What's new

Extreme negative reaction with fever

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Same here...it was very warm and my daughter had shorts on. I had to put on 2 layers and lay under a thick duvet and was shivering but then burning up with a fever. But I was also very weak and sick. I felt bad because I couldnt even get out of bed to make my daughter something to eat. I didn't even have very much kava (there were other days I had a lot more). I could have been slightly dehydrated but I can't imagine it would cause that.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Not saying you were dehydrated, but dehydration can do all that and worse. I would not rule it out.

Logically, given your symptoms, and I thoroughly trust the accuracy of your description as the exact same thing has happened to others, the possible causes include:

Tudei- extremely unlikely given the vendors

Stomach bug: possible, although one doesn’t usually recover so quickly

Overdose: possible but not the same usual symptoms, I.e. vertigo, diplopia, disorientation

Allergic reaction: again, possible but not the usual symptoms.

Contaminated kava, e.g. mold or something: again, possible but very remote given the vendors. You could have it tested, I suppose.

Dehydration: maybe not the first thing one thinks of, but it does fit the symptoms and is less unlikely than the other possibilities. I would say stomach bug is equally likely but not if the same response is triggered by repeated iterations of drinking kava. It’s much more likely then that it has something to do with drinking the kava.

Oh, of course, possible interactions with other substances, food, drink, medications. Hard to say. Intrepidus had something similar and the culprit was interaction with another supplement she was taking.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
Thanks. It was definitely kava related because the exact same thing happened a à and very little water that was the problem. I am going to buy a case of coconut water this week at costco and try to drink a bunch this week and then maybe try again next wknd and see if it still happens. Also think I am going to switch to medium grind instead of micro.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
Part of my message got deleted. But yeah I am probably dehydrated at the best of times, I have dry skin without kava and I know I dont drink enough water so that is probably the issue.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
How long did it take the symptoms to resolve and did they all go away together? I would really be more inclined to suspect a contaminate like mold. Do the contents of those bags smell or look off in some way? Were they well sealed when you received them? I've had bags burst open in the mail on a few occasions. I also don't think the shivering effect has ever been associated with an actual fever. I was sick with a fever a few months ago and it is a completely different feeling... It's also very unlikely to be a side effect of tudei. The usual, possible, negative side effects of tudei are stomach irritation/vomiting and sleeping for long periods of time. Dehydration is a possibility but I would think you would need to be very chronically dehydrated for that. The fever is really what makes me suspicious that it was the kava itself.

If you do try again, I would definitely try the bag that you never experienced these problems with. Did you take any kind of supplement or medication at all near the time of the kava?

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Is it possible that some kavas cause worse dehydration than others? Like hawaiian kavas maybe worse? Maybe if you drink a bunch of gatorade or aomething similar it would help? I am just really scared to try it again.

I was just reading that dehydration can cause fever. Hmm.

Funny I have never really felt dehydration symptoms with kava like I have with alcohol. Like alcohol makes you pee like crazy and makes you so thirsty the next day. I have never noticed that with kava.

I definately think some kavas cause worse dehydration than others and some cause worse dermo than others. I don't know, but I feel like headier kavas with lawena (the basal stem part of the root) mixed in give me more dehydration and more dermo. Everything but Fiji wakas have lawena mixed in and Hawaiian kavas tend to be heady. I've experienced a lot of dehydration and dermo from Hawaiian kavas, but also from Fiji blends (of waka and lawena) and from Fiji Lawena. This is just going on impressions, I could be wrong. Hawaiian kavas are unique enough that it is worth it to me; but if I take them for a long time I tend to take more and more until I get all dried out.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
Interesting. So what would you recommend as a less dehydrating kava. I am going to order some medium grind from somewhere else. Was thinking maybe the Nabawan (sp?) from BKH. I want something relatively strong so I don't have to take as much of it.

lonnyzone

Kava Enthusiast
Interesting. So what would you recommend as a less dehydrating kava. I am going to order some medium grind from somewhere else. Was thinking maybe the Nabawan (sp?) from BKH. I want something relatively strong so I don't have to take as much of it.

I don't know if there's a cultivar that's less likely to dehydrate you that I could reccomend. @verticity might know, but I'm not sure. What I'd personally suggest is drinking more water beforehand and afterwards. I usually drink a lot of water around 15-30 minutes beforehand so that most of it has passed through me by the time I'm actually drinking Kava, and then afterwards I make sure to casually drink water.

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Kavagirrl, we are all with you on this. Feel the love.
When you settle down, maybe try the trusted 11 year, just a half dose to start, then if all ok after 2 hours, the other half.
If thats all good. Do your normal dose the next day. At least then you know your fine with that.

Then you can try small amounts of the other new stuff and see if thats an issue? Narrow It down like Sherlock.

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Also, and this is to noone in particular. In th elast few months ive used medium, micro and instant. I find i naturally drink mire water with medium. I have to really work at getting enough water into me when doing micro and instant.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
I have tried a small amount of the BKH, like less than half a tablespoon. I am waiting to order some regular medium grind as I feel the micros I have are way too dehydrating (I have really dry faking skin still, 2 weeks later) which I suspect was the problem. I am going to order 2 types of med grind from BKH and an aluball and see how that goes...

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
Tried the 11 year waka I mean. But it was a tiny amount...seemed to be ok.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
So I have been trying the 11 year waka again in larger quantities (2 tablespoons)...no issues at all. I tried the GHK in tiny amounts, 3 different types and started getting sick again. Almost like the reaction I read you can get from Tudei although I don't see how that is possible. Needless to say I will never be ordering from them again but I am glad I didn't give up on Kava.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
It was def a problem with the GHK...no problems at all with the 11 year waka. Maybe it was mold or something about their Kava that doesn't agree with me. My next order will be from BKH!
How long did it take the symptoms to resolve and did they all go away together? I would really be more inclined to suspect a contaminate like mold. Do the contents of those bags smell or look off in some way? Were they well sealed when you received them? I've had bags burst open in the mail on a few occasions. I also don't think the shivering effect has ever been associated with an actual fever. I was sick with a fever a few months ago and it is a completely different feeling... It's also very unlikely to be a side effect of tudei. The usual, possible, negative side effects of tudei are stomach irritation/vomiting and sleeping for long periods of time. Dehydration is a possibility but I would think you would need to be very chronically dehydrated for that. The fever is really what makes me suspicious that it was the kava itself.

If you do try again, I would definitely try the bag that you never experienced these problems with. Did you take any kind of supplement or medication at all near the time of the kava?

Pauluk

Kava Enthusiast
Glad you are getting it worked out Kava girl. I e only had GHK nene in North micro and medium and had no problems. Could be an unlucky reaction to the strain. Or something else. Main thing is you've isolated it and can move on.

kavagirl37

Kava Curious
Yes and Chris offered to send me a bag of medium grind and test the ones I had the trouble with which I thought was fantastic so hopefully I have better luck with the next batch.

Status
Not open for further replies.