What's new

Frenchy noobie

blissy

Kava Curious
Hi all! :)
I've been reading the forum for a few weeks now, so I thought I might introduce myself.

I'm a kava newbie from France. I've been searching for natural alternatives for anxiety reduction. That's how I stumbled on kava.
I ordered an extract bottle from Amazon, and soon after, 500 gr of Malekula Magic from GKE (good customer service btw). I received the two around the same time.

Made my first batch a few days ago. After drinking my very first bowl, I felt the buzz you're all talking about. I thought wow ! so quick with no RT to go through. This feeling lasted a few minutes only ^^ Not strong enough, I thought.
The next day I added some coconut milk in the mix. I drank it with difficulty although the taste was a bit more bearable. After a few shells, still not feeling much so I took a small amount of the Amazon extract. Then Banq! Completely dizzy, not able to walk straight and soon I was throwing up :oops:
The remaining kava tea of that night, the next day became a weird fermenting liquid that ended up in the sink :confused:
I made another stronger batch (half a cup for 2 cups of water) with no milky liquid. Just warm water and let it cool in the refrigerator. That one was easier to swallow.
But until now, all I could feel after drinking kava is very tired, no energy and heavy eyelids that beg for sleep. I sleep well though and am in a pretty good mood overall.
I have an order from Paradise Kava on the way. Went for Hawaiian and Isa strains and some extract. I wonder how these will differ from the Malekula.
I think I'm looking for some more kavainy types of strains.

Thank you all for this wonderful forum. I think I've read every bit of it — though not understanding everything — but it's been a huge help and you guys (and gurls - one more amongst you, I am :p ) are so chilled out. .
See ya around ;)
Bula!

Bert07

Me like da kava
Glad to have another lady friend aboard. Welcome, and you'll enjoy the kava eventually. You just need to break through reverse tolerance from what it seems. I'd be careful with certain extracts, some are alcohol based and even though they are strong they aren't too good for you along with not too pleasurable of effects. I'd recommend sticking with the vendors here on the site.

blissy

Kava Curious
Thank you Bert and everyone :) I must say it's the extract that helped with the first buzz, but I know it's bad. It says grain alcohol 60%. My 120ml bottle is still almost full but I guess I'll let the sink drink it. My sink loves kava :rolleyes:

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the forum blissy. I use coconut water (not milk) and a little soy lecithin for the fat content. I also bottle it and put it in the fridge. Then when I drink it, I say to myself, "Hmmm, a nice cold Pina Colada" and it goes down easy. By the way, there are people who have made Kava like a Pina Colada. And one more thing, there are a lot of Kavas that taste better than others. Just ask and we will be more than happy to tell ya what we know.

KavaGurl

The Original Kava Forum Mama
Welcome to kavaland blissy!! :D Always glad to have another Gurl around! ;) And yeah these guys rock too:p

violet

Do all things with love
Welcome, blissy! I've been at this about a month, I have found it gets better and easier pretty quickly. I've never experienced anything as effective for my anxiety as what kava does for me. I have found that adding some heavy cream or full fat milk to well chilled kava makes it go down quite easily.

D

Deleted User01

"A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down, the medicine go down, the medicine go down". Oops, sorry, wrong thread. I should be posting to Kava Sound Tracks.

blissy

Kava Curious
Welcome to kavaland blissy!! :D Always glad to have another Gurl around! ;) And yeah these guys rock too:p
Thank you dear Forum mama :D;)

@Deleted User01
After reading somewhere that you put it in the fridge, I did too and it was a much better tasting tea. I'm pretty sure I will eventually like the taste, when I have the full effects of it. For now like I said, I only feel sleepy and tired, with a very slight body buzz still.
"Hmmm, a nice cold Pina Colada"
I'll try to suggest that to myself! Do you have a link where they explain how to make that Pina Kavada ?
As for the lecithin, I was about to buy some the other day. Then I remembered some of you find it not that useful for getting kavalactones out.
How I prepare my kava : let it soak a few minutes, knead for 10-15 minutes in warm/hot water. Then another kneading in a little cold water. Mix the two and let it sit in the fridge. Maybe I'm missing something?

@violet
Nice to hear it took you only a month to be effective on your anxiety :) Fingers crossed for me.
So do you add the milk or cream AFTER you made the kava and AFTER you let it chill ? Because my second kava tea was a catastrophy. And since I didn't keep it in the fridge, it looked like that (hold your breath)

Not yummy for sure :oops:

Thank you all for the welcome and help, much appreciated. I have a few more questions if I may.

Are there any smooth tasting heady kavas? One that will keep me alert during musical activities for instance, for a few hours and not let me feeling miserable after the effects fade out.
I hear Melo Melo, Nambawan, Solomon and Tongan/Fu'u could fit that category, do you agree ?

Plus, most of you shop @Bula Kava House, do they indeed ship to Europe? (Judd ya hear me? lol)

Last but not least :D Has anyone lately tried VKS/GKE/&co kava strains? I see so few reviews of their products. If so, are some of their products the daytime type of kava? I'm not that fan of Malekula actually, though this could be because of the reverse tolerance still not kicking in.
Thanks again!

My next challenge : writing shorter posts :rolleyes:

D

Deleted User01

I remember reading about Kava Coladas at the "Medicinehunter.com". He evidently had a friend who made them and they enjoyed a mellow time outside sipping them and perhaps watching the ocean waves washing away their worries. I would go to medicinehunter.com for that and to learn all about the other botanicals that cure a plethora of various conditions. This is a must see site for anyone on this forum. I haven't found the recipe yet but I'm going to search this forum. I think someone did it on the old forum.

blissy

Kava Curious
Ok thanks Deleted User01, I'll do a research myself as well. I'm taking note of Medicinehunter.com. I've also read a lot about plants and have actually purchased various capsule bottles such as Griffonia, Schisandra and Gomphrena. It was around the time when I discovered about kava. So I let down the capules a bit as I don't like taking pills on a regular basis.

blissy

Kava Curious
"A spoon full of sugar helps the medicine go down, the medicine go down, the medicine go down". Oops, sorry, wrong thread. I should be posting to Kava Sound Tracks.
Haha I didn't see you posting that! Don't know this track, will have a look :)
But that reminded me… I added some honey in my milky grog. Maybe the combination of the two was what made it so heavy on the stomach.

D

Deleted User01

Blissy, the whole Kava thing started like that for me. I was looking up a Botanical called Ghat which they chew in Pakistan. I got the idea from an audio book where the CIA agents were joking, "Don't chew the Ghat". Medicine Hunter (PHD at some university) was were high on Kava (no pun intended). So he started me on my journey to Kava. So the search for botanicals landed me here at the Kava Forum. Kava is one of most potent botanicals for "calming the nerves". Now you know the rest of my story. Nuff said.

violet

Do all things with love
Nice to hear it took you only a month to be effective on your anxiety :) Fingers crossed for me.
So do you add the milk or cream AFTER you made the kava and AFTER you let it chill ?
For my anxiety, the kava was pretty effective from the beginning, but it is far more effective now than when I first started.

When I make kava, I do so with hot water and I add the cream at the very beginning so I am kneading it all together. Kava lactones aren't water soluble, and I've read anecdotally that others get a stronger brew making with milk, so I figure it can't hurt. Then I pop my bowl in the freezer with a couple of ice cubes, stirring every so often so it doesn't freeze. If I can't wait for it to get cold, I chill it à la James Bond before dumping it into a glass and drinking.

D

Deleted User01

Haha I didn't see you posting that! Don't know this track, will have a look :)
But that reminded me… I added some honey in my milky grog. Maybe the combination of the two was what made it so heavy on the stomach.
I'm quite a bit older than you but I'll give you a hint. Mary Poppins. You can sing that when you are throwing down your shells. It's a happy song for people soon to be happy. I must adieu now. Time to make the beer for Christmas. A lovely but strong Belgian Tripel if you must know.

blissy

Kava Curious
When I make kava, I do so with hot water and I add the cream at the very beginning so I am kneading it all together. Kava lactones aren't water soluble, and I've read anecdotally that others get a stronger brew making with milk, so I figure it can't hurt
Yep that's also how I proceeded with coconut milk — minus the hot water — and added some honey after I finished kneading. I don't know if I'll ever try milky liquids again actually, too bad an experience with it :confused:. But soy lecithin for kavalactones or coconut water for the taste, why not!
Great freezer tip Violet, I'll try that next time, it's quicker to chill ;)

I'm quite a bit older than you but I'll give you a hint. Mary Poppins. You can sing that when you are throwing down your shells. It's a happy song for people soon to be happy. I must adieu now. Time to make the beer for Christmas. A lovely but strong Belgian Tripel if you must know.
I'm a bit younger probably but I DO know and appreciate older movies eh :p
True that I don't have a Mary Poppins "culture" but I'll take that advice:
In every job that must be done
There is an element of fun
You find the fun, and snap!
The job's a game
And every task you undertake
Becomes a piece of cake
A lark, a spree!
It's very clear to see
and add the film to my to watch list, it's a must-see classic I suppose. Oh and I just saw the video, nice one indeed, put a smile on my face :)
As for the beer, wow I wish I could taste that homemade tripel. I love Belgian beers, although I don't know many of them — there are hundreds of brands!
The one that actually made me love beer (about 7 years ago only, I'm such a late lover but hooked ever since :rolleyes:) was the Blue Chimay. I still like it but very occasionaly, I prefer lighter ones now.
Cheers and Bula to you then!

Paradise Kava

Honolulu, HI
Kava Vendor
Aloha Blissy! Welcome!
I recommend you switch Kava powders and take the Fijian instead of the ISA (unless your order is already dispatched, you'd have to email us and find out)
ISA is reserved for Kava heads beyond my own comprehension, you know who you are :rolleyes: Don't touch the stuff myself unless a batch needs tasting.
Adil

blissy

Kava Curious
@earth mother
Thank you for the welcome! It is surely a cosy place here with amazing souls as you put it.
Much
to you.

Aloha Blissy! Welcome!
I recommend you switch Kava powders and take the Fijian instead of the ISA (unless your order is already dispatched, you'd have to email us and find out)
ISA is reserved for Kava heads beyond my own comprehension, you know who you are :rolleyes: Don't touch the stuff myself unless a batch needs tasting.
Adil
Hi Adil! I'm the customer from France who contacted you because worried about a delay in shipping (order on November 6). You explained why and dispatched right after you received my email, and I was very happy :D
All's ok with the Isa strain, I've read everything about it here and on your product reviews (that's a great thing, reviews on the site I mean), and purchased it in all consciousness :) I'm planning to go easy on it, I know it's a very strong kava ;)

Oh… I've just seen the huge discount on your products… too bad for me I'm missing it :(
Thanks anyway Adil, I know I won't be disappointed with your kava. I can't wait for it to arrive!

Bula Kava House

Portland, OR
Kava Vendor
Kava Bar Owner
Thank you dear Forum mama :D;)

@Deleted User01
After reading somewhere that you put it in the fridge, I did too and it was a much better tasting tea. I'm pretty sure I will eventually like the taste, when I have the full effects of it. For now like I said, I only feel sleepy and tired, with a very slight body buzz still.

I'll try to suggest that to myself! Do you have a link where they explain how to make that Pina Kavada ?
As for the lecithin, I was about to buy some the other day. Then I remembered some of you find it not that useful for getting kavalactones out.
How I prepare my kava : let it soak a few minutes, knead for 10-15 minutes in warm/hot water. Then another kneading in a little cold water. Mix the two and let it sit in the fridge. Maybe I'm missing something?

@violet
So do you add the milk or cream AFTER you made the kava and AFTER you let it chill ? Because my second kava tea was a catastrophy. And since I didn't keep it in the fridge, it looked like that (hold your breath)

Not yummy for sure :oops:

Thank you all for the welcome and help, much appreciated. I have a few more questions if I may.

Are there any smooth tasting heady kavas? One that will keep me alert during musical activities for instance, for a few hours and not let me feeling miserable after the effects fade out.
I hear Melo Melo, Nambawan, Solomon and Tongan/Fu'u could fit that category, do you agree ?

Plus, most of you shop @Bula Kava House, do they indeed ship to Europe? (Judd ya hear me? lol)

Last but not least :D Has anyone lately tried VKS/GKE/&co kava strains? I see so few reviews of their products. If so, are some of their products the daytime type of kava? I'm not that fan of Malekula actually, though this could be because of the reverse tolerance still not kicking in.
Thanks again!

My next challenge : writing shorter posts :rolleyes:
We ship to most of western Europe. If I'm at all sketchy about the reliability of the destination country's postal service we won't ship there though.