What's new

Good kava in Canada?

I did a search but couldn't find an answer to this question... is there a *good* source of Kava in Canada? I bought some from Bula Kava house and it took just over 2 weeks to get here due to Canada customs (I'm actually surprised the package didn't get hit with all sorts of ridiculous fees). But just wondering if I can avoid the CAD to USD exchange (it's terrible for us right now) as well as shipping costs / wait times. So preferably in the Greater Toronto Area would be great... just wondering if anyone's found any here that's worth it? Thanks :)

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
https://www.thekavaroots.com/ is the only Canadian vendor I'm aware of that I would advise ordering from (definitely avoid headshops, nutraceutical companies, etc).

I'd say 2 weeks is pretty extreme from what I've heard, although it's been a while since we had a lot of Canadians regularly posting here.

EQ

Atman
Kava is simply more expensive for us.
You will always have these delays on shipping. International shipping is slow, and expensive.
@kavadude 2 weeks is normal when including the time it takes for the vendor to ship the package. Sometimes you get a speed bump and you get in a week, but 2 should be expected. I've waited up to 4.
@Edward How long does it take for your packages to come in?

Thanks for the link to the Kava Roots. I did look at their website, but it appears they're sold out of all kava at the moment (unless I'm missing something...).
Okay, that's what I feared - it'll just be more expensive. Ah well. Figured it was worth a shot. Thank you both.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
@EQ That really sucks. I get packages from overseas to the US in a week, you'd figure it would be faster from US -> Canada considering the lack of distance and no need to cross an ocean.

eggman

Hi there, I am totally new to Kava, but did a fair amount of research prior, as I too live in Canada as well.

In anticipation of reverse tolerance, I bought some Now Kava liquid stuff from iherb. Same day I bought half a pound of Mahakea from GHK.
I guess I got a little lucky and felt the liquid stuff after a few days; not much, but I noticed I wasn't as stressed, and my sleep monitor showed that my deep sleep had increased by 30 mins on the nights I took kava.

That little feeling prompted me to order another 2lbs, so I went with BKH (shipping was the same for 2lb as a half pound). I ordered that on Friday around 5pm ET, and got confirmation that the kava was prepared for shipping yesterday. I can update the delivery time, but as @EQ mentioned, there is a delay due to custom's inspecting

The GHK arrived today and took 11 days from the day I ordered it, with a little stop at customs. I know this as they opened the external padded envelope that contained the packet of kava.

My advice, would be to simply plan ahead. In anticipation of enjoying kava and perhaps running out at some point, I did also order some of the candies from kavakavacandy too!

I made my very first shell(s) about 30 mins ago, and it tastes surprisingly nice. There is a very good chance I will make a little one before bed

Good luck!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Kava is simply more expensive for us.
You will always have these delays on shipping. International shipping is slow, and expensive.
@kavadude 2 weeks is normal when including the time it takes for the vendor to ship the package. Sometimes you get a speed bump and you get in a week, but 2 should be expected. I've waited up to 4.
@Edward How long does it take for your packages to come in?
It varies a lot but seems to be around a week to a week and a half. My last shipment with the GHK and N@H powders came from New Hampshire to Wales in about 2 days with DHL, super fast but normal shipping is about a week, 10 days or so. KWK and BKH are both good for shipping, not had problems with any of them really.

I may have mentioned this somewhere else but I REALLY LOVE THEKAVAROOTS.COM TONGAN RESERVE!!! Awesome, awesome kava. @sp33dphr34k When it gets back in stock, get in your car/your dad's car/your neighbours car/steal a car and get yourself to their door and fill your boot (trunk?). Awesome kava.

Paulie-Paul

thekavaroots.com
Kava Vendor
It varies a lot but seems to be around a week to a week and a half. My last shipment with the GHK and N@H powders came from New Hampshire to Wales in about 2 days with DHL, super fast but normal shipping is about a week, 10 days or so. KWK and BKH are both good for shipping, not had problems with any of them really.

I may have mentioned this somewhere else but I REALLY LOVE THEKAVAROOTS.COM TONGAN RESERVE!!! Awesome, awesome kava. @sp33dphr34k When it gets back in stock, get in your car/your dad's car/your neighbours car/steal a car and get yourself to their door and fill your boot (trunk?). Awesome kava.
Good News Guys, we have Reserve back in stock!! Malo

exit stage left
2 weeks is usually about how long shipments take to get to me near Toronto.

Kalm With Kava sometimes lists products on Amazon.ca.

Gatsby

Hi All,
First time poster here. I live on the East cost in Canada, and shipping times vary. As others have mentioned above, plan ahead. I have placed 4 orders with GHK over the past year, and two of the shipments arrived in about 2 weeks. Two other shipments ordered weeks apart were "sent for further processing" in Canadian customs for three months. I had written them off as lost, but they did eventually arrive. Ordering Kalm with Kava off of amazon.ca is my second go to for ordering in Canada. Shipping is usually less than two weeks. Canadian customs is the wild card.

PS - GHK fills their orders super fast
Cheers,
Gatsby

mzii

Kava Curious
Hi All,
First time poster here. I live on the East cost in Canada, and shipping times vary. As others have mentioned above, plan ahead. I have placed 4 orders with GHK over the past year, and two of the shipments arrived in about 2 weeks. Two other shipments ordered weeks apart were "sent for further processing" in Canadian customs for three months. I had written them off as lost, but they did eventually arrive. Ordering Kalm with Kava off of amazon.ca is my second go to for ordering in Canada. Shipping is usually less than two weeks. Canadian customs is the wild card.

PS - GHK fills their orders super fast
Cheers,
Gatsby
That is good to know, as I have a package from GHK that has been "sent for further processing" since Sept. 26.. I've ordered several since then that all arrived within 1-2 weeks... I guess customs randomly selects them for thorough inspection.

Funny side note - On Monday I placed an order through Kavafied who use first class mail instead of priority, and it's already cleared customs and is expected to be delivered this Tuesday.. That's faster than I've ever received a package through the more expensive priority shipping option. Postal services make no sense sometimes.

Last edited:

Gatsby

That is good to know, as I have a package from GHK that has been "sent for further processing" since Sept. 26.. I've ordered several since then that all arrived within 1-2 weeks... I guess customs randomly selects them for thorough inspection.

Funny side note - On Monday I placed an order through Kavafied who use first class mail instead of priority, and it's already cleared customs and is expected to be delivered this Tuesday.. That's faster than I've ever received a package through the more expensive priority shipping option. Postal services make no sense sometimes.
Thanks for the tip on Kavafield. I will have to check them out the next time my GHK order is stuck in customs!

Hey, I've ordered King Kava through iHerb.com several times now. The packages have all arrived within two days (one came in the afternoon of the next day). I'm in Toronto, so DHL may take longer to get to other parts of Canada. GHK has been quick too, 1-2 weeks, tops.

IIRC The Kava Roots doesn't ship to Canada. I tried to buy from them awhile ago and made it to checkout, but Canada wasn't an option for shipping. I think this might be because they're a Canadian vendor. Kava is legal to sell in Canada now, but the market is still very tightly regulated and the government needs to explicitly approve each product before it can be sold within Canada. AFAIK, the only approved products are capsules and extracts, which GNC and other health stores carry.

It's always been legal for Canadians to import it for personal use, and I'm not sure where the law stands on a Canadian vendor who only sells to international customers, but I think The Kava Roots could get in trouble as a Canadian vendor selling to Canadians.

But, shipping time should only be an issue once, right? As long as you order your new kava before the old runs out?