What's new

Edible Kava Issues

P

Paul

I have an extremely sensitive stomach and struggle drinking more than a handful of kava shells so I have been trying to find a way to make a Kava extract at home and make it decent to eat/drink and have struggled. Comments, questions or suggestions are greatly welcome! As a note I used kava from a bag that I knew was potent and I have been drinking kava for a while and have worked through a bit of the reverse tolerance. I typically feel minor kava effects after 1 shell.

Experiment #1 - I used a double boiler to extract the kavalalactones using medical grade isopropyl alcohol. I had it just under boiling for 2 hours then I kneaded out the alcohol and let it evaporate away. I was left with a dark green/brown sticky substance that tasted horrible with very good numbing effects. As it tasted so bad I mixed it with chocolate and let it harden. I ended up breaking the chocolate into pieces and swallowing it - the amount of kava/chocolate I ate was equal to about 1/4c root BUT the effects were less than 1 shell's worth. As I extracted the kava correctly I wonder if the chocolate failed to dissolve in my stomach.

Experiment # 2 - I tried to reproduce canabutter with Kava. I used 1c kava and 11/2c butter and let it sit in a double boiler just under boiling for 2 hrs. Then I kneaded out the butter into a bowl to harden. I ended up losing 1/2c of butter in the process due to the root absorbing it. I tasted 1tbs and noted very good results but I refuse to eat butter plain. So I then mixed 1/2c of the butter into a milkshake and drank it. This resulted in zero effects - I don't know why as the butter was potent.

Experiment #3 - I kneaded 1c kava, 1/2c coconut oil with 4c water. I then put it into a refrigerator with the hopes that the coconut oil would cleanly separate and harden. After 24hrs I ended up with a sheet of solid coconut oil about the thickness of paper that ended up being about 1tbs worth. The oil was very potent but I had hoped for more. Thinking that the slurry was too concentrated and wouldn't release the oils I then added about a gallon of water, 1/2c coconut oil and heated it for 30min. This resulted was a thicker build up of coconut oil at the surface but the potency was greatly reduced.

My take away:
1. At least for me I think kava edibles are a failure as I believe that mixing food with kava ruins it. I also wonder if kava has most of its effects and absorption in the stomach (which may be an ignorant comment) which food would therefore ruin.
2. Butter is to messy / difficult to deal with / difficult to consume
3. I don't trust alcohol extraction as I heard it also extracts harmful items. I haven't verified it but I don't want to roll the dice with it either.
4. I liked the Kava coconut oil and think it has the best chance for success but I'm considering kneading it in water and then straining and letting it sit on heat for a few hours with coconut oil for a few hours

Questions:
1. Can someone describe how they successfully extract kava? I'm curious what quantity of ingredients you use in which order
2. Has anyone had success with edibles? I don't want to eat straight butter or coconut oil.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Well...if I want an extract I just buy it from Paradise Kava which is not an alcohol extraction. Yeah, it's expensive but the thing you're trying to make already exists in the form of PK extract. It's fairly mild and a pea-sized dose can go a long way.

I haven't read much from other members about home made extracts. It's neat to try to do. I didn't notice any trend spawning from the idea though.

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
I have an extremely sensitive stomach and struggle drinking more than a handful of kava shells so I have been trying to find a way to make a Kava extract at home and make it decent to eat/drink and have struggled. Comments, questions or suggestions are greatly welcome! As a note I used kava from a bag that I knew was potent and I have been drinking kava for a while and have worked through a bit of the reverse tolerance. I typically feel minor kava effects after 1 shell.

Experiment #1 - I used a double boiler to extract the kavalalactones using medical grade isopropyl alcohol. I had it just under boiling for 2 hours then I kneaded out the alcohol and let it evaporate away. I was left with a dark green/brown sticky substance that tasted horrible with very good numbing effects. As it tasted so bad I mixed it with chocolate and let it harden. I ended up breaking the chocolate into pieces and swallowing it - the amount of kava/chocolate I ate was equal to about 1/4c root BUT the effects were less than 1 shell's worth. As I extracted the kava correctly I wonder if the chocolate failed to dissolve in my stomach.

Experiment # 2 - I tried to reproduce canabutter with Kava. I used 1c kava and 11/2c butter and let it sit in a double boiler just under boiling for 2 hrs. Then I kneaded out the butter into a bowl to harden. I ended up losing 1/2c of butter in the process due to the root absorbing it. I tasted 1tbs and noted very good results but I refuse to eat butter plain. So I then mixed 1/2c of the butter into a milkshake and drank it. This resulted in zero effects - I don't know why as the butter was potent.

Experiment #3 - I kneaded 1c kava, 1/2c coconut oil with 4c water. I then put it into a refrigerator with the hopes that the coconut oil would cleanly separate and harden. After 24hrs I ended up with a sheet of solid coconut oil about the thickness of paper that ended up being about 1tbs worth. The oil was very potent but I had hoped for more. Thinking that the slurry was too concentrated and wouldn't release the oils I then added about a gallon of water, 1/2c coconut oil and heated it for 30min. This resulted was a thicker build up of coconut oil at the surface but the potency was greatly reduced.

My take away:
1. At least for me I think kava edibles are a failure as I believe that mixing food with kava ruins it. I also wonder if kava has most of its effects and absorption in the stomach (which may be an ignorant comment) which food would therefore ruin.
2. Butter is to messy / difficult to deal with / difficult to consume
3. I don't trust alcohol extraction as I heard it also extracts harmful items. I haven't verified it but I don't want to roll the dice with it either.
4. I liked the Kava coconut oil and think it has the best chance for success but I'm considering kneading it in water and then straining and letting it sit on heat for a few hours with coconut oil for a few hours

Questions:
1. Can someone describe how they successfully extract kava? I'm curious what quantity of ingredients you use in which order
2. Has anyone had success with edibles? I don't want to eat straight butter or coconut oil.
Try double boiling traditionally prepared kava into a powder. Combine with brownie mix and bake.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Paul,

By sensitive stomach, do you mean nausea? Have you tried some anti-nausea measures? Ginger beer is excellent IMO. I had some nausea with kava last month and that got me through it.

One idea I had for edible kava was taking some instant (Gourmet Hawaiian Kava Instant is excellent), and putting it in gelcaps or combining it with a simple no-cook recipe like this one (http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/04/28/chocolate-orange-naked-bars/). I've never actually tried that since I generally have an iron stomach.

I worry that prolonged exposure to heat would destroy kavalactones so baking e.g. would not be feasible, although we've found that you can make kava in boiling water and it turns out okay so who knows.

On the old forum several people tried baking and it just never worked out.

The only really quality no-prep kava products in my experience are instant, which is dehydrated freshly made kava, and CO2 extracts which are not feasible to do at home.

Last edited:

yepimonfire

Kava Enthusiast
Paul,

By sensitive stomach, do you mean nausea? Have you tried some anti-nausea measures? Ginger beer is excellent IMO. I had some nausea with kava last month and that got me through it.

One idea I had for edible kava was taking some instant (Gourmet Hawaiian Kava Instant is excellent), and putting it in gelcaps or combining it with a simple no-cook recipe like this one (http://stupideasypaleo.com/2013/04/28/chocolate-orange-naked-bars/). I've never actually tried them since I generally have an iron stomach

I worry that prolonged exposure to heat would destroy kavalactones so baking e.g. would not be feasible, although we've found that you can make kava in boiling water and it turns out okay so who knows.

On the old forum several people tried baking and it just never worked out.
I doubt baking would be a problem. Couple of people on other forums have even smoked it and while absolutely horrid tasting it still worked.

If nausea is an issue avoid vanuatu kavas or anything with high DHM.

Sent from my KFTT using Tapatalk HD

CanAwa

1 kava 2 kava 3 kava COUCH
I wanted to try using a butane extraction but you can't get quality n-butane shipped here ..if you are in the states then you can buy some from Capital butane I think it is and use the same procedure as making honey oil. It would be interesting to see how it turns out

P

Paul

CanAwa - I probably wont try butane, i just dont see it working well as the root is generally ground so fine and I dont want to risk an accident.
KavaDude - Yes i mean nausea Ive thrown up over a dozen times. Does anyone know how long it takes to develop a taste for Kava?
Vekta - I like the Paradise Kava extract but wanted to create a way to do it cheaper. After all my failed attempts it would have been better worth my money just to buy a big bottle of it though.

I think my best bet is to just buy alot of the instant kava. It is much easier to drink and it can also be added into other things easily. The only instant ive tried is from Bula which I found hit me hard but also left quickly. Who has the best instant?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Are you throwing it up immediately or does it happen later on? Like is it from the act of drinking kava or an actual effect of the kava? Developing a taste for kava...I don't think it's possible.

I've tried most instants, the only two I care for are Kava Kauai's Kava Kwik (I think this is the cheapest one, it was the last time I checked) and Gourmet Hawaiian Kava's instant (which is insanely good). I've also found instant kava to leave fairly quickly although GHK's seemed to last longer than the others I've tried.

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
It's the scientist in me that just wants to keep trying to come up with the best way to extract all the goodness. I refuse to give up B|

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P

Paul

Kavadude- it's not immediately after but usually after a couple shells. My game plan is when I drink kava to spread out the shells by 30-40min

Kava lot - I made an interesting discovery - my coconut oil extract had only a minor physical aspect but a high mental effect with heavy grogginess. The mental effect seemed to be the negative aspects like a loud buzzing in my ears without the stress relief aspect. I wish I had drunk the left over kava to see if it contained the rest of the kava effects.

KavaLot

Kava Enthusiast
My recent extraction used acetone but I only attempted it once. I mixed it with a tbs of honey and a few drops of lime. It tasted really good and the effects were great. The residual acetone scared me though. I'm searching for a safer method. I've been reading up on CanAwa's butane recommendation and think it would work. Because we both live in Canada we can't get our hands on clean butane which sucks. I looking a propylene glycol as well.

CanAwa

I wish I could get the good butane to try this ...I'm almost sure it would turn out not too bad ..even tho I'm using dry root

CanAwa

My recent extraction used acetone but I only attempted it once. I mixed it with a tbs of honey and a few drops of lime. It tasted really good and the effects were great. The residual acetone scared me though. I'm searching for a safer method. I've been reading up on CanAwa's butane recommendation and think it would work. Because we both live in Canada we can't get our hands on clean butane which sucks. I looking a propylene glycol as well.

Kavalot !!! I was just typing a reply and you wrote that ! I'm convinced it would work just as well assuming I could get the n-butane but I can't ..propelyne glycol is interestesting !! Never even considered...do tell!!