What's new

Former stoner getting shelled!

umaumaawa

Hey there kava buds. I've lurked here off and on for several years. In my 30s, I discovered kava as a nice weeknight substitute for alcohol, thanks to this forum.

I used to be a huge stoner. I smoked regularly and heavily for nearly 20 years. When I moved to PA a few years ago, I was able to get a medical card pretty easily due to my anxiety disorder. That plus the 2020 pandemic destroying the world (and my business) lead me to using so much weed, I nearly threw up daily. The bright side to this story was that things got so bad, I quit weed and blew up my life in a good way by moving to the Big Island of Hawaii to be closer to my family, who have lived here since I was in my early 20s (I'm 41 now). Though weed is super prevalent here, I've managed to stay away from it due to my job, which conducts regular drug tests. Honestly, that's been one of the better things for me, as it keeps me away from the THC. It helps that I love my job, too.

The only thing that sucks is that now that I don't have weed, I've found myself drinking more alcohol than I would like to. Luckily, awa has come back like an old friend, and now I have the added privilege of living where awa has been traditionally grown and used for centuries. I'm hoping I can even learn how to grow some myself.

Though some of the fresh mo'i I've had here is about as palatable as awa gets...that's still not saying much for the dirt sludge we all know and love. Does anyone have any favorite capsules they like other than Root of Happiness? I've tried those, and while they're not bad, I'm wary of the isa stuff.

Here are some products I've found that I enjoy:

Pa'auilo Kava Chocolate is pretty damned good and unexpectedly strong. I see it in stores here on BI a lot. The same shop also sells root grown here--anyone tried it?

I've tried a few kava products from Goldbee. The micronized powder capsules were a much better experience for me than the liquid capsules. I almost couldn't feel the liquid caps at all, even on an empty stomach, while 3-4 of the powdered ones were pretty good. But neither of them compare to a full shell of fresh dirt water!

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I second trying some Nene medium grind, or maybe some kava Vinaka lawena. Start with nene and if that is acceptable, you can do lawena too I figure. The taste of nene is incredibly mild and doesn’t even make me grimace from a thick shell. If you want to add lime + honey and/or pineapple juice, that works well to cover what little taste you will get from the nene. If you like ginger I recommend getting packets of instant ginger tea (it’s dissolvable ginger juice powder, sometimes with sugar.) this will help any stomach effects you might experience and it is spicy enough to cover the taste completely. If you can’t do tea or ginger then obviously that’s not for you. Pineapple juice or lime and honey should be more than enough to cover the flavor of nene or a good lawena.

Elmanaro

Port Vila, Vanuatu
Kava Vendor
Hey there kava buds. I've lurked here off and on for several years. In my 30s, I discovered kava as a nice weeknight substitute for alcohol, thanks to this forum.

I used to be a huge stoner. I smoked regularly and heavily for nearly 20 years. When I moved to PA a few years ago, I was able to get a medical card pretty easily due to my anxiety disorder. That plus the 2020 pandemic destroying the world (and my business) lead me to using so much weed, I nearly threw up daily. The bright side to this story was that things got so bad, I quit weed and blew up my life in a good way by moving to the Big Island of Hawaii to be closer to my family, who have lived here since I was in my early 20s (I'm 41 now). Though weed is super prevalent here, I've managed to stay away from it due to my job, which conducts regular drug tests. Honestly, that's been one of the better things for me, as it keeps me away from the THC. It helps that I love my job, too.

The only thing that sucks is that now that I don't have weed, I've found myself drinking more alcohol than I would like to. Luckily, awa has come back like an old friend, and now I have the added privilege of living where awa has been traditionally grown and used for centuries. I'm hoping I can even learn how to grow some myself.

Though some of the fresh mo'i I've had here is about as palatable as awa gets...that's still not saying much for the dirt sludge we all know and love. Does anyone have any favorite capsules they like other than Root of Happiness? I've tried those, and while they're not bad, I'm wary of the isa stuff.

Here are some products I've found that I enjoy:

Pa'auilo Kava Chocolate is pretty damned good and unexpectedly strong. I see it in stores here on BI a lot. The same shop also sells root grown here--anyone tried it?

I've tried a few kava products from Goldbee. The micronized powder capsules were a much better experience for me than the liquid capsules. I almost couldn't feel the liquid caps at all, even on an empty stomach, while 3-4 of the powdered ones were pretty good. But neither of them compare to a full shell of fresh dirt water!
Try some Vanuatu strains, we got the good stuff. No hangover or dry skin too!