What's new

Finding Right Dosage When Starting

jayskava

Hey guys,

I'm new to Kava and just wanted to get a run down. Yesterday was my first day and I tried the Waka con from Amazon I used 2 TBS per 8 ounces of water. I drank three of these over a 5 hour period. At most I got a mild relaxation effect, which I could see as placebo.

Given my experience yesterday, what would you recommend for my dosage tonight?

I also have some better waka coming from Kava Kalm which is supposedly more potent.

I'm trying kava to improve sleep and mellow out from work.

Thanks in advance for any tips and indo.

Jason

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
That Wakacon stuff is bunk dude. Also, 2 tbs is a little low too, so maybe try 4 tbs next time.

I think all kava venders should put a "only consume on an empty stomach" sticker on their product. You did that, right? And one more thing: You might be going through reverse tolerance.

Much love, liger meat.

moff000

Kava Enthusiast
Hi, I'm pretty much a newbie to Kava also and i've only tried a handful of kava's. Most have been quick/micronized kava's. For me the best result i have got from a kava is BKH 11 year waka as this seriously puts me in the zone after one heaped TABLEspoon mixed in warm water with about 400ml of water. I'm currently using KWK micro Borongoru but as yet have only used around 3 heaped TEAspoons to 300ml of warm water which chilled me out. I intend to use 6 heaped TEAspoons of the KWK tonight to see how that goes!
All these preparations above i have drank as quick as possible which is probably around 3-4 mins as i haven't acquired a taste for it as yet!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hey guys,

I'm new to Kava and just wanted to get a run down. Yesterday was my first day and I tried the Waka con from Amazon I used 2 TBS per 8 ounces of water. I drank three of these over a 5 hour period. At most I got a mild relaxation effect, which I could see as placebo.

Given my experience yesterday, what would you recommend for my dosage tonight?

I also have some better waka coming from Kava Kalm which is supposedly more potent.

I'm trying kava to improve sleep and mellow out from work.

Thanks in advance for any tips and indo.

Jason

Be aware that when you first start kava can actually prevent you from sleeping, especially if you drink too close to bedtime. I found that it took a good few weeks before I started getting aid with sleep even with varieties supposed to knock you out. I can't help with anything you've bought on amazon but in general I know people here have a dim view of it excepting Kalm with kava who I believe sell on amazon. I would say keep going and just try as many kavas as you can afford. It's different for everyone every time and can be hit and miss but once you get going it is well worth it.

jayskava

Thanks guys! Yeah... I assumed the Waka con would essentially be the generic, but I wanted to give it a shot. Looking forward to the Kava Kalm. If I like those, in about a month I want to try some of these specialty grinds I've been reading about.

schatz

itchin for kava
Thanks guys! Yeah... I assumed the Waka con would essentially be the generic, but I wanted to give it a shot. Looking forward to the Kava Kalm. If I like those, in about a month I want to try some of these specialty grinds I've been reading about.

I too started out in January using the old Amazon as my first guide for kava and ordered Wakacon Lawena and Waka strains, and for the price they were very effective. Although I am one of the lucky ones I am guessing because I had almost zero reverse tolerance issues and felt i almost immediately. You really need to be on empty stomach and watch the prep videos and tutorials here. If I take my time and prep dilligently and consume on empty stomach I only use 3 tablesp[oons (heaping) . You may have a reverse tolerance issue going on, just keep at it and youl be amazed, the Wakacon may hit you in a few days.Dont get me wrong though KWK and GHK and the other recommended vendors are better but dont toss the Wakacon, I still am ordering and useing it because it works for me and its cheaper, everybody is different. Good Luck and hang in.

Reactions: EQ

jayskava

That Wakacon stuff is bunk dude. Also, 2 tbs is a little low too, so maybe try 4 tbs next time.

I think all kava venders should put a "only consume on an empty stomach" sticker on their product. You did that, right? And one more thing: You might be going through reverse tolerance.

Much love, liger meat.
Just wanted to mention that I didn't realize that an empty stomach is best. I'm gonna try 3 TBS tonight on empty.

EQ

Atman
Just wanted to mention that I didn't realize that an empty stomach is best. I'm gonna try 3 TBS tonight on empty.
I think a lot of us here have molded our diets around Kava usage. If I'm going to drink Kava I eat a large lunch nothing past 2pm and leave at least 5 hours since last food consumption. I've wasted so much root in hopes I could get an effect after eating dinner at 6pm and drinking Kava at 7pm.

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
And a quick reminder: you don't have to be starving in order to have a good kava experience. As long as you haven't eaten in a few hours, and your stomach doesent still feel "bloated " (even mildly) you'll be fine.

schatz

itchin for kava
And a quick reminder: you don't have to be starving in order to have a good kava experience. As long as you haven't eaten in a few hours, and your stomach doesent still feel "bloated " (even mildly) you'll be fine.
Thanks for the info, as I have been starving myself from 9 am to 5 pm and then drinking and really getting good results from the kava, but am really starving by the time I finally eat around 7 pm. Today Ill try some lunch around 2 pm. and see how that goes, loseing some weight though with kava useage is good too. Thanks again, you guys are really helpfull thank god for this forum.

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
2-3 tbsp is fine. I wouldnt worry to much about dosage at first. Reverse tolerance etc.

jayskava

Just updating. Yesterday was the same, but today I tried 3 TBS on an empty stomach and finally have a light but noticeable chill. Not too bad. Tomorrow the Kava Kalm comes..... I'm looking forward to trying that.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Just updating. Yesterday was the same, but today I tried 3 TBS on an empty stomach and finally have a light but noticeable chill. Not too bad. Tomorrow the Kava Kalm comes..... I'm looking forward to trying that.

Once kava opens up to you, you're gonna love it. It really is one of those things one day you'll drink it and just be like "Ohhhhhh, nowww I get it"

delawson

I am pretty new to kava , I fooled around with some Head shop and G N C type Kava a few years ago with little results.
It was like I knew/felt I was scratching the surface, but I wasn't quite feeling it. I recently went away to rehab for alcohol and pills and now am very involved in A.A. I have very serious Gout and I stopped taking Tramadol, which I was a slave to for the past 6 years. The kava really helps me with both pain and anxiety.
Over the last couple of weeks I purchased Bulan Wacca Kava ground root powder on line. I have been simply taking 4 to 6 tablespoons in my mouth and washing it down with water, then just today I mixed 4 tablespoons in water , heated it for 123 seconds in the microwave, stirring for several minutes. I had 2 of these and feel fine. I'm a big guy 289. Any advice?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
@delawson , not sure what you are asking? If it is helping your pain and anxiety, no need to change anything. Now on the other hand I would advise doing traditional preparation as drinking that much unstrained will probably lead to some gnarly GI issues down the line. If you aren't getting the effect you want, just increase by a tablespoon at a time.