What's new

Drinking

Akava

Kava Enthusiast
Since I started Kava 6 months ago I haven't had a drop to drink,

but my friends having a big party and I feel it would be a shame to have a drink especially because I have no real kava on me only extracts so I cant get krunked to begin so Im kind of tempted...

What do you guys think?

Skywalker

Kava Enthusiast
I understand your worries. Kava seems to be able to completely clear up problems with booze, and you don't want to ruin that.

In my opinion, I'd go have a good time. Give kava a break for a day. I find that as soon as I get back on the kava I couldn't care less about booze. The effect is almost instant.

Once you remember what a hangover is, you'll remember why kava is so amazing

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@Akava, I'm trying to use Kava as an Alcohol substitute.

I'm not trying to totally stop alcohol but I wouldn't mind if it turned out that way.

I usually go for 2 weeks to a month or so without drinking, and then drink alcohol for a day or two before going back to the Kava.

The two biggest problems I have when doing this is that when I drink alcohol again, I go right back to my old drinking habits. Because I haven't been drinking for a while, this really knocks me out (literally can't make it through the day before passing out/falling asleep).

The other problem is after a couple of days of drinking is trying to stop again and go back to using Kava. Once I restart Kava, I'm totally fine. It's just forcing myself through the 1st day after stopping Alcohol again to switch back to Kava.

So my advice, based on my experience, is make sure that when you start drinking again you really take care to pace yourself. You'll be really surprised at how much your resistance to alcohol has dropped. Then when your done, do whatever it takes to pick a day to restart using Kava again and stick to it. After that first day back, you should be fine again.

Regards
Bob
(let me know how it goes for you, if you do it)

violet

Do all things with love
I don't know what your intentions are with regard to the amount of alcohol you might be imbibing, but if it's more than a few drinks, I'd give the body an extra day of rest before hitting the kava again. Extract or not, kava consumption on a stressed liver isn't a good combination, IMHO.

Whatever you end up doing, have a great time :)

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I'm some parts of Europe a light lunch or snack consisting of a sandwich and one small beer. In general, the culture surrounding alcohol is rather different in Europe than it is in the United States. If I were to drink anything again I would take a look traditions that are seen as socially acceptable in those cultures and use those as a template for my own thoughts about it, not just about my participation with it. Alcohol has it's place in the world...and a place in your world.

One question: What is it's place in your life at the moment? Some things are easier when condensed down to a binary choice. 1 or 0, drink, or not to drink...regardless of any external influences.

Akava

Kava Enthusiast
Well before kava I'd only drink once every few weeks or every month and have maybe a few drinks

I'm planning on having 3 drinks max.

So I'm wondering if I should stop kava a day in advance and how long to wait after drinking

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I personally would take a week off the kava if I was going to have anything more than a sample or two. I still use alcohol in cooking so I have to sample them to make sure I'm using one that's acceptable. Anything more than that and one or the other has to take weeks hiatus.

So...A week before and a week after? Well....not exactly but it's in the ball park.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I like to leave about 24 hours between kava and alcohol consumption, i.e. never on the same day.

Last edited: