What's new

First impressions - In search of krunk

Just starting my adventures with kava, so far I am still trying to "get there". So many variables but it has been enjoyable. Plenty of experience with psychoactives, though no regular use other than cannabis. I have Lami brown label, supposed to be pretty potent.

Trying to feel what "krunk" is but I haven't gotten the weak legs yet, definitely a pleasant journey so far though! Trying to find the right prep technique for me. So far I have done:

1st time: 33g following the CTAHR technique, shortened blending a bit but I have a blendtec. Minimal effects, had a very poor sleep afterwards.

2nd time: 100g following CTAHR to the letter. Drank it over 2 hours, nice effect but nowhere near any difficulty with movement.

3rd time: 66g CTAHR making 1 liter of grog. By taste the strongest batch i've made. Nice effect again but still far from "krunk".

Initial thoughts, doesn't taste nearly as bad as I was expecting. Nothing compared to the foul taste of K@T. The CTAHR method is a real PIA and takes me nearly thirty minutes with the 3 strainings. I'm trying to maximize my dollar but I will try traditional prep next time and save CTAHR for my frozen MAKAS.

The Vanuatan way of very potent batches drank in a shorter amount of time seems what I need, life is quite busy these days. Getting it down with an empty stomach before dinner while parenting toddlers is not the most relaxing setting! Hopefully I can build up a reverse tolerance in time, though I am skeptical on the a&p of that.

Enjoying the journey, im finding that a bit of cannabis really brings out the effects for myself. I still haven't got any "heady" type effects. Got another 4 kilos to go so im sire I will find them eventually! Bula and thanks for the great forum.

Pzk

Kava Enthusiast
I mean, I understand that being unable to walk might be a goal sometimes... to me kava is like the ladies... if you want it, the focus destroys it :LOL:

If you really want to "know" .... take 70 degrees celsius hot water... --- I know this isn't traditional, I wouldn't recommend in general, but it is much more potent --- (in the end it could be that the first wash has more kavalactones in it, and if you do mix 3 washes together, perhaps hot water doesn't even make sense, but I guess some kavalactones or even other ingredients they dissolve easier, perhaps some stuff still stays in the roots when you think they are done).

Take GABA supplement powder additionally. I don't know anyone else who tried it in combination with kava. So perhaps everybody reacts different...
But this pure GABA powder, which they say it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier, I always recognize an effect.

Take it together with Kava - I did that once, and it knocked me out, I wouldn't do it again.

Since I don't like the GABA powder pure without kava, I don't feel good on this stuff - I don't do it anymore. But for people who have no problem with GABA powder and want a stronger Kava effect, it could be a possibility to boost are little or even a lot.

But in the end... give your body a bit more time and try different kavas. It seems your kava supply is Fiji, try some other as well.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
they say it doesn't cross the blood brain barrier
We forget how many GABA receptors exist outside the blood/brain barrier. The Enteric nervous system uses GABA pretty extensively, and certainly would benefit from supplementation if levels were low. There's also no telling how many psychological issues might at least partly reside in disfunction of the ENS, so while yes GABA doesn't cross the blood brain barrier when taken orally, that most certainly doesn't mean it will have an entire lack of activity :)

Krantis, Anthony. 2000. “GABA in the Mammalian Enteric Nervous System.” News in Physiological Sciences: An International Journal of Physiology Produced Jointly by the International Union of Physiological Sciences and the American Physiological Society 15 (December): 284–90. https://doi.org/10.1152/physiologyonline.2000.15.6.284.

Osadandaula UK

Kava Enthusiast
I hear you with the kids, getting into the kava zone is massively dependent on my kid’s behaviour. If they’re chilled I can usually find my kava groove but if they’re being, how should I put it… “more challenging”, then the kava will only serve to knock the edge off. If they want to be chased around and swung around in the air, I might as well not have bothered.

I will say, if I’m chilled, they’re more likely to be chilled, so it can form a positive feed back loop but not always.

I’ve only struggled for balance once and I’m glad the kids were in bed! It’s certainly not what I aim for.

I sometimes get what I could best describe as a rush of euphoria with kava, it’s a highly desirable feeling and what I’m always hoping for but there is no consistency, it’s like trying to repeat a bedtime ritual in the hope they will sleep through the night again, there's too many variables.

I wouldn’t get too hung up on the method, the results won’t vary that much. I’d try a few different methods, to see what works for you and give it some time.

My family friendly kava routine involves: two wash’s of trad prep while the kids are at school/nursery, in the fridge. Early light lunch 11-12, a few shells between 4 and 5, eat at 530ish but not too much, then down in one what ever is left at 9 when the kids are down. This involves way less food than a normal day so I only do it once a week. If I’m really well planned and stocked I’ll do a heady batch for pre dinner and a heavy one for later.

I think there are at least two different types of krunk, although no expert. One is a deep sense of heavy body relaxation, like you are melting into the couch and the other is the rush of euphoria mentioned above. I've experience both but couldn't recreate either on demand.

Kava is like a riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma. I think a lot of us are looking for something out of it that you have to accept can't always be found. Just enjoy the "ahhhh that's nice", anything else is a bonus.

Artofkava

Jacksonville, FL
Kava Vendor
Hey! it seems like you're really getting into it, that's awesome. What cultivar are you using and do u know the chemotype by any chance? I've seen it happen a LOT where one kava thats supposed to hit hard and recommended by a lot of people, doesnt really do it for another. Once they switch it up with something a bit different, bam, it hits them like a truck. I got a friend onto temotu, which is awewsome, then melomelo. They said it was nice but they didnt get that "krunk" feeling i was talking about. Then he had kelai and the world opened up.

as for the ctahr method, idk, seems like overkill.

On your blendtec, add your kava powder. I do 32g. Add your water, i do 20oz. Select Whole juice. Blend. Do this 4 times. It'll come out between 110 and 120f - ish. Strain very well. chill (or not) and drink all of it.

It's basicaly the same method, but ur condensing it down into 1 movement and not diluting anything.

Thats the recipe i use to test new kava. Makees a strong batch (for me) so it gives every cultivar i get a fair shot.

Also, try temotu lateral root or koro if u get a chance. :)

Bula!

Zac

Reactions: Pzk
Thanks for all the advice, I have certainly enjoyed my times with kava. Just wanting to get the full effect to see what it is all about, not expecting to "snow" myself evernight into a coma!

I was hoping to have kava in place of cannabis as a sleep aid, but so far it has resulted in poor sleeps. From what I gather my kava should be on the heavy side, I certainly get some nice muscle relaxation. I can't say I have noticed any of the heady effects yet.

Looking forward to another weekend of playi g with kava, hoping traditional prep works into my day to day better. The triple wash with the blender is time consuming and a PIA.

Krunked up Tong

Kava Enthusiast
Never heard of the CTAHR method, will have to look into it.

I personally just blend my kava for about 10 minutes in hot water, pour it into a strainer bag, knead for 3 - 5 minutes then chill my grog then drink it. Seems to make a pretty strong brew. And yeah heavy strains are best for sleep, however some people just find that they get poor sleep on kava, some get great sleep. It improves my sleep massively which I love. I'm lucky!

Reactions: Pzk
As a follow up I have done some more trials and decided my preferred method is a simmer following the GHK video on youtube. Thicker texture but the taste is similar and it has the strongest effects.

2nd favourite method is a traditional prep for the 1st wash and then putting the makas through the blender for wash number 2. Pretty strong batches but not as potent as the simmer. Bula!

Kava Mike

Kava Curious
On an empty stomach, use 6 tablespoons of Bula Kava House Nambawan (or three alu balls) which is what I do… after the second wash, eat something with fat, like a bag of chips and I guarantee you won’t be able to see.