What's new

Hawaiian 'Awa 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi everyone, for me kava has a special place in my life, I get to see and experience things with kava that others do not. One of the things is the smell of the growing kava plants on a moist early morning or afternoon. It smells great, hard to describe but certainly addictive. :D
I also like the way the kava looks, all the different colors and differences in the morphology or the looks of the kava plant.
Here are some pictures for you all to enjoy. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do.
Aloha nui loa.

Chris
This is the Alia mutation, it has a nice green color.
Alia mutation.JPG

This is 'Awa Hiwa, nice and dark.
'Awa Hiwa.JPG

More 'Awa Hiwa.
'Awa Hiwa 2.JPG

Another 'Awa Hiwa.
Hiwa 3.JPG

'Awa Nene.
'Awa Nene.JPG

'Awa Mahakea.
Mahakea.JPG

Another 'Awa Mahakea.
Mahakea 2.JPG

'Awa Mapulehu.
Mapulehu.JPG

Papa Ele Ele Puu Puu.
Papa Ele Ele Puu Puu.JPG

Another Papa Ele Ele Puu Puu.
Papa Ele Ele Puu Puu 2.JPG

Papa Ele Ele Puu Puu 3.JPG

This is an unknown kava, I along with another kava expert think it might be what is called Waa Waa. This is not Hawaiian and was brought here by Nuku Hiva Trading co. Here is a growing tip or secret. Notice I cut the tip of this branch. I did this so force the buds to grow on the knuckles as you can see in the picture, this will activate the nodes for a higher success rate for propagation.
Unknown.JPG

Another possible Waa Waa.
unknown 2.JPG

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
Always love the plant pics, has the Alia mutation been consumed yet? Which cultivar was it supposed to be and when can it be known that it is/or isn't definitely a new mutation ?

Nuku Hiva Trading Co. claimed to sell 'awa Mokihana, the rest were common cultivars and "Waeld Koniak". It would be cool if you happened to be sittin' on a Mokihana plant there! ::kavaleaf:: Here's what their old site said about it, sounds like it may have been a DHM heavy Hawai'ian 'awa:
Originally thought to be from Kauai. Mokihana is named after a strong smelling berry. This is a peppery, very aromatic powder with a faint yellow tinge. Not as fast acting as some but maintains a very relaxed, peaceful state over a period of time. This is one of our favorites, the taste is good, the effects most pleasant. Unfortunately, the supply is limited unless we can find a grower with the same high quality.
Doesn't sound like they owned the plant, but perhaps they had some of their own, just for a collection.

Last edited:

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Always love the plant pics, has any one the Alia mutation been consumed yet? Which cultivar was it supposed to be and when can it be known that it is/or isn't definitely a new mutation ?

Nuku Hiva Trading Co. claimed to sell 'awa Mokihana, the rest were common cultivars and "Waeld Koniak". It would be cool if you happened to be sittin' on a Mokihana plant there! ::kavaleaf:: Here's what their old site said about it, sounds like it may have been a DHM heavy Hawai'ian 'awa:

Doesn't sound like they owned the plant, but perhaps they had some of their own, just for a collection.
Mutation from Nene.

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector
Hi everyone, for me kava has a special place in my life, I get to see and experience things with kava that others do not. One of the things is the smell of the growing kava plants on a moist early morning or afternoon. It smells great, hard to describe but certainly addictive. :D
I also like the way the kava looks, all the different colors and differences in the morphology or the looks of the kava plant.
Here are some pictures for you all to enjoy. I hope that you enjoy them as much as I do.
Aloha nui loa.

Chris
This is the Alia mutation, it has a nice green color.
View attachment 8774
This is 'Awa Hiwa, nice and dark.
View attachment 8775
More 'Awa Hiwa.
View attachment 8776
Another 'Awa Hiwa.
View attachment 8777
'Awa Nene.
View attachment 8778
'Awa Mahakea.
View attachment 8779
Another 'Awa Mahakea.
View attachment 8780
'Awa Mapulehu.
View attachment 8781
Papa Ele Ele Puu Puu.
View attachment 8782
View attachment 8783
View attachment 8784
This is an unknown kava, I along with another kava expert think it might be what is called Waa Waa. This is not Hawaiian and was brought here by Nuku Hiva Trading co. Here is a growing tip or secret. Notice I cut the tip of this branch. I did this so force the buds to grow on the knuckles as you can see in the picture, this will activate the nodes for a higher success rate for propagation.
View attachment 8785
Another possible Waa Waa.
View attachment 8786
All fantastic photos Chris. It would be wonderful to link to a farmer in Fiji ( I can name one) to share some of their's too.

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
All fantastic photos Chris. It would be wonderful to link to a farmer in Fiji ( I can name one) to share some of their's too.
Thanks, I am glad you like the photos. I would love to see some pics of the Fiji varieties posted. Maybe your friend can post some. (y)
I will be posting more pictures as I get the time to take more pictures.
Aloha.

Chris

kasa_balavu

Yaqona Dina
Those are some great pics, Chris. Thanks for sharing.

I would love to see some pics of the Fiji varieties posted. Maybe your friend can post some. (y)
*Frantically waves raised hand around in the air*
Ooh oooh pick me! Pick me! I'm a part-time kava farmer!

I'll be heading back to the farm in a week or so and will try and get some close-ups of a few cultivars. Pic below not of my farm. I think it was a Dokobana Loa that I'm holding in that pic, but could also be a Loa Kasa Leka. I'll be back there in a week.

Last edited:

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor

I'll be heading back to the farm in a week or so and will try and get some close-ups of a few cultivars. Pic below not of my farm. I think it was a Dokobana Loa that I'm holding in that pic, but could also be a Loa Kasa Leka. I'll be back there in a week.

You got the job, great picture, those stalks are thick. :eek: Thanks for sharing this picture, I can't wait for more. You know I don't get bored looking at Hawaiian 'Awa, but it is great to see some from Fiji. We need a volunteer to go to Vanuatu to get some good kava pics. @sɥɐʞɐs
Maybe this non paying job would interest you? :woot:
Aloha nui loa.

Chris

Alia

'Awa Grower/Collector

Yes, you were the "I know one" I meant!

verticity

I'm interested in things

Looks like some kind of Vula or Loa Kasa Balavu mutation in that picture also... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.