What's new

GKE are shutting shop

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
That's a shame as they are really good blokes. We can get kava from elsewhere but having the option of 2 day shipping of a range of good products has been really useful. Sad to see them go.

D

Deleted User01

I know GKE went through lots of hassles trying to sell kava in Europe. The same legal hassles that forced GHK (@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava) to quit selling in Europe. Oh well, at least the drug companies will benefit from increased sales of "Mommas little helpers", Benzos.

Groggy

Kava aficionado
Admin
(n) that's a shame, I don't buy from them, but stinks for the Kavasseurs over the pond.

Reactions: EQ

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
What does it take for you guys to get kava in Europe? Do you have to label it as tea, gumballs, cement????:wtf:. Really how do you guys get your kava, what do the sellers have to do to get it to you folks and have you ever had any problems. I had a kava lover in the UK tell me how he is facing a fine because customs found his kava "Tea" they sent him a letter and I hope that he did not get a fine. It seems that tea might now work anymore. I would love to sell to Europe but it seems that I have no luck with that. Any thoughts or ideas?
Aloha.

Chris

moff000

Kava Enthusiast
In the two odd years i've been getting it sent over to the UK i've never had a problem.
I've has stuff shipped to the uk in bags labelled clothing dye!
Most of my kava i've bought has been from KWK and BKH in their proper packaging without issue..

EQ

Atman
What does it take for you guys to get kava in Europe? Do you have to label it as tea, gumballs, cement????:wtf:. Really how do you guys get your kava, what do the sellers have to do to get it to you folks and have you ever had any problems. I had a kava lover in the UK tell me how he is facing a fine because customs found his kava "Tea" they sent him a letter and I hope that he did not get a fine. It seems that tea might now work anymore. I would love to sell to Europe but it seems that I have no luck with that. Any thoughts or ideas?
Aloha.

Chris
I don't know what it is, but all my Kava shipments have never been checked except the few times I've ordered from you.
I live in Canada so there was no issues just yellow tape on the bags, and saying it was checked.
Seems like you attract the eyes Chris.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Aloha.

Chris
Seriously Chris, I would love you to sell to me in the UK. I have ordered from a wide range of vendors and the products have ALWAYS arrived with no problems. Sometimes there is a customs fee but for the most part it's no problem. I order quite often from kava kuaia who are also known as realkava.com and they are in Hawaii. I've had it marked as tea, south pacific tea, tongan tea and a few others. Bula Kava House even put their whole name on the shipping document and it still always arrives. I'm not sure if you used to have trouble because they were looking for it but I think these days they have more to worry about with legal highs, etc. I've always said I would be happy to bear the monetary loss if anything got seized and you didn't get it back. So how about we try an order?

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
Wow people get a fine? I thought they just confiscated the kava if it went to a country that it wasn't allowed and it was found in customs. Makes me sad to think how alcohol can be legal in a country and kava not be legal.

Reactions: EQ

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Wow people get a fine? I thought they just confiscated the kava if it went to a country that it wasn't allowed and it was found in customs. Makes me sad to think how alcohol can be legal in a country and kava not be legal.
I don't know if it was a fine or just a customs charge which you sometimes get?

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I don't know what it is, but all my Kava shipments have never been checked except the few times I've ordered from you.
I live in Canada so there was no issues just yellow tape on the bags, and saying it was checked.
Seems like you attract the eyes Chris.
My Tongan reserve from thekavaroots.com was checked on the way out of Canada for some bizarre reason.

verticity

I'm interested in things
What does it take for you guys to get kava in Europe? Do you have to label it as tea, gumballs, cement????:wtf:. ... It seems that tea might now work anymore. I would love to sell to Europe but it seems that I have no luck with that. Any thoughts or ideas?
"Tea" doesn't work. Now all kava for the UK must be labeled "Haggis"

verticity

I'm interested in things
One thing I have noticed is that some vendors are now shipping using their name instead of the name of their company in the return address. For example, "Judd Rench" instead of "Bula Kava House". Maybe it would help to ship as "Chris Allen" instead of "Koa Wood Hawaii" (customs might be suspicious of the latter since the package doesn't actually contain koa wood, I don't know...)

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
I understand @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava 's concerns. His customers might be "promising" to "accept the risk", but paypal doesn't care about such promises. If anyone opens a paypal dispute after not getting their order and Chris cannot demonstrate that order has been delivered, paypal will send them a refund. It's obviously unfair, but that's how paypal operates. Chris might be able to get the money back through USPS insurance, but I don't think it works when the packages get seized by customs etc.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
I understand @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava 's concerns. His customers might be "promising" to "accept the risk", but paypal doesn't care about such promises. If anyone opens a paypal dispute after not getting their order and Chris cannot demonstrate that order has been delivered, paypal will send them a refund. It's obviously unfair, but that's how paypal operates. Chris might be able to get the money back through USPS insurance, but I don't think it works when the packages get seized by customs etc.
That's true but I can always wire the money so Chris has it in his account and I have no way to claim it back.

Vapor

@Edward
@wassie
@moff000
Yeah hi there, I'm just a lurker here but I was quite perplexed that no one has suggested this so I figured I should:

I just used https://www.shipito.com for the first time a few days a go to buy something from an American company that only ships inside America (not kava though - some kitchen furniture). Basically you register and you get your own American address. Then you use that address to ship it wherever you want. You have plenty of options like airmail (slow but cheap) and DHL (fast but expensive) and others. I used this to ship to Asia but I think to Europe it shouldn't be a problem either.

For example let's say you buy Kava from GHK/CK, You tell them to ship it to your American address. Then on shipito you yourself can ship it anywhere in the world.
Most vendors offer free shipping in the U.S. so you end up only paying for the outbound shipping.

Anyway, there's a few companies that offer such service for free, you can use their shipping calculator to see which one is the cheapest (or fastest):

https://calculator.shipito.com/en/#/
https://www.stackry.com/en/shipping-calculator
https://app.shopfans.com/tariffs.html
(edit - removed usgobuy after encountering many bad reviews)

Might be worth a shot for you guys in Europe.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Interesting, do they not require some crazy paperwork or anything? I only ask because even as a US citizen if you want mail forwarded you have to fill out a scary USPS form and give them IDs and stuff.