What's new

Hawai'i Tropical Storm

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
Very best of luck Chris hoping for the best. Here's the latest that was posted on the storm site.

Tropical storm Darby is forecast to approach the Big Island from the east-southeast through tomorrow before taking a gradual turn toward the northwest. On the forecast track, the center of Darby expected to pass very close to, or over, the Big Island on Saturday, and very close to the islands of Maui county Saturday night and Sunday. However, there is still considerable uncertainty as to where the center of Darby will go. Also it is important to remember that the hazards of a tropical cyclone, which include locally heavy rain, high and potentially damaging surf, and strong winds, can extend over a broad area away from the center. Additionally, the interaction between Darby and the terrain of the islands will likely lead to locally gusty winds well away from the center, especially in high terrain and in tall buildings.

Piper Methysticum

Let Kava Take The Wheel
Just googled the current storm's wind speeds...unlikely to do any major damage to kava plants in Hawaii
Right, I've been tracking this storm for quite a while. It was a strong hurricane 10 days ago but now down to strong tropical storm status. Latest satellite image looks a little bit more impressive though. It is holding together and should start affecting the Big Island in only a few hours.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Right, I've been tracking this storm for quite a while. It was a strong hurricane 10 days ago but now down to strong tropical storm status. Latest satellite image looks a little bit more impressive though. It is holding together and should start affecting the Big Island in only a few hours.
It did slow down overnight and is no longer a direct threat to Northeast Hawaii Island, my Hamakua Coast area. It shifted south and at 7 am HST still not much going on. Good rain now, not much wind. Wind speed expected to be up to 45 MPH later today. That's OK.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
@Gourmet Hawaiian Kava are you OK? I heard that the storm made landfall on the Big Island this weekend:
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/west/2016/07/25/421217.htm
HI, ya we are just fine, we had a lot of rain and there were high winds but they were not too bad. Now to the real question------ Is the kava plants okay? Yes there are fine too. It is unfortunate though that I had a lemon tree and a guava tree that blew down. The Guava tree came about 4 inches away from a Hanakapi Ai. :nailbiting: It is a beautiful day today, lots of sunshine but not too much wind. Aloha.

Chris

verticity

I'm interested in things
HI, ya we are just fine, we had a lot of rain and there were high winds but they were not too bad. Now to the real question------ Is the kava plants okay? Yes there are fine too. It is unfortunate though that I had a lemon tree and a guava tree that blew down. The Guava tree came about 4 inches away from a Hanakapi Ai. :nailbiting: It is a beautiful day today, lots of sunshine but not too much wind. Aloha.

Chris
Glad to hear it. :) And yes that was the real question, but I would have felt badly asking it if your house flooded or something.. :cautious: So no "Hurricane Blend" this year? :ROFLMAO: