What's new

Hello Everyone

Butch

Kava Curious
Hi all

I've been lurking on these forums for a few months now (Since around November of last year) and feel like it's time to introduce myself. I'm pretty familiar with most of you already based off the posting history within that time period.

I started using Kava after reading some information from Erowid and other places, and picked up a box of the yogi tea from a local grocery store for $4. In retrospect, the tea was probably all placebo but in any case I pursued the interest and eventually ordered a 1/2 pound bag of boroguru from Bula Kava House. Most of the bag was spent trying to get past reverse tolerance, and I didn't do enough research on the effects prior to buying. From what I understand, it's a heavier Kava (which I can attest to). Later, I bought a 2 pack sample of Ozia's Kava candy, which is amazing. I also recently bought the sample of Kalm with Kava's beverage (not concentrate). I've only been really "krunked" once, and I can't honestly say it was a pleasant experience. I did not enjoy the feeling of not having total control of my muscle movements. So far that's been my Kava experience. I will be reviewing each of the above products shortly.

Since I started with Kava, I realized that I am a stressed person. For me, it was only once the stress was lifted that I understood how heavily it was bearing down. I have found that Kava is an excellent stress buster, and I am grateful to have found it. I've never used alcohol or other substances recreationally. While I hope that people will be more accepting of Kava's relieving properties, most who are familiar with Kava still see it as a bad and liver destroying drug. If wish it were received with as much respect and popularity as caffeine. In any case, for now it seems to be a relatively healthy way to block out anxieties.

I'll end this post with some discussion material. How do you all think we could sway the public opinion to be more accepting and open to Kava? The taste is the worse part, but it isn't something that can't be covered up, as demonstrated by the non-traditional products. Do you all think that Kava could make itself as popular as other drugs? How? If it becomes as popular, would it be banned unnecessarily?

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Welcome to the Kava Forums, @Butch. Tell the rest of the Tunnel Snakes hello for me.

http://tunnelsnakes.com/

Too much kava isn't a great experience, but there's a great zone between just feeling effects and being krunked that's very relaxing, sometimes euphoric, definitely low anxiety and always very peaceful that I've come to rely on. If I push the upper limit of that zone, I get nausea and a "heavy" feeling that I don't like. Except when I do. Even sometimes it's ok.

That said, you've started down a great path with kava, and I think you're on the right track. I can verify that the Yogi Tea *does* have some effect (I drank my first cup and work, and had to go and walk around outside to wake up) and it wasn't very pleasant. Then I moved on to instant and then concentrates and finally struck paydirt while working my way through a bag of N@H's Tongan. From there on, it's been kid-in-a-candy-store mode, when my budget permits, and trying to get a broader understanding of the stuff.

Some types make me more sleepy, some more excited, some even giddy and pink-cheeked with anticipation, some mellow and equivocal, and so forth. All of it anti-anxiety and de-stressing in ways I didn't think possible. There's a wide field of plant cultivars, growing conditions, chemotypes, preparation types, etc. Truly a great landscape for experimentation and honing your taste for it.

For your next foray into kava, you may wish to try some of Gourmet Hawaiian Kava's Micronized Mo'i, or even the Medium Grind version of that root if you're already set up for kneading. That's one data point I think every new kava drinker should have once they've passed reverse tolerance. I can also strongly recommend Kalm's Borongoru and Pouni Ono for medium grind kava.

Again, welcome to the forums. Glad to have you, and I can assure you that if you're patient and pay attention, there's a lot of quality of life to be gained by staying with kava for a while.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Oh, and to your second point, I think the kava wave is already starting to crash. People are becoming aware of it. There's a "trendy" factor to it that's starting to develop. I seriously hope that the 20-something generation takes this drink and integrates it into American culture and changes our Budweiser culture for the better.

Butch

Kava Curious
Thanks for the warm welcome @Steve Mariotti. I really do appreciate it.

GHK's Micronized Mo'i is going to be my next big purchase, but I can't afford it right now.

Unless one has already been done, we should do a survey on the site to see what demographics Kava is appealing to. If it seems to be a fairly specific group, we could discuss how to accurately target others from that same demographic. If it's broader, we might need multiple approaches to increase awareness.

Kava is a cause I think most members here are willing to actually work towards, and it's really up to us to do it.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Welcome aboard, Butch!

Unless one has already been done, we should do a survey on the site to see what demographics Kava is appealing to. If it seems to be a fairly specific group, we could discuss how to accurately target others from that same demographic. If it's broader, we might need multiple approaches to increase awareness.
I did one last year, and I'm going to do one again this year when I get round to it. The last one had age & gender only, but feel free to suggest more options here: http://kavaforums.com/forum/threads/kava-census-2-brainstorming.4492/