What's new

FKB

Palmetto

Thank God!
While flavokavains are one of the least desirable compounds found in noble kavas (as well as tudeis) they are also possibly the most anticancer compounds in kava.

mlenny

Kava Curious
While flavokavains are one of the least desirable compounds found in noble kavas (as well as tudeis) they are also possibly the most anticancer compounds in kava.
Yeah, I've seen some stuff about that. But, unfortunately, there's at least currently a certain inseparability between "antineoplastic" and "toxic". The difference lies within the dose.

"The dose makes the poison."
-- Paracelsus

Last edited:

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Unfortunately, there's a certain inseparability between "antineoplastic" and "toxic". The difference lies within the dose.

"The dose makes the poison."
-- Paracelsus
No doubt, and if I had to ask anyone about that specifically, I'd be asking Palmetto. He's quite informed in the world of oncogenesis.

mlenny

Kava Curious
No doubt, and if I had to ask anyone about that specifically, I'd be asking Palmetto. He's quite informed in the world of oncogenesis.
A paper I saw about osteosarcoma (yikes) said FKB was less harmful to tested healthy cells than doxorubicin and I've seen some stuff about preventing lung cancer in smokers. But natural products are difficult to profit from, so I sadly doubt the pharmaceutical industry will be too interested unless they can alter it somehow, which kinda sucks. All about the money...

Matthew

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
A paper I saw about osteosarcoma (yikes) said FKB was less harmful to tested healthy cells than doxorubicin and I've seen some stuff about preventing lung cancer in smokers. But natural products are difficult to profit from, so I sadly doubt the pharmaceutical industry will be too interested unless they can alter it somehow, which kinda sucks. All about the money...

Matthew
We sorta get tied up about FKB, but it's not really even all that toxic. FKA even less so. I suspect FKB was more a culprit in these idiosyncratic cases back in the late 90s to early 2000s due to overconcentration from using non-noble cultivars, but that's a thing of the past these days.

They're really looking closely at flavokavains for chemical structure, and have even synthed some fks with different properties in cancer research. So it's moving, but you're right. It's expensive, and kava is a multicomponent plant which makes the whole deal even more complex.

Palmetto

Thank God!
Many sarcomas can be tough to treat, other than cutting them out. I had a sick relative that I encouraged to drink tudei and Isa for a couple years as a Hail Mary addition to the chemo. It may have helped, but in the end, it wasn't enough. That is a single anecdote, so definitely not conclusive. Flavokavains seem good at reducing the advance of mutagenesis, but are not a magic bullet once the cancer is advanced. I haven't been keeping up on the kava / cancer literature much since my relative passed away, but I still work in a cancer clinic.

mlenny

Kava Curious
Many sarcomas can be tough to treat, other than cutting them out. I had a sick relative that I encouraged to drink tudei and Isa for a couple years as a Hail Mary addition to the chemo. It may have helped, but in the end, it wasn't enough. That is a single anecdote, so definitely not conclusive. Flavokavains seem good at reducing the advance of mutagenesis, but are not a magic bullet once the cancer is advanced. I haven't been keeping up on the kava / cancer literature much since my relative passed away, but I still work in a cancer clinic.
I find the chemoprotective effect against lung cancer in smokers quite interesting. As I'm sure you know, lung cancer is the most common and one of the deadliest cancers, so it would be great if we could make some advances there.

Yours,
Matthew