What's new

Does kava show up on drug tests?

Status
Not open for further replies.

exit stage left
I'm not sure if I'll be drug tested while in treatment for anorexia. I've been told that I am expected to abstain from all substances, including alcohol, while I am in treatment. Does this include kava? If they decide to drug test me, will kava show up as a positive somewhere? How long should I give up the kava prior to the drug test for it to be out of my system?

I'm also thinking of applying for a job in January that will include drug testing, so all of the above questions apply here too.

KavaCat

Meow.
It almost definitely will not, unless you've got some VERY outside-the-box drug tests. Haha! But even if it did, it is not illegal, so it wouldn't matter to a future employer. However, as far as anorexia treatment goes, you may not want to have too much kava. It tends to stunt your appetite, which I imagine you will need desperately, in order to motivate yourself to eat anything. I'm sure that they will want you to reach some goals, weight wise, so make sure that your consumption of kava doesn't get in the way of that, or they may bring scrutiny upon it. I have ED in the opposite direction (binges), so I wish you the best of luck. I know we have complete opposite behaviors, but I know exactly what it's like when doing what is best for your body is completely at odds with what your mind and feelings are telling you to do. Good luck! I wish you well. Please check in with us from time to time. ::lurvez::

exit stage left
I find kava helps and hurts when it comes to anorexia. I am more motivated to have an empty stomach so that the kava has maximum effect, but once I've taken the kava I have much less anxiety around food and am generally able to eat more/different things than I would have without it. When I start treatment I'll be commuting to another city for it, so I'll likely only consume kava on the weekends/occasional weeknight. Or maybe think about cutting it way, way down. If they don't want us to even drink alcohol, even if I say that kava is an herbal supplement they might not be for it.

That said, I've gained 3 pounds this week and it's really freaking me out. I don't know if it's the kava, or if I'm retaining water, or if I'm eating more than I think I am.

KavaCat

Meow.
I find kava helps and hurts when it comes to anorexia. I am more motivated to have an empty stomach so that the kava has maximum effect, but once I've taken the kava I have much less anxiety around food and am generally able to eat more/different things than I would have without it. When I start treatment I'll be commuting to another city for it, so I'll likely only consume kava on the weekends/occasional weeknight. Or maybe think about cutting it way, way down. If they don't want us to even drink alcohol, even if I say that kava is an herbal supplement they might not be for it.

That said, I've gained 3 pounds this week and it's really freaking me out. I don't know if it's the kava, or if I'm retaining water, or if I'm eating more than I think I am.
Oh! Well yes, that could be good, if it helps you relax enough to eat. Don't worry about the 3 lbs! You will eventually find a place where the calories you eat, and the number your body is burning are the same. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.