What's new

Graphing kavalactone concentration

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
I'm hoping that a simple easy to grok kavagram can be developed that gives at-a-glance kavalactone profile so that you only need to see the length of the color pies to know what you're getting.

Now the issue of scale for the axes. Perhaps 5% since no one kavalactone is going to be present in that great amount. Or maybe even 3. I don't think I've seen more than 3% of any given kavalactone yet, though I haven't seen what Papa Kea looks like in terms of breakout. Then the total coverage area on the kavagram would indicate combined strength.

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Here's a little FKB:KL blurb that's somewhat on-topic or at least informative:
Overall, 172 samples originating from four cultivars groups (noble, medicinal, two-days and wichmannii), were analysed. Results indicate that the ratio FKB/kavalactones is much higher in two-days (0.39) and wichmannii (0.32) compared to nobles (0.09) and medicinal cultivars (0.10). For each group, the ratios flavokavins/kavalactones do not change significantly between roots, stumps or basal stems and among clones, indicating that they are genetically controlled.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
I'm not sure total KL% should be represented this strongly in the chart. A lot depends on kava/water ratio, prep technique, first/second wash, and especially shell size. KL% does affect value, but if I'm not getting the strength I'm looking for I just have a larger shell.

For instance, a 6oz shell of 8% kava is the same as a 4oz shell of 12% kava.
That's true, but when purchasing I tend to stay away from impotent kavas because I'm on a limited budget. $/kavalactone is important to me.

That said, I can make multiple visualizations. I will experiment with it some more but it's not like we're limited to only one type of chart.

Poivrier

methystified
I like your graphs explorations !
It would be nice if we could find a color chart that speaks to everyone as well, I had some fun trying an example:
1-desmethoxyyangonin
2-dihydrokavain
3-yangonin
4-kavain
5-dihydromethysticin
6-methysticin

Mo’i: 426351
Nene: 246513
Isa: 254631
Iwi:256431
Bundun 1: 165324

D

Deleted User01

Awesome job Kavadude! I'm a coder and I can appreciate the effort you put into this. If I were to subcontract to someone for this then it would probably cost about a gadzillion dollars give or take a few. Thanks man! ::awesomesmiles::

I just did a double take of Kavadude's graph and this stuff is really mind boggling. First @Harpos testing methods and now an analytical and easy to read representation of the kava chemotype by strain. Dad Gomet, I'm proud to be a member of this forum!! ::awesomesmiles::
I'm signing up for the job of Cheerleading since I know nothing! Of course if @KavaGurl would return, then she could lead us in our cheer routines. :hilarious:

Ok, here is one she taught me. Shake it ... and bake it .... just don't break it. :sneaky:

::frosty:: Deleted User01, just go back into your cage and let Kavadude and Deleted User do the important work ... Ok? Damn, it's not even Friday. Oh, and Kudos to the human you call Kavadude.

Last edited by a moderator:

verticity

I'm interested in things
I'm not sure total KL% should be represented this strongly in the chart. A lot depends on kava/water ratio, prep technique, first/second wash, and especially shell size. KL% does affect value, but if I'm not getting the strength I'm looking for I just have a larger shell.

For instance, a 6oz shell of 8% kava is the same as a 4oz shell of 12% kava.
I would tend to agree that total KL% doesn't really belong in this kind of chart, since the relative proportions are what are important and distinctive of a chemotype.