What's new

First kava bar

birdman

Kava Curious
Im gonna be going on a cruise. So im in hollywood florida this weekend. I found a kava bar called mystic water there. Im excited to try a kava bar for the first time.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Let me know how that is! I have a mystic water kava bar an hour and a half away and never really feel like taking the trip to possibly get tuedi or some expensive shit haha

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
We have a Mystic Water Kava Bar in San Diego. I gotta say, I'm not impressed. Good ambience, nice people, but they don't know anything about Kava. They sell this stuff called "Wakaya" and it is $36 for a bowl that serves about eight shells.

Funny story: I walked in with a couple friends for the first time and ordered the big bowl. When they served us, they tried to teach us the whole ritual. I followed along and then tried the Kava. I looked at the lady who served us and said "let me guess, this is an instant Kava from Fiji?"

Yep.

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
We have a Mystic Water Kava Bar in San Diego. I gotta say, I'm not impressed. Good ambience, nice people, but they don't know anything about Kava. They sell this stuff called "Wakaya" and it is $36 for a bowl that serves about eight shells.

Funny story: I walked in with a couple friends for the first time and ordered the big bowl. When they served us, they tried to teach us the whole ritual. I followed along and then tried the Kava. I looked at the lady who served us and said "let me guess, this is an instant Kava from Fiji?"

Yep.
Wakaya is the name of the island/company that sells the famous (?) 11/12 year waka. So it's not really "instant", but micronised (with all the coarse fibres, etc).

Kojo Douglas

The Kavasseur
Yeah, that's the stuff. A micronized flavor tastes different than a traditional prep or bucket pounded flavor. Three shells of the stuff gave me a very moderate head effect. I suppose if I drank three large shells I might have been a bit more impressed. Of course, I don't know what ratio they used.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I'm yet to hear much good about kava bars. In your head it always seems like a great business to run, how about on the beach in Spain or somewhere, could be fun. But think about it, it hasn't got the same profit potential as a regular bar. Give a bloke a beer and he'll usually keep coming back for more until he can't stand up, particularly if he's on holiday. Give a bloke a large shell of kava and he'll probably just fall asleep on your couch.

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
David Gilmour is the founder of Fiji Water. He sold it a while ago, and his Wakaya Perfection brand is just the latest in a very long line of entrepreneurial ventures.
He's 83 now (started Wakaya Perfection when he was 80) so it's really quite inspirational.