What's new

First Time Kava User

Kava Mang

Kava Curious
Hello All,

I stumbled upon Kava after reading the article for ESPN. Since then i have been dedicating most of my time to studying all i can about Kava. I have watched way too many of Kavasseur's reviews, browsed many vendor websites and perused this forum.

I placed an order with KWK for the sample pack on their website that should be here on Friday, it will be a surprise which strains i end up receiving. I also had an Amazon gift card to use up so i ordered a 1/2 LB of the Borugu from KWK as well.

I will be trying traditional prep. The proper proportions seem to be the toughest thing to figure out about Kava. I think maybe 3 Tablespoons of root to 12oz of water, which should get me three 4 oz servings would be a good baseline to start with. Any suggestions on the ratio would be appreciated from more experienced drinkers, is this too much/not enough for the first time? Is there a suggested strain from KWK that would be best to start with? (granted i don't know exactly which ones i will be receiving in the sample)

I am a former alcoholic (sober for 1 1/2 years) that struggles with anxiety and stress, I've been on and off benzo's for quite some time. I seem to have fallen in love with Kava before even having tried it yet, like it is the missing piece of the puzzle or a long lost friend finally coming home.

I am excited to get this adventure under way and hope to become a permanent fixture within the kava community!

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hello All,

I stumbled upon Kava after reading the article for ESPN. Since then i have been dedicating most of my time to studying all i can about Kava. I have watched way too many of Kavasseur's reviews, browsed many vendor websites and perused this forum.

I placed an order with KWK for the sample pack on their website that should be here on Friday, it will be a surprise which strains i end up receiving. I also had an Amazon gift card to use up so i ordered a 1/2 LB of the Borugu from KWK as well.

I will be trying traditional prep. The proper proportions seem to be the toughest thing to figure out about Kava. I think maybe 3 Tablespoons of root to 12oz of water, which should get me three 4 oz servings would be a good baseline to start with. Any suggestions on the ratio would be appreciated from more experienced drinkers, is this too much/not enough for the first time? Is there a suggested strain from KWK that would be best to start with? (granted i don't know exactly which ones i will be receiving in the sample)

I am a former alcoholic (sober for 1 1/2 years) that struggles with anxiety and stress, I've been on and off benzo's for quite some time. I seem to have fallen in love with Kava before even having tried it yet, like it is the missing piece of the puzzle or a long lost friend finally coming home.

I am excited to get this adventure under way and hope to become a permanent fixture within the kava community!
Welcome! Glad to have you with us. The best way to keep things consistent is by using a scale and measuring cup. I measure my kava in ratios and by the gram/ml, personally (and I don't recommend this strength to start) I use a 10:1 ratio (ten being water). 400ml water w/ 40 grams of kava. but this is stupid strength. It's my one shot kava immobilizer that I use before bed. You could start with a lesser ratio. Maybe a 20:1 or 30:1 ratio would be better starting out. You may always adjust up if you feel the need.

Traditional prep all the way. I find it's the most cost effective method of drinking kava.

KWK is good kava. Currently drinking the borongoru, and love it.

Kava Mang

Kava Curious
Thanks for the advice. I really hope that I am lucky and will be able to feel it right away and i don't have do deal with any reverse tolerance issues.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hello All,

Looks to me like you've done excellent research and have a really good handle on things for starting out. That ratio, 8 TBS of water per 1 TBS grind is a a very good one to start with and one I often use. Depending on the grind it might be a little weak, but it is unlikely to be too strong, and for many it's just right, so it is a great place to start, IMO. If you need you can ratchet down from 8:1 water/grind to 6:1 or even, for getting krunk, 4:1, or ratchet up to 10:1 and still really get good enjoyment.

One tip: Borogu is a fine kava but if you find the taste is too strong, you can mix it with a lighter kava to make a blend that is easier to drink. I love Borogu but I do that blending trick often. Also, it's a mostly heavy kava with little headiness so if I want I will blend in a lighter and headier kava in there to even it out. If you get Vula in your sampler, that would work for blending. So would Borongoru.

Kava Mang

Kava Curious
Looks to me like you've done excellent research and have a really good handle on things for starting out. That ratio, 8 TBS of water per 1 TBS grind is a a very good one to start with and one I often use. Depending on the grind it might be a little weak, but it is unlikely to be too strong, and for many it's just right, so it is a great place to start, IMO. If you need you can ratchet down from 8:1 water/grind to 6:1 or even, for getting krunk, 4:1, or ratchet up to 10:1 and still really get good enjoyment.

One tip: Borogu is a fine kava but if you find the taste is too strong, you can mix it with a lighter kava to make a blend that is easier to drink. I love Borogu but I do that blending trick often. Also, it's a mostly heavy kava with little headiness so if I want I will blend in a lighter and headier kava in there to even it out. If you get Vula in your sampler, that would work for blending. So would Borongoru.
Thanks Krunkie,

I will definitely take you up on your advice if that is included in the sampler. I will be sure to post my results/experiences after my first weekend of kava drinking, stay tuned!

Kava Mang

Kava Curious
Upon arriving home from work last night i was pleasantly surprised to find my order came a day earlier than expected. I had to go run some errands with the wife and kids so there was not enough time for a traditional prep. I decided to bring along the KWK concentrate airplane size bottle that i received in the sample. I poured it in a bottle of water and drank it on the 20 min ride to the shopping center. My anxiety was a little heightened with not knowing what to expect, or if anything would even happen if i was going to experience any reverse tolerance.

Once we were in the store i started noticing that everything kind of looked "cool" and i was focusing on things I wouldn't normally focus on, soon a warm feeling started to wash over me. I enjoyed a good 20 minutes of supreme euphoria and enjoyment while exploring the toy aisle with the kids. Amazing! The euphoria eventually wore off into a nice mellow relaxing feeling that lasted the rest of the time out and about. I normally do not like shopping, it is usually stressful and increases my anxiety. The KWK concentrate turned it into a fun and relaxing experience!

When we got home i decided to knead up a bowl of KWK Borogu. It was around 8 PM so i decided to not include any Boronguru as Krunkie suggested, i wanted to make sure things didn't get too heady before bedtime. I put 3 tablespoons of root into 2 cups of water and started to squeeze for about 10 minutes. I was a little worried about the taste because everyone seems to say the Vanuatu strains are the worst tasting of the bunch. I actually enjoyed the taste, not bad at all (kind of like chewing on a pine cone or some bark or something). My mouth immediately went numb and slowly i started to feel more and more relaxed and a little "marshmallowy". After a few shells i was extremely relaxed and went off to bed. Slept like a log and still feel great today.

My first night of kava was amazing! I am most excited to learn that i do not have much in the form of Reverse Tolerance.

Tonight we are off to bring the kids to see Santa and i will be sure to have a belly full of Borugu in me.
My second batch of the night will probably be a mixture of Borugu and Borunguru as Krunkie suggested.

Bula!

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Upon arriving home from work last night i was pleasantly surprised to find my order came a day earlier than expected. I had to go run some errands with the wife and kids so there was not enough time for a traditional prep. I decided to bring along the KWK concentrate airplane size bottle that i received in the sample. I poured it in a bottle of water and drank it on the 20 min ride to the shopping center. My anxiety was a little heightened with not knowing what to expect, or if anything would even happen if i was going to experience any reverse tolerance.

Once we were in the store i started noticing that everything kind of looked "cool" and i was focusing on things I wouldn't normally focus on, soon a warm feeling started to wash over me. I enjoyed a good 20 minutes of supreme euphoria and enjoyment while exploring the toy aisle with the kids. Amazing! The euphoria eventually wore off into a nice mellow relaxing feeling that lasted the rest of the time out and about. I normally do not like shopping, it is usually stressful and increases my anxiety. The KWK concentrate turned it into a fun and relaxing experience!

When we got home i decided to knead up a bowl of KWK Borogu. It was around 8 PM so i decided to not include any Boronguru as Krunkie suggested, i wanted to make sure things didn't get too heady before bedtime. I put 3 tablespoons of root into 2 cups of water and started to squeeze for about 10 minutes. I was a little worried about the taste because everyone seems to say the Vanuatu strains are the worst tasting of the bunch. I actually enjoyed the taste, not bad at all (kind of like chewing on a pine cone or some bark or something). My mouth immediately went numb and slowly i started to feel more and more relaxed and a little "marshmallowy". After a few shells i was extremely relaxed and went off to bed. Slept like a log and still feel great today.

My first night of kava was amazing! I am most excited to learn that i do not have much in the form of Reverse Tolerance.

Tonight we are off to bring the kids to see Santa and i will be sure to have a belly full of Borugu in me.
My second batch of the night will probably be a mixture of Borugu and Borunguru as Krunkie suggested.

Bula!
Another one down, another one down, another drinks the root! Glad to have you aboard the kava train - and great job doing your research before jumping in. This forum is a great place with a wealth of information and great people to help you out. Enjoy!