What's new

Frozen makas - thank you Krunkie!

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
So I ran out of Kava and decided to hold off on buying some more, to save money. I found myself missing it though, so I ordered the 1 oz sample packs from Nakamal at Home but they won't be here until Tuesday. Here I'm thinking I'm going to have to take more clonazepam and I don't want to take that stuff any more, and then I remember that I have a big tupperware bowl of frozen makas in the freezer! I thawed it in the fridge for about 24 hours then defrosted it in the microwave, traditional prepped it and came out with about 3-4 shells of pretty decent stuff. This really works, and stretches my kava dollar out!

@Krunkie McKrunkface you are the man! Bula, and I hope we can have a shell some day! Thanks so much for all you contribute.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
So I ran out of Kava and decided to hold off on buying some more, to save money. I found myself missing it though, so I ordered the 1 oz sample packs from Nakamal at Home but they won't be here until Tuesday. Here I'm thinking I'm going to have to take more clonazepam and I don't want to take that stuff any more, and then I remember that I have a big tupperware bowl of frozen makas in the freezer! I thawed it in the fridge for about 24 hours then defrosted it in the microwave, traditional prepped it and came out with about 3-4 shells of pretty decent stuff. This really works, and stretches my kava dollar out!

@Krunkie McKrunkface you are the man! Bula, and I hope we can have a shell some day! Thanks so much for all you contribute.
That’s very kind of you but I outright stole the idea from a very nice guitar player in FL. She’s not around here as much these days but I like to think she’d shred me ( in A minor at least ) for accepting credit. But I am overjoyed it worked for you. I made a gallon of mongrel grog last night and it was very handy with three heavy shellers in the house. Good stuff. Bula!

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
That’s very kind of you but I outright stole the idea from a very nice guitar player in FL. She’s not around here as much these days but I like to think she’d shred me ( in A minor at least ) for accepting credit. But I am overjoyed it worked for you. I made a gallon of mongrel grog last night and it was very handy with three heavy shellers in the house. Good stuff. Bula!
But I can take credit for a much quicker fast thaw method: put the bowl of frozen makas in a larger container with hot tap water, long enough for the makas to come unstuck from the sides of the bowl, so you can slide it out of the bowl and into the strainer bag. Then put that in your kneading tanoa or bowl, tie the opening tight and cover with the kneading water, hot out of the tap. Gently break up whatever chunks you can from bigger chunks to smaller chunks without damaging the bag. Then let sit for 20 - 30 minutes and then it should be good for kneading. Even with a few little frozen chunks it should thaw as you knead. Not ideal but fast and it works.

Blue Roads

Kava Enthusiast
But I can take credit for a much quicker fast thaw method: put the bowl of frozen makas in a larger container with hot tap water, long enough for the makas to come unstuck from the sides of the bowl, so you can slide it out of the bowl and into the strainer bag. Then put that in your kneading tanoa or bowl, tie the opening tight and cover with the kneading water, hot out of the tap. Gently break up whatever chunks you can from bigger chunks to smaller chunks without damaging the bag. Then let sit for 20 - 30 minutes and then it should be good for kneading. Even with a few little frozen chunks it should thaw as you knead. Not ideal but fast and it works.
I'll try that, Thanks!