What's new

Heady kava not working?

N

Noname

Been drinking kava for years and it's always been heavy kavas or half and half kavas but overall all the kavas I've drank have been towards heavy side.few days ago I tried a pure heady kava and it didn't really hit. Is my body like wtf is this and needs to time to understand what's going on? It actually felt like the first time drinking kava few rushes here and there and a feeling that something is gonna happen but nothing does happen. Has this happened to anyone? Do I need to drink it for a few days Ina row to get my body used to heady kavas or what? This was good quality kava.

recentreturn

Kava Enthusiast
hmmm. If you've never drank them, maybe you just don't know what to expect? Heady kava is a slightly strange animal. This is evident from all the discussions where no one can quite agree on what "heady" even means. Some people do mention cultivar to cultivar reverse tolerance (which I find to be an odd notion but...).

sɥɐʞɐs

Avg. Dosage: 8 Tbsp. (58g)
Review Maestro
I think, in some people, variations in our genetics play a role in determining which kavalactones work the best with our bodies, as well as having an effect on how potent kava is to us in general. I, like you, often find largely heady kavas to be mild or somewhat empty...definitely a lesser experience than what is described by people who experience heady kavas easily and with much satisfaction. There have been a few exceptions, with doses large enough, but there have been many where even going up to the 10-12 tbsp was still just 'meh'. Fresh kava, in Vanuatu, was a major exception, I felt strong, clean, headiness from it almost every night.

N

Noname

It's weird because if it's a heady and heavy kava I'll feel the headiness. How come a pure heady doesn't work?