What's new

First Kava Bar Experience

Naijomii

Kava Curious
Ok let me start by saying I live in the boonies, like you need to drive to the post office to get your mail and hope you don't get stuck behind the tractors type boonies. It's at least an hour drive in several directions to get to a city with any kind of larger more diverse stores so finding any kind of Kava bar was a pretty awesome surprise. The name of the one I found is Mystic Waters Kava bar in Ithaca NY about an hour or so from my home.

Ithaca Specific Site with photos
https://plus.google.com/117118560133257626227/about?hl=en
Official Site
http://mysticwaterwellnesscenter.com/

I had no idea what to expect but had to make the trip with one of my friends yesterday afternoon. I am still having RT issues though I am finally able to feel something (13 shells in when it only took my friends with me 2-3 shells to feel it and I was only JUST feeling anything yet my one friend at 6 couldn't walk straight). They said they only use noble Kava and that you should never drink non noble kavas. They also said their Kava is a special mix that is made and sold only for them of 9 year and 11 year old plants and yes they told me which ones but curse my aging brain I forgot which ones they said. I do remember I have heard the names here.

I will say it had a nice smooth taste that didn't make me cringe after drinking it like some can. It was a very nice little place and I wish it wasn't so darn far away or so expensive but luckily for us they have a 2 for one happy hour from 4-7 m-f. and an all you can drink from midnight to 4 am on fri and sat nights. (( Too bad I can't stay awake that late anymore haha)) It seems like that have a lot of little events and such there yet I'm glad my first time there was quiet, it allowed us to get to chat with the friendly bartender (sorry if that is the wrong term) and learn about the place. All in all it was a pleasant experience and I hope to get to return again sometime for the atmosphere more then anything.

I hope I put this post in the right place, I was just so excited to learn there was even a Kava bar within driving distance to me so I had to post about it :)

Naijomii

Kava Curious
haha I wish it was under 50 but it was an experiment to see if someone else made it if I would be less of a hard head but seems I just need it by the gallon to calm my craziness down and that was after the 6 shells I had before I even went there :) I will just give my money to the vendors here from now on for their wonderful products, much better investment as was expected.
Actually Since then it seems I don't need as much to feel slightly relaxed for an hour or two so it is slowly getting better and 4 tablespoons of 11 year waka from BKH mixed into a premixed bottle of kalm actually makes me feel relaxed and peaceful for a good 2 hours straight and I actually made it through my shopping trip with a smile for once. (before it took a whole 10 ounce bottle of kalm concentrate and 11 year mixed in up to work) I am keeping my fingers crossed that this is the start of it consistently starting to work for me.
Maybe I just need to move to where the fresh kava is to lower how much I need :LOL:

Bradley666

Kava Enthusiast
Jeez thats alot of kava!
I guess RT will do that to you...well to some people, everyones different...
Iv read post where someone will drink a crazy amount of good kava. Only to feel nothing! Its insane...
I must have been one of the lucky ones that felt it good withen a few days...started with stone'...which is still the strongest kava Iv had so far...got me through RT's fast

Naijomii

Kava Curious
Interestingly Wakaya, which supplies the kava they sell on their site, is supposedly the same company that supplies BKH 11-Year waka.
That explains why it felt almost the same as my 11 year does. The lady there told me theirs is a mix of a 9 and 11 year roots, she did say they only serve noble.
They also only sell that one instant and the same one with ginger added, she says its so you always know what you are getting from them.

Jeez thats alot of kava!
I guess RT will do that to you...well to some people, everyones different...
Iv read post where someone will drink a crazy amount of good kava. Only to feel nothing! Its insane...
I must have been one of the lucky ones that felt it good withen a few days...started with stone'...which is still the strongest kava Iv had so far...got me through RT's fast
I agree its a lot, I basically do 2-4 shells for every one my friends are doing just so I can feel anything at all but it seems to be slowly getting a bit better as at least I'm feeling something now and know I'm not 'immune' just crazy tolerant sadly. I also am learning for me alone the instant or micronized seem the better option as I can just mix it a lot stronger for myself. I will still always do the traditional prep for my friends as they really like it and I like making it for them to enjoy with me :)

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I am about to take a friend from China for his first shell. Today, they have a "strain" called TOK. It still scares me that I was never able to find out any actually information about it. All I know is that if my friend breaks RT on the first shell, I am going to slap the bastard.

(By the way, they have "grog" today. To them, that means kava mixed with coconut milk and charging a dollar more. They aren't always able to tell you what strain it is.