What's new

Don't smell yo strainer bag

Szafirek

Kava Curious
I have no such problem. I wash the bags before each use. I leave them with access to air before washing, so the root leftovers in the bag dry quickly. Without access to air, the smell is really bad.
Try @yiki 's methods to get rid of the bacteria.

Last edited:

Zaphod

Kava Lover
I wash and soak my bags in vinegar - it keeps the bag clean, almost white, and smelling just fine. I am bad about cleaning my bags, and tend to leave wet soaked kava in them all night and don't clean them until morning (I am lazy, doubly so when krunk). I have found vinegar to be the best at cleaning up sticky kavalactones. Better than high proof alcohol/IPA, soaps, or even running them through the dishwasher. I have two bags that I started doing this with over a year ago and while they don't look new they are whiter than any other bags I have.

Russell Caruso

TravelingMan
I've unintentionally let mine sit for a couple dayse, before. After a good rinse with scorching water it was fine. Generally I try to wash them ASAP but after getting krunked, sometimes bed just calls. Usually they're pretty sturdy, I guess depending on the material. Most of mine come from Kalm with Kava (I think?) and they always perform really well and stay pretty clean, no smell or anything, even after plenty of uses. I think the key, like others have said, is just making sure they have access to air. Leaving it in a tight cup or something always leaves a sort of not so good smell.

KavaKween

Kava Curious
Immediately after making a batch, I wash the bag thoroughly with dish soap and water, then air dry it on one of those plastic bag dryer stands. I use a little milk, so it is particularly important to clean it right away. The bag gets discolored pretty quickly, but they don't smell badly and seem to last forever. Normally, I only change the bag because it feels like I should. It is inevitable that the fabric will degrade, but I haven't noticed any diminished taste or performance with my usual strainer bags. Wakacon has been my bag of choice for a while now, but I sometimes use the Kavafied pro bag, too. Occasional boiling sounds like a good idea.

kavakarma

Kava Enthusiast
Wow, I rinse inside and out after use then hang dry. Strainer smells good. Alcohol sounds good to use as does vinegar. If you do not mind ten minutes of rinsing, soap it up. I have sterilized mine with hydrogen peroxide before. I am surprised, so long you rinse and hang dry your cloth should stay fresh. If not, try soap or solvents mentioned. Malok!

By the way, I did use vinegar once. Nice and clean.