What's new

Heady/uplifting kava

specops

Kava Curious
Hey guys

What would you say, which kava is headier/more uplifting, Puraiki or Paralasul? (The Kava Society)

I recently started drinking kava again. I remember that Moi was my favorite kava, and interestingly I never noticed much of heavier kava's like Nene, don't know why.

Already tried Kelai, liked it so far.

Regards, Michael

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Since Puraiki is harder to get, i would buy that one BUT Palarsul is probably my #1 favourite Kava i would introduce people to kava. It's not only heady but has a multitude of effects. It's leaning heady but is still good for relaxation and mood improvement. The phases of effects you go through are very pronounced. In my mind, it's a very high class Kava for special occasions. Feels like drinking a fine wine.

kw2292

Kava Curious
Great description above. but the Puraiki has less sedation for me. I can easily drink a shell of it first thing in the morning and go about my day. Palarasul for me is far more to the balanced side of the spectrum with really well rounded effects.

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Great description above. but the Puraiki has less sedation for me. I can easily drink a shell of it first thing in the morning and go about my day. Palarasul for me is far more to the balanced side of the spectrum with really well rounded effects.
Yes, palarasul was balanced leaning heady for me too

specops

Kava Curious
Actually I ordered from "Root and Pestle Australia"`, just because Puraiki is not sold out there. Is this not the same kava as "The Kava Society"?

OzKava

The wonderful kava of Oz
Kava Vendor
Australian Importer
Actually I ordered from "Root and Pestle Australia"`, just because Puraiki is not sold out there. Is this not the same kava as "The Kava Society"?
Root & Pestle is a joint venture between Forney Kava Vanuatu and the Kava Society of N.Z. Puariki is only available in small quantities at irregular intervals from both. The Puariki is the same kava from both.

Ozkava

Logos with bowl 02-09-22.png

Last edited:

specops

Kava Curious
The kava arrived today with no problems, thanks! A bit more than a week from Australia to Switzerland.

On the Puraiki package it says "best before 04/26". On the Paralasul package it says "best before 11/23".

Does this mean that this Paralasul kava is a few years old? Does it simply lose a few % of it's potency over the years or is this not a problem at all with if stored well?

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
The kava arrived today with no problems, thanks! A bit more than a week from Australia to Switzerland.

On the Puraiki package it says "best before 04/26". On the Paralasul package it says "best before 11/23".

Does this mean that this Paralasul kava is a few years old? Does it simply lose a few % of it's potency over the years or is this not a problem at all with if stored well?
No, it will be completly fine. Enjoy!

Lenticels

AluNaw

Unfortunately, this may actually have negative implications for your palarasul, i.e., if it has actually been stored for long enough: Duve & Prasad (1983) have found that "powdered root" (likely in the standard lateral/crown root ratio) samples in screw-capped glass bottles stored at room temperature had a loss of anywhere between 26% to 55% of the major constituents between 22 and 39 months.

DHK would appear to be the least stable KL overall, so perhaps you may experience the palarasul you received to be more kavain-oriented/ephemeral/"headier," and less "balanced" overall.

Undoubtedly, these findings aren't perfect, but they do lay down the groundwork that tells us that degradation is very much possible.

Last edited:

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Very interesting as it does not match my experience at all. I've got some 20y old kava left, a heavy one even, and it was still as strong as it was before in terms of effects when i tested it like 5 years ago.

Lenticels

AluNaw
Very interesting as it does not match my experience at all. I've got some 20y old kava left, a heavy one even, and it was still as strong as it was before in terms of effects when i tested it like 5 years ago.
Again, the paper isn't perfect, and I can see, e.g., a certain lumen threshold being exceeded in the environment the glass bottles were stored in, potentially accelerating degradation (although you think that would be controlled for, really).

But to play devil's advocate, you may not realize how much your prep method has changed (i.e., probably improved) since then, you may have consumed it in a better setting, etc.

No shortage of factors, either way...

Last edited:

yiki

Kava Enthusiast
Again, the paper isn't perfect, and I can see, e.g., a certain lumen threshold being exceeded in the environment the glass bottles were stored in, potentially accelerating degradation (although you think that would be controlled for, really).

But to play devil's advocate, you may not realize how much your prep method has changed (i.e., probably improved) since then, you may have consumed it in a better setting, etc.

No shortage of factors, either way...
True, i also strongly believe that kava today is much weaker than it was before that big hurricane which uprooted a lot of old plants.

specops

Kava Curious
My favourite is Puraiki, but both strains (Puraiki and Paralasul) are really great. Sometimes I mix them.

When I was in a clinic for a few weeks, the doctors "prescribed" me the kava (I was honest about consuming it). I don't take any prescibtion drugs regulary. And so I was able to pick up “the strange smelling powder” with a spoon from the people in charge there. That was kinda funny.

Delivery to Switzerland from Kava Society always worked great.

With "Nakamal Nights" I made another try with a heavier kava. Although I slept well, I stick more with the headier kava's as they are more uplifting and still help with sleep.

Last edited: