What's new

Extreme negative reaction with fever

Status
Not open for further replies.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
Hello all,

I had been drinking BKH 11 year waka for over a week with no bad effects, just some dry skin. I received my order of GHK and tried 2 tablespoons of the micro moi on Wenesday night and felt ill with shakes and fever that night. I thought maybe it was the micro so last night I tried 2 tablespoons of instant nene. 3 hours later I have neber been so sick in my life. I had the shakes, terrible fever, so uncomfortable in bed but couldn't get up or walk. When I tried to get up to get a glass of water my heart was pounding and I was so weak I couldn't even walk. It was truly scary. Am I becoming allergic to Kava? I don't have any hives or anything. I cant imagine its a problem with the kava I drank as GHK is reputable. Sucks.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hello all,

I had been drinking BKH 11 year waka for over a week with no bad effects, just some dry skin. I received my order of GHK and tried 2 tablespoons of the micro moi on Wenesday night and felt ill with shakes and fever that night. I thought maybe it was the micro so last night I tried 2 tablespoons of instant nene. 3 hours later I have neber been so sick in my life. I had the shakes, terrible fever, so uncomfortable in bed but couldn't get up or walk. When I tried to get up to get a glass of water my heart was pounding and I was so weak I couldn't even walk. It was truly scary. Am I becoming allergic to Kava? I don't have any hives or anything. I cant imagine its a problem with the kava I drank as GHK is reputable. Sucks.

When you say the shakes, were you having a hard time standing up? Drunk feeling?

Are you on any of the medications on this list?
http://kavaforums.com/forum/brdc-do...e-cautious-of-or-avoid-while-drinking-kava.7/

Two tablespoons may simply be too much for your system of these kavas. I'll let other chime in, but it doesn't seem like you're getting allergic. Seems more like an overkrunk of sorts. An acquired allergy to kava usually starts off with a red face and hives.

Edit:
Another thing to take into consideration is dehydration. Be sure your body has adequate hydration.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
Thanks..no I am not on any of those meds. I took one tablespoon in a glass of water and another tablespoon an hour later. I wasn't krunk, just felt a bit relaxed. It wasn't a drunk feeling more like really severe flu like symptoms, fever and weakness. Could it be liver effects? If so that is kinda scary.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Thanks..no I am not on any of those meds. I took one tablespoon in a glass of water and another tablespoon an hour later. I wasn't krunk, just felt a bit relaxed. It wasn't a drunk feeling more like really severe flu like symptoms, fever and weakness. Could it be liver effects? If so that is kinda scary.

It's not liver effects. I think I'd be dead if it were. I've had this happen with a few kavas myself, but it usually ended up because I had consumed too much. Obviously not the case here. It's odd, I'll give you that. I'm more inclined to think it's a form of dehydration brought on by kava.

Weren't doing any sort of marathon exercise routine during this time were you?

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
No definitely no marathon lol. And its happened twice now although last night was the worst. I am racking my brain to figure out what would cause a fever like that. I am afraid to try it again which really sucks because it was helping me to not drink and I liked the effects up until this happened.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
No definitely no marathon lol. And its happened twice now although last night was the worst. I am racking my brain to figure out what would cause a fever like that. I am afraid to try it again which really sucks because it was helping me to not drink and I liked the effects up until this happened.

Did you actually measure your body temperature or are you going just on subjective feelings? Heady kava like Moi, if you take too much too fast, can give an intense headrush: ear ringing, sound distortions, dizziness, much more intense head-buzz as opposed the the heavier effects of heavier kavas. Back when I messed with micro, there were times I had to close one eye even to see my computer and I still ended up typing gibberish.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
I did..this was an actual fever of 102 that lasted about 4 hours with chills shaking, burning up...same way you feel when you have the flu. Also very weak.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Just throwing this out there, could be a serotonin syndrome type effect. Kava does have some MAOI activity and based on your genetics you could be having some type of gene/drug interaction. Check out the symptoms on this link:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin_syndrome
Does that mean Kava cannot be take with 5-htp? I've searched kava forums for 5-htp and never found any comments about it being dangerous.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Hello all,

Have you tried the 11 year again, since having this reaction to the moi/nene?

Does that mean Kava cannot be take with 5-htp? I've searched kava forums for 5-htp and never found any comments about it being dangerous.
Kava seems to have an extremely minor effect on serotonin. I've taken 5-HTP and Tryprophan with kava many times and have had no side effects.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
Interesting. I have taken 5htp in the past but not in a couple of months. Those were the exact symptoms I was having though...
Just throwing this out there, could be a serotonin syndrome type effect. Kava does have some MAOI activity and based on your genetics you could be having some type of gene/drug interaction. Check out the symptoms on this link:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serotonin_syndrome

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
No..I have am afraid to try any kava again.
Have you tried the 11 year again, since having this reaction to the moi/nene?

Kava seems to have an extremely minor effect on serotonin. I've taken 5-HTP and Tryprophan with kava many times and have had no side effects.

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
Back in ye olden days of december 2017, I got some pretty serious acute flu-like symptoms from Kava that sound similar to what you're describing. Details can be found here: http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads...ould-alter-how-you-react-to-kava-folks.13105/
Basically the conclusion we came to there that I present as a possibility here is dehydration.
On a side note, to further comment on my last post in that thread, numerous extra-strenght 8 tablespoon batches were drank after that with sufficient attention paid to hydration and no flu-like symptoms whatsoever. So dehydration looks like the biggest culprit.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Interesting. I have taken 5htp in the past but not in a couple of months. Those were the exact symptoms I was having though...

I've been taking 5-htp (along with some pretty heavy doses of kava) the last few days and haven't had any issues.

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Just to chime in with my recent experience. Since jan ive drunk kava daily. Im a bit of a wuss with taking anything
So iv gone very lightly on dosage. My usual for an evening is two tbsp of medium in an aluball with maybe 3 washes in total.
I then drink this over 3 or more hours. If i drink instant or micro I just change tbsp to tsp.

So saturday i was a little jaded due to going to a real ale festival the night before. I Had about 5 or 6 pints.
I waited untill 6 pm before having any kava, and tried to hydrate. Anyway the boy wanted Dominos as wife was away and she doesnt like it. So i ordered it and then realised i needed to do my kava beforemit came. So I had a tsp of Nene micro before
Aluballing two tbsp of Supreme. I then drank 2 shells of supreme all within half an hour.

When the pizza turned up i had another shell, my figuring being that he pizza will negate any unwanted effects.

I ate the pizza but then started feeling very unpleasnt. It Had been a warm day but i was freezing, shaking and could not get warm, ended up
Putting on thermals and tucking into bed for an hour to warm up. This was about 7 pm. My lad was just in shorts,thats how warm it was. At about 9 i was roasting hot and sweating and ended up back in shorts and tshirt. All very bizarre.

For me i think it was a mixture of dehydration and too much too soon.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Just to chime in with my recent experience. Since jan ive drunk kava daily. Im a bit of a wuss with taking anything
So iv gone very lightly on dosage. My usual for an evening is two tbsp of medium in an aluball with maybe 3 washes in total.
I then drink this over 3 or more hours. If i drink instant or micro I just change tbsp to tsp.

So saturday i was a little jaded due to going to a real ale festival the night before. I Had about 5 or 6 pints.
I waited untill 6 pm before having any kava, and tried to hydrate. Anyway the boy wanted Dominos as wife was away and she doesnt like it. So i ordered it and then realised i needed to do my kava beforemit came. So I had a tsp of Nene micro before
Aluballing two tbsp of Supreme. I then drank 2 shells of supreme all within half an hour.

When the pizza turned up i had another shell, my figuring being that he pizza will negate any unwanted effects.

I ate the pizza but then started feeling very unpleasnt. It Had been a warm day but i was freezing, shaking and could not get warm, ended up
Putting on thermals and tucking into bed for an hour to warm up. This was about 7 pm. My lad was just in shorts,thats how warm it was. At about 9 i was roasting hot and sweating and ended up back in shorts and tshirt. All very bizarre.

That’s how we learn our personal limits. I think most everyone here has had similar experiences as part of the learning curve.

That is, of course, why they always recommend good spacing between shells and always beware the “I don’t feel anything, better chug a bunch more, ooops.” I find some effects of kava kick in immediately, some after 2minutes, some at 5, some at 20, a few more at 30, and in a sesh, some kick in after an hour and then hang on for hours. It’s like time release capsules in effect, but I think different KLs kick in on their own schedule.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
Same here...it was very warm and my daughter had shorts on. I had to put on 2 layers and lay under a thick duvet and was shivering but then burning up with a fever. But I was also very weak and sick. I felt bad because I couldnt even get out of bed to make my daughter something to eat. I didn't even have very much kava (there were other days I had a lot more). I could have been slightly dehydrated but I can't imagine it would cause that.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
Is it possible that some kavas cause worse dehydration than others? Like hawaiian kavas maybe worse? Maybe if you drink a bunch of gatorade or aomething similar it would help? I am just really scared to try it again.

I was just reading that dehydration can cause fever. Hmm.

Funny I have never really felt dehydration symptoms with kava like I have with alcohol. Like alcohol makes you pee like crazy and makes you so thirsty the next day. I have never noticed that with kava.

Status
Not open for further replies.