What's new

Does kava give anyone muscle twitches ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I’ll get a quick sudden body or leg jerk sometimes. Not necessarily while I’m drinking, but in the day.
Thanks.
Should I interpret that the literal way that it sounds - that you only get one "jerk" the entire day ?
Or like, one jerk at a time, separate from the others, but multiple times that day ?

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Thanks.
Should I interpret that the literal way that it sounds - that you only get one "jerk" the entire day ?
Or like, one jerk at a time, separate from the others, but multiple times that day ?
Not everyday...but every once in a while I'll have an involuntary jerk...kind of like the 'hypnic jerk' you get when you fall asleep sometimes. But instead i'm awake.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
So the answer is actually MORE kava then ? :)
No idea! :) I figure kava can hit people differently. For the most part there's a good 80% overlap in our Kava experiences Venn diagram, but outside that overlap, pretty much anyting can happen, from what I hear people say. The same kava can knock one person out and make another feel wired all night and the next day. And of course, we change over time and what one kava did to us 6 months ago it might not do at all now. Or at least, the possibles are a large category.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
Kava can relax the muscles. This is why, with large amounts of what I am pretty sure most spoke about as being NON-noble, they would end up cross-eyed for a period of time. The muscles that hold the eyes in place were too relaxed! I don't hear of this happening often. At least, in my limited time with kava and on this reputable forum. However, I do know a few here have had that happen. For me, it relaxes in a good way and takes away anxiety. The way it would affect my muscles, in particular, are somewhat like after a hard workout, instead of an Epsom salt bath (which does the same to my muscles). The muscle fibers may twitch a bit while relaxing but never had an involuntary muscle jerk.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Kava can relax the muscles. This is why, with large amounts of what I am pretty sure most spoke about as being NON-noble, they would end up cross-eyed for a period of time. The muscles that hold the eyes in place were too relaxed! I don't hear of this happening often.
The cross eyed effect happens with nobles when high enough amounts are consumed. It seems to be more common with heady/high kavain types of kava as I rarely experience it when drinking heavy kava or non noble. It used to be more common when we had more kava available closer to the 10% KL range.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
I’ll get a quick sudden body or leg jerk sometimes. Not necessarily while I’m drinking, but in the day.
The muscle fibers may twitch a bit while relaxing but never had an involuntary muscle jerk.
I'm sorry but could someone explain the difference between a twitch and a jerk ?
I'm not sure which one I have. And not sure what I should do, or if I should be concerned, because I seem to have the twitch OR jerk multiple times a day, somewhat frequently, and much more common than others here.
In fact, sometimes it happens every minute or 2, while I'm drinking the kava, and it's a bit risky, because one of the most common locations is my whole left arm, which is usually what I use to hold the kava. So when the twitch/jerk happens, the arm shakes enough to make waves in the kava and spill a little, if it's near the top.

BulamamatoNCIRVCKKPC

Learn to love me, assemble the ways...
I'm sorry but could someone explain the difference between a twitch and a jerk ?
I'm not sure which one I have. And not sure what I should do, or if I should be concerned, because I seem to have the twitch OR jerk multiple times a day, somewhat frequently, and much more common than others here.
In fact, sometimes it happens every minute or 2, while I'm drinking the kava, and it's a bit risky, because one of the most common locations is my whole left arm, which is usually what I use to hold the kava. So when the twitch/jerk happens, the arm shakes enough to make waves in the kava and spill a little, if it's near the top.
I have never experienced this due to kava consumption. My muscles relax due to kava. However, I usually choose heavy to very heavy kavas. I don't know if this is related to kava? Could it be anxiety? Does it stop after your session with kava? I really don't know. I hope you figure it out soon.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
In my own opinion/definition, I might say a twitch is milder or confined to a smaller area of your body and a jerk might be a bit more powerful and incorporate movement from more of your body if not your whole body. But my experience with these, as they pertain to kava consumption, is that they are sudden, random, occasional, single movements. It's not repetitious, long lasting or predictable. A single quick involuntary spasm is all.

As for other kava related 'movements', I've read reports of people drinking too much kava in Vanuatu, which is typically quite strong, and when they've had too much, their body trembles for some amount of time, until it wears off. On occasion, certain kavas or doses, or drinking root too soon after drinking liquor will sometimes give me an anxious-tremor feeling which subsides after about 20 min. This is more of a quivery movement, like shivering.

I've also read a rare report or two that kava was believed to cause 'parkinson-ism' in certain individuals...this is likely a rare genetic issue that a very small minority of kava drinkers might face...it may also require kava + (unknown medication) to occur. Who knows. I also recall reading warnings in the past that people with Parkinson's disease shouldn't drink kava. In my own experience with something similar to this, I made a strong batch of kava once and drank it with a friend who typically drinks alcohol, after a few shells, her head began to sway back and forth slowly beyond her control. It was transient in this case and didn't persist. But if you're having persistent involuntary motor function issues that seem to be related to kava, I'd stop for a while to see if it subsides, consider any other medications you may be mixing with kava that could be causing it and perhaps quitting kava altogether if appears to be the sole cause. You definitely wouldn't want to provoke any neurological issues you might personally be susceptible to.

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
In my own opinion/definition, I might say a twitch is milder or confined to a smaller area of your body and a jerk might be a bit more powerful and incorporate movement from more of your body if not your whole body. But my experience with these, as they pertain to kava consumption, is that they are sudden, random, occasional, single movements. It's not repetitious, long lasting or predictable. A single quick involuntary spasm is all.

As for other kava related 'movements', I've read reports of people drinking too much kava in Vanuatu, which is typically quite strong, and when they've had too much, their body trembles for some amount of time, until it wears off. On occasion, certain kavas or doses, or drinking root too soon after drinking liquor will sometimes give me an anxious-tremor feeling which subsides after about 20 min. This is more of a quivery movement, like shivering.

I've also read a rare report or two that kava was believed to cause 'parkinson-ism' in certain individuals...this is likely a rare genetic issue that a very small minority of kava drinkers might face...it may also require kava + (unknown medication) to occur. Who knows. I also recall reading warnings in the past that people with Parkinson's disease shouldn't drink kava. In my own experience with something similar to this, I made a strong batch of kava once and drank it with a friend who typically drinks alcohol, after a few shells, her head began to sway back and forth slowly beyond her control. It was transient in this case and didn't persist. But if you're having persistent involuntary motor function issues that seem to be related to kava, I'd stop for a while to see if it subsides, consider any other medications you may be mixing with kava that could be causing it and perhaps quitting kava altogether if appears to be the sole cause. You definitely wouldn't want to provoke any neurological issues you might personally be susceptible to.
I agree with this. Also OP, if your entire arm is doing a movement and causing you to slosh your kava, I would personally call it a jerk.

There is a thing my PCP told me about when he gave me muscle relaxers; if your muscles get too relaxed with muscle relaxers, they will have involuntary and sometimes painful jerks as a protective mechanism to keep your body from getting an injury from being too relaxed. I wonder if this could be the case with you and kava or if this only applies to muscle relaxer pills.

It's good you're asking about this. This thing is worthwhile to look into and see if you can find the cause of it. Sorry to hear about your spilled grog too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.