What's new

First time with Kava

Rosie

Hello Everyone. I owe it to Kalm with Kava a great big thanks for being true to your name! And I feel it may help those new to kava to share my first experience. Yesterday I recieved my sample pack from Kala with Kava and am amazed. I'm not experienced much with social media and I'm sure it may take some time with learning and feeling my way around this forum. My expectations were not high as my first purchase was with Kava.com but I'm glad I didn't give up there. Long story shortened I decided yesterday to first try Borongoru and thought if this was really good then taking the maximum dose would be a good idea. Not so!! I should have taken the minimum dose (2 tablespoons)
But now I know! It took about 40 minutes for the intense feeling to leave from taking such a big dose for someone not yet experienced with Kava. But after a while those feelings left and I felt at peace. I'm excited to try the other strains out ... gradually of course. I hope those who are wanting to give Kava a go see this and may help. Thanks for all the info here. I'm not sure if creating a new thread here was best but if not I'll learn in time

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Hi again @Rosie. You're getting the hang of it, and this is the perfect place for your post :)

Kava takes a little time to adjust your dose and strain to get something you find works best for you. If you work at it, kava will open up to you like it has for us. Glad to have you with us!

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Also, if it hit you harder than you like for just 40 minutes then tapered off (into something you did like), that might indicate that your rate of ingestion may have been more or equally the issue rather than the amount you chose (not saying you shouldn't reduce your dose, though; that's up to you). The "intense" feeling MAY have been kavain, which is (subjectively and anecdotally) shorter acting than some of the other kavalactones. For this reason, most people choose to take their dose of kava in increments spaced out. This lets the kavain to rise and start to fall between shells and not become excessively intense, but allow for just enough intensity to keep the experience interesting; but I don't say this as any kind of expert. (It also let you not be surprised by some of the slower acting kavalactones)

Rosie

Hi again @Rosie. You're getting the hang of it, and this is the perfect place for your post :)

Kava takes a little time to adjust your dose and strain to get something you find works best for you. If you work at it, kava will open up to you like it has for us. Glad to have you with us!
Ahh so good to have found this forum and all the info. Thanks!!

Rosie

Also, if it hit you harder than you like for just 40 minutes then tapered off (into something you did like), that might indicate that your rate of ingestion may have been more or equally the issue rather than the amount you chose (not saying you shouldn't reduce your dose, though; that's up to you). The "intense" feeling MAY have been kavain, which is (subjectively and anecdotally) shorter acting than some of the other kavalactones. For this reason, most people choose to take their dose of kava in increments spaced out. This lets the kavain to rise and start to fall between shells and not become excessively intense, but allow for just enough intensity to keep the experience interesting; but I don't say this as any kind of expert. (It also let you not be surprised by some of the slower acting kavalactones)
Thanks for your input!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Hello Everyone. I owe it to Kalm with Kava a great big thanks for being true to your name! And I feel it may help those new to kava to share my first experience. Yesterday I recieved my sample pack from Kala with Kava and am amazed. I'm not experienced much with social media and I'm sure it may take some time with learning and feeling my way around this forum. My expectations were not high as my first purchase was with Kava.com but I'm glad I didn't give up there. Long story shortened I decided yesterday to first try Borongoru and thought if this was really good then taking the maximum dose would be a good idea. Not so!! I should have taken the minimum dose (2 tablespoons)
But now I know! It took about 40 minutes for the intense feeling to leave from taking such a big dose for someone not yet experienced with Kava. But after a while those feelings left and I felt at peace. I'm excited to try the other strains out ... gradually of course. I hope those who are wanting to give Kava a go see this and may help. Thanks for all the info here. I'm not sure if creating a new thread here was best but if not I'll learn in time
If there's one universal rule I've found useful it is this: ignore every single instructions for use you ever see on any package of kava, no matter how good the kava is or how great the guy who runs the company is. Simply ignore all package instructions. Talk to people, instead.