What's new

Has anyone tried the Mountain Rose Herbs Kava?

zerogravi

Kava Curious
I have recently been getting into drinking different forms of kava and I was wondering if anyone has any opinion on the kava from mountain rose herbs? (mountainroseherbs.com) thanks.

Bert07

Me like da kava
Not sure if anyone has tried it out, I know I haven't. You can go ahead and try em out but you'll always get a good variety from the vendors mentioned here on the forum. You'll never go wrong with any of them.

ThePiper

Kava Lover
I'm 90% sure this is what I got from my lol herb shop. It's respectably potent, might even be tudei but I've never tried one. I just say that because it's the only kava that's made me feel koned the next day even before I worked through RT...It's a little nauseating for me like melo melo though....:sour:

Blimpie

Kava Curious
Hello, the first kava I tried is from Mountain Rose Herbs, and it is effective! Their site states that the kava they have involves Melo Melo, Borugu, and Plarasul cultivars. I cannot find any info about Plarasul online, which is odd, so I sent an email to them yesterday to ask about it. I used 4 heaping tbsp and kneaded it in very warm water for 15 minutes, in a cloth bag, and the anti-anxiety/happy feeling is nearly immediate!

Blimpie

Kava Curious
Just a note...I figured out that MRH misspelled "Palarasul". Which explains why I could not find any information about it!

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
...Their site states that the kava they have involves Melo Melo, Borugu, and Plarasul cultivars...
Do you mean it's a single Kava product they sell with those cultivars blended together in it??. If so, sounds kinda interesting, but wonder why they did that.

Blimpie

Kava Curious
"The typical cultivars which constitute the Kava Kava offered by Mountain Rose Herbs are Borugu, Plarasul, and Melo Melo."
That's what their description says. It is more affordable than the other kavas I have found online. From what I have read about the experiences people have with more expensive kava, I am thinking this is a lot less potent...so perhaps MRH is not getting the choicest selections, which is why it is affordable! But, I'd rather have mild kava I can afford than no kava at all. I have no bad after-effects from this kava. I believe MRH is a decent company. I would be interested to hear any feedback concerning this kava, in terms of how it compares to the other varieties!

Muskava

Kava Curious
This was the first kava I tried. I really liked it, super mouth numbing and put me in a very happy place. I'm not sure if I experienced any RT but I felt effects pretty quickly. I would order it again if I was buying other stuff from mountain rose herbs. I prefer buying from the other vendors here now, the extra information they provide is a huge plus, but it wouldn't hurt to have a few pounds of this on hand (I recently ran completly out of all my kava and wished I had had a secret stash!)

infraredz

BULA!
I recommend running the test that kavadude linked you to when trying a new vendor, especially if the kava is very potent and cheap because tudei kava is very cheap to grow and offers a high yield in terms of biomass, potentcy, etc.

Regarding the cultivars, Melo Melo is apparently very rare, and very expensive kava at that. I've heard that those who grow it actually grow it in the middle of their plot "hidden" from others because it is so high rated that it is worth stealing and apparently this stealing isn't rare. Borogu is a common cultivar from Vanuatu.

I can't find anything in any of the documents or articles I have regarding a cultivar named "Plarasul"

The Codex on Kava Safety lists these as safe kava varieties from Vanuatu:
Palarasul, Palasa, Poivota, Pia, Puariki

And these are from the compilation of chemotypes (and I'm having source amnesia as to where it came from)
Palarasul Santo 246531
Palasa Santo 246531
Paliment Emae 426351

Could just be a misspelling or a miscommunication between the grower, wholesaler, exported and vendor. I'm guessing it's referring to Palarasul as that's a very similar name.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
I have never tried their Kava but I have ordered a lot of herbs from them and they are always top quality. They specialize in bulk purchases, so the prices are very low on all of their herbs. But I would agree to test it first to verify. I highly doubt a general herb dealer that doesn't have extensive kava knowledge would really know the difference anyway.

zerogravi

Kava Curious
Welcome aboard, Blimpie!

That is indeed a good price for kava. In fact, I think that's the cheapest I have ever seen for a pound of kava, unless they tack on a lot of shipping. I would highly recommend running it through this test: http://www.kavaforums.com/forum/thr...-tudei-please-read-if-youre-new-to-kava.2451/ in order to make sure it is not a tudei variety.

Yeah ill have to do the test when i get some time. All I got to compare the mrh kava is with stone kava, would this be a good test? Not too mention my mrh kava is over three years old. Would age effect the test results at all?

KavaKenji

Kava Curious
Mountain Rose sells their kava at the Herb Shoppe in Brooklyn, NY. MR is organic and that is why I tried the powdered version (they also sell the chips), experiencing a mild feeling of relaxation during my five or so experiences.