What's new

Kava Side Effects Hangover?

Paddy

Kava Curious
Ok so I have continued with my 1 Tbsp a night to build up kavalactones. Last night was day 3 using ROH Vanuatu premium kava powder.
My prep was slightly different last night. After kneading in water for 10 minutes I poured my grog which had plenty of the chocolate mud silt stuff into a glass. I added coconut milk and some pineapple/oj juice and drank it. I definitely felt some effect this time. Kind of a warm and fuzzy sensation across the back of my neck and a little bit of a "drifting" feeling. I just felt a little more at ease than earlierin the day. That lasted a very short time. I then ate some fresh made tuna salad and went to bed a little while later.
I woke up today with a slight hangover. Minor headache and funky overall feeling.
Anyone else ever have this happen? Am I just sensitive to it? I used to get minor hangovers from drinking just one or two strong beers if I hadn't drank in awhile. I haven't been drank alcohol since July really. No time recently that is for sure. I'm trying again tonight. I'll update tomorrow.

Krunkie McKrunkface

Kava Connoisseur
Ok so I have continued with my 1 Tbsp a night to build up kavalactones. Last night was day 3 using ROH Vanuatu premium kava powder.
My prep was slightly different last night. After kneading in water for 10 minutes I poured my grog which had plenty of the chocolate mud silt stuff into a glass. I added coconut milk and some pineapple/oj juice and drank it. I definitely felt some effect this time. Kind of a warm and fuzzy sensation across the back of my neck and a little bit of a "drifting" feeling. I just felt a little more at ease than earlierin the day. That lasted a very short time. I then ate some fresh made tuna salad and went to bed a little while later.
I woke up today with a slight hangover. Minor headache and funky overall feeling.
Anyone else ever have this happen? Am I just sensitive to it? I used to get minor hangovers from drinking just one or two strong beers if I hadn't drank in awhile. I haven't been drank alcohol since July really. No time recently that is for sure. I'm trying again tonight. I'll update tomorrow.
I've had carry-over effects, like still feeling great the next day, from kava but never had a hangover. One of the great things I love about kava is I always sleep well and I always wake up feeling at least good. Often great.

Minor headache and funky overall feeling could be dehydration. It's a real adjustment process for new kava drinkers, finding out that they need to drink way more water than then ever thought they would. I would go so far as to say that most of the bad symptoms people attribute to kava are really due to dehydration and not the kava itself. Kava is a diuretic and generally dries you out in many ways. If you drink kava, you must increase fluid intake. Even veteran kava drinkers need the occasional reminder about dehydration, btw, so don't feel bad, it's something everyone has to deal with. This is so common it should be your first thought when anything arises: is it dehydration?

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
Hangover is possible. I had 12 tbs of Kava Vinaka "Waka" last night and definitely feel a bit hung over today; no headache, but not normal either. Main annoyance = muscle relaxation. I don't like residual muscle relaxation because it makes me very dis-inclined to exercise.

Paddy

Kava Curious
So I've decided to take a different path. I'm going to purchase another strain from a different vendor and see how that goes. I would have given it another try, but it's a weekday and I have 4 more of these dang workdays to go . Any suggestions on a good starter strain? Thanks in advance.