What's new

Flights suspended from Vanuatu

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Damn that sucks, runway seemed fine to me, but I don't know about any of that. If it prompts them to invest in their airport, maybe it will turn out to be a good thing. I noticed Fiji Nadi airport was in the process of a pretty big update.
I didn't see Fiji Airways listed as one of the airlines that suspended flights...and Air Vanuatu will still run. If that's the case, we can still get there from here. Also, I wonder if this has any impact on flights that land on Santo.

::tanoa::

Kalm with Kava

Kava Vendor
Interesting, Fiji Air removed Vila as an option over the weekend. It looks like they reconsidered seeing the opportunity there.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

verticity

I'm interested in things
This little bit at the end adds insult to injury:
The elections come as Vanuatu loses its voting rights at the UN because it is in arrears paying its annual contribution to the UN regular budget.
What the?? It's a poor country for fucksake. Meanwhile, as of 2014:
The [UN] funding gap is just over $950m including about $800m owed by the US, $77m by Brazil and $28m by Venezuela.
I can't find any more recent source saying whether we are all paid up now, but why pick on poor Vanuatu?

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Fiji Airways still flies to Vanuatu. They haven't suspended flights because unlike Qantas and Air New Zealand, they don't fly jets to that destination.
The ATR-72 that Fiji Airways flies to Port Vila is a turboprop, and they aren't as susceptible to damage from runway debris as jet aircraft are.