What's new

Grind question

Vinestal

Kava Curious
Hi guys
New guy here,
I'm kinda overwhelmed by the amount of info on Kava. I settled on buying an AluBall for mixing as it seems the simplest solution. I'm wondering about what kind of grind I should use though? Is a medium grind ok for the Aluball? Ive heard the micronized grinds can be overly strong for beginners.
I fight a lot of muscle soreness and back pain along with high stress levels and some issues sleeping. It seems like a medium grind is the more affordable route as the smaller grinds seem more expensive so I'm leaning toward a medium grind.
Then there is what kind to get. I saw somewhere that Nene helped with sleep issues so I was leaning toward that. It's difficult to find a list of Kava types with simple easy to understand descriptions, it seems like 5 people can try the same type and have 5 different experiences.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Hi guys
New guy here,
I'm kinda overwhelmed by the amount of info on Kava. I settled on buying an AluBall for mixing as it seems the simplest solution. I'm wondering about what kind of grind I should use though? Is a medium grind ok for the Aluball? Ive heard the micronized grinds can be overly strong for beginners.
I fight a lot of muscle soreness and back pain along with high stress levels and some issues sleeping. It seems like a medium grind is the more affordable route as the smaller grinds seem more expensive so I'm leaning toward a medium grind.
Then there is what kind to get. I saw somewhere that Nene helped with sleep issues so I was leaning toward that. It's difficult to find a list of Kava types with simple easy to understand descriptions, it seems like 5 people can try the same type and have 5 different experiences.
Yep, aluball is designed for med grind, you don't need to strain the other types. Nene is nice but I would go straight to Hiwa and/or Papa Kea if you're looking for good muscle relaxation and help sleeping with a bit of balance there too.

Zaphod

Kava Lover
Looks like you got your answer: medium grind for aluball or traditional kneading preparation, microgrind and instant you just mix with liquid and down the whole thing with no need for straining.

You will find different vendors have different levels/sizes for their medium grind some finer then others but all meant to be strained in some manner.

Vinestal

Kava Curious
Thanks everybody for your help
I wound up ordering some Fiji Loa Waka from KwK and my Aluball should be here tomorrow, so maybe sometime next week I should be trying my first Kava!

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
Personally loa waka just makes me feel funny but everyone is different. I like Hiwa a lot. Let us know how you get on with both.

Edward

Aluballin' in the UK
Kava Vendor
As time goes on and you let us know which kavas you do and don't like it will be easier to recommend something else that you will enjoy. Of course it might be worth just trying one of everything but that takes time ;-)

Vinestal

Kava Curious
I
Looks like you started off with some solid Kavas. I would recommend trying Borongoru as well, as it has a kind of "typical" Kava feeling to it. A nice mellow krunk and a good sleep aid.

Kalm with Kava Borongoru is my all-time favorite. Very dependable: http://amzn.to/2hXXwUM
I will add it to my list!
I have really enjoyed your YouTube videos btw!
thanks for all the great reviews you do.

Kava_Joe

Kava Curious
Papa Kea and Hiwa are great choices ! I use both. Hiwa is my favorite Kava period. I agree with Kavasseur on his choice of KWK Borongoru for a sleep aid. I use it if I looking for a good sleep. Welcome and keep us posted on your results and any questions

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
Don't underestimate Nene ! Hehe it's a powerhouse of subtly. The best thing is that their doesn't seem to be a possibility of getting stimulated from it like with the stronger kavas...
The stronger something leans toward sedation the more chance of an idiosyncratic effect in someone where you get stimulated . this seems to happen with all 3 pungent sedative herbs Kava, cannnabis, and Valerian root.
All of which can stimulate some and sedate others but main course of action is sedation ... the stronger it is the more chance that idiosyncratic effect will be apparent . since if it's strong sedative and it happens to stimulate you then you have strong stimulation
Nene and things like lemon balm or chamomile typically are lighter but no chance of idosyncratic stimulation

Vinestal

Kava Curious
So I made a batch with 4 heaping tablespoons of Hiwa and 9 oz of water in the blender for 4 min, strained with Kavacon strainer bag. Then about 25 min later I made a batch with the aluball with 2 tablespoons of Hiwa and a cup of water, then I rewashed that ball with about a cup of almond milk. I prefer the flavor with the almond milk. So far its just numbed my tongue and I'm starting to feel heavy/deeply relaxed... if that makes any sense. I'm wondering can I make Kava and put it in the fridge for the next day? This stuff taste horrendous by the way. The candied ginger was a great tip though I have felt no nausea. Im gonna go kick back somewhere now...