What's new

Effects changing?

moduinne4

Kava Curious
Anyone else have effects of a certain kind of kava change after only a couple of uses?

I haven't had 11 year waka in months and it used to be energizing/heady but last night it just made me soooo sleepy.
It's usually a good go-to for day time for me but I'm afraid to try it again today.

kava_chief

Kava Curious
I've been noticing this lately for myself, too. I think a few things beyond the right-away grab at biological changes due to kava or age that are more likely to explain it are your mood and your health (both in that period of your life and in terms of what you've eaten that day..e.g. fatty foods or foods that take a lot of energy to digest), or, and this is less likely, slight changes in the kavalactone profile due to growing variable variation and/or (for a few vendors) changing the recipe without changing the labels. Not saying that's what's going on with the 11 year but I have seen some vendors admit it.

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
I've been consuming 11 year waka micro exclusively for almost the last year. One of the reasons is the predictability I've been getting out of it. For me the effects are very heady at first but begin to become sedative after a couple of hours. I do eat diner about 30 minutes after my last shell though so that may be a factor as well.

moduinne4

Kava Curious
I've been consuming 11 year waka micro exclusively for almost the last year. One of the reasons is the predictability I've been getting out of it. For me the effects are very heady at first but begin to become sedative after a couple of hours. I do eat diner about 30 minutes after my last shell though so that may be a factor as well.
How much do you take in one sitting (per shell)?

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Anyone else have effects of a certain kind of kava change after only a couple of uses?
I have, definitely.

In my experiences it's usually because it was a different harvest or batch of the same brand or variety. Or, it was something inherent in the nature of that kava, e.g. I and others have experienced with Tongan Family Reserve that it is a strong kava (and an excellent one!) and the first time you drink it, you get this incredible heady euphoria. But only the first time. Subsequent sessions are extremely pleasant, it is a fantastic kava. But that euphoria is not there.

OTOH, My first sesh with Eua was very nice but not especially noteable. Real good, don't get me wrong, very good and worth the price but not "impressive." But..... the second sesh with it was better, and the third better than that, and the fourth.... And the character was different, too, more depth to the headiness and that was all from the same batch. I have noticed, also, that while the flavour of a kava didn't change, the way I experienced it did. First four shells of nangol I couldn't stand the taste althugh effects were great, but by the 5th shell I loved it. It was the same prep. I loved my first prep of nambawan, but the second I loved even more. It was the same taste, but I had changed.

Then there's Squanch. Only has two modes: as good as the last time or "even better." About the most consistent kava experience I've found, never disappoints, never apologizes, just Squanches on.

And, of course, there's mood and setting and time of day and food in stomach, all variables which I rigidly control in the name of science, even to the extent of consistently replacing toilet paper rolls in the dispenser the right way, lest a glitch in the universe should affect my sacred krunk. Sorry, I wrote that last sentence under the guidance of nambawan. I'm innocent. I swear.

Last edited:

Tfin

Kava Enthusiast
How much do you take in one sitting (per shell)?
I'll put two Tlbs in a bit more than a cup of liquid (used to be fruit juice but I've switched back to just water with a couple squirts of either lime or lemon juice).

Then repeat this same process 20-30 mins later. I've been getting fantastic results from this with the 11 year waka micro.

D

Deleted User01

I tell ya one thing, if you are worn out from a long weekend or a bad day at work, any kava will put you to sleep.