinctly heady and heavy. It's become one of my favorites. So, if you over do it, you could possibly feel a bit rough the next day...I only had one truly notable 'hangover' from it and that was because I started drinking a full strong batch at 10:30pm and didn't go to bed til 2am then slept for only six hours...if I could have slept til noon I would have probably felt great.

Last edited:

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
I just went through a bag of Nangol Noble, it's too be similarly potent to Stone and is both distinctly heady and heavy. It's become one of my favorites. So, if you over do it, you could possibly feel a bit rough the next day...I only had one truly notable 'hangover' from it and that was because I started drinking a full strong batch at 10:30pm and didn't go to bed til 2am then slept for only six hours...if I could have slept til noon I would have probably felt great.
I just tried some Nangol Noble tonight and it is a very good Kava. I'd say it is more heady for me than Stone, but defiantly has some body effects. What I like about this Kava versus Stone is it doesn't make me just want to go to sleep. Stone was about like taking sleeping pills for me.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Nangol noble was another one for me that I could tell was really strong but didn't know quite what it was doing for me. I didn't get amazing muscle relaxation and I didn't get particular euphoria, it was just a strong kava without anything pleasant I could attribute to it. I've been trying different kavas the last few days but drove to London last night, got there quite late so just aluballed some Tongan reserve and I got the mental and muscle relaxation I expect from it, just a beautiful kava. I couldn't say that about wow or nangol.

KrunkMunster

Kava Enthusiast
Nangol noble was another one for me that I could tell was really strong but didn't know quite what it was doing for me. I didn't get amazing muscle relaxation and I didn't get particular euphoria, it was just a strong kava without anything pleasant I could attribute to it. I've been trying different kavas the last few days but drove to London last night, got there quite late so just aluballed some Tongan reserve and I got the mental and muscle relaxation I expect from it, just a beautiful kava. I couldn't say that about wow or nangol.
It is interesting how Kavas affect us all differently. I find Nangol to have mostly a heady effect to begin with and then mellowing into a heavy effect later. I'm still fairly new to Kava, so I've not tried that many yet and so I probably have not yet experienced the full spectrum of heady <-> heavy. Stone definitely knocks my *ss, where as Nangol is pretty uplifting. I can only imagine with at WOWis like, as this is supposed to be even more heavy.

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
This is another one of those mystifying parts of the Noble vrs. Tudei controversy. I've felt next-day sicker off of extended Noble sessions than Tudei sessions. I always make sure to drink lots of water when I drink any kind of Kava.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
This is another one of those mystifying parts of the Noble vrs. Tudei controversy. I've felt next-day sicker off of extended Noble sessions than Tudei sessions.
imgpsh_fullsize.jpg

;) I hope you don't mind this little cartoon. A single individual's experiences can be meaningful, but obviously do not necessarily constitute any "mystifying" addition to the much larger debate and scientific opinion.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
It is interesting how Kavas affect us all differently. I find Nangol to have mostly a heady effect to begin with and then mellowing into a heavy effect later. I'm still fairly new to Kava, so I've not tried that many yet and so I probably have not yet experienced the full spectrum of heady <-> heavy. Stone definitely knocks my *ss, where as Nangol is pretty uplifting. I can only imagine with at WOWis like, as this is supposed to be even more heavy.
Yes, I was surprised the milk didn't give you a better result as for most people it gives stronger effects. They are some strong kavas you're talking about and there are a lot of other kavas out there that give better results even if they are actually less "potent" overall. For instance, I find most Borogu variants can give me better euphoria than most other strains but overall it won't bowl you over.

Status
Not open for further replies.