What's new

For those of you who flavor your kava, can you share how you do it ?

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Well that's a pretty self-explanatory title.
If you're one of those people who just can't seem to tolerate the taste of pure kava, can you share
how you flavor it ?
What do you add, and how much ?

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
When I first started with kava I tried flavoring it. No I just make sure it's icy cold, chug and chase.
Same here. I hate the taste but with medium grind, it's not worth the effort. Just chug and chase and move on.

I like to sweeten micro and instant with fruit juice but I rarely buy those anymore due to price.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
I used to add a splash of almond or coconut milk after kneading. Kneading kava with milk already in it can sort of gum up your strainer.

For people who don't like the taste, I recommend chugging plain kava ice cold, followed by a bite of fruit for wasemaot.

Plantacious

Kava Enthusiast
Regarding chugging with kava.
Doesn't that seems like a dangerous practice.
When you consider the delayed effect kava can have, and drinking too fast and/or too much can result in nausea, it seems like playing with fire
by chugging it, because it seems as though you're not allowing your body to respond, to see how it responds before you move on to more kava.
You all must have a really good feel for how your body reacts to kava, and it must be consistent.

kastom_lif

Kava Lover
Right. Only chug what you are sure you can handle. That's why kava is traditionally served in coconut shells. A single "high tide" shell is rarely more than 400 mL or so.

I never chug a whole bucket of kava in one go. The most I'll drink at once is maybe two shells worth, and even then only at the beginning of a session to get things kicked off.

One of the reasons I like heavy kava is that, if nausea does happen to come, I'm already fuldrong and can just lie down in the dark and relax meditatively. With heady kava, it's better to have small shells spaced out, 'cause nausea does not play as well with a buzzy kavain rush.