What's new

Hello from the Deep South (U.S.)

Huebras

Kava Newbie
Hello Y'all,

I'm very new to kava and found this forum about a week ago doing some desktop research on the subject. After reading much of what this great site and wonderful contributors have created here I decided to sign up. First, I'd like to introduce myself and give you all a little background. My friends and family call me Jay and I am from Louisiana (U.S.). I heard about kava and it's benefits on a podcast and immediately started researching it and looking for a supplier because of all the positive effects it was reported to induce. Most of all the sociability aspect. I am naturally a shy and introverted person who is VERY awkward around new people who longs to be comfortable in social situations. Secondly, I read that kava can help wean people off of alcohol and can be a great alternative because of the retention of cognitive abilities and lack of a "hangover". I like to drink a few beers (3-6) in the evening on more days than not and it has taken it's toll, mentally, socially, and physically.

I received my first kava product, in the form of powder, almost a month ago and began my journey. Because of my research, I wasn't surprised that my first drink didn't produce any effects due to RT but I kept at it drinking at least one a day of the powdered kava until I read a review on this site about an instant kava that the reviewer said was really strong and mild tasting (the powder wasn't too bad but wasn't tasty by any stretch) so I switched a few days ago. I still haven't felt any effects from either. Does anyone know of any reports of people that are just plain immune, for lack of a better word, to kava? Could I just be doing it wrong? I'm drinking both the powder and instant un-strained so I wouldn't think so.

With all of that being said, I am excited to be a part of this community (and hopefully contributing part in the future). Thanks for any and all replies.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
Welcome aboard, Jay! I have yet to meet someone who keeps trying and does not get effects. There is some research to suggest that some people may be "genetic" hardheads, but it is also often an issue of quality, dose, or preparation. So...keep trying.

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome @Huebras!! I am also from the south, but not as deep as you. Hail, from Arkansas! I also was a 3-6 beers an evening kinda guy. But since I have been using kava, I havent had a single drink, nor the desire too drink. The craving went away. How do you prepare your kava?

Huebras

Kava Newbie
Thank you all for replying. It is a true pleasure to make your acquaintance. Shakas, my first drink I mixed very light, one teaspoon in six ounces of water, bc I was unsure of how it would affect me but soon upped the mixture and now taking three heaping tablespoons in 6-8 ounces of water (I sometimes add milk) and chug it down faster than a frat boy shotgunning a beer. The past week, I've consumed at least three drinks a day in this fashion and have only gotten an upset stomach. Oh, and yes, that would be an upset, empty stomach.

Kavadude, my genetics have granted me high tolerances for pain, annoying people, alcohol, and now it appears kava. I think you may be right.

To my dear neighbor from north of the border, I love Arkansas. Beautiful state and wonderful people. For the powder, I usually just add it to the water in a protein drink shaker, shake it harder than Richard Simmons sweating to the oldies, let it sit for ten minutes, then chug.

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. I feel now that I may just be being impatient. I vow to chug on (pun intended) and keep you all informed. Thanks again!

Jay

wanderingwoodsmith

Kava Enthusiast
Try out some Squanch Kava if you get the chance to buy some. It doesnt come in instant(yet ;)) but 2.5 tbps of med grind got me pretty krunk for a couple hours, on an empty stomach. What setting are you taking your kava? In the wrong setting it could be hard to notice the effects.

nathaniel.adkisson

Kava Enthusiast
Thank you all for replying. It is a true pleasure to make your acquaintance. Shakas, my first drink I mixed very light, one teaspoon in six ounces of water, bc I was unsure of how it would affect me but soon upped the mixture and now taking three heaping tablespoons in 6-8 ounces of water (I sometimes add milk) and chug it down faster than a frat boy shotgunning a beer. The past week, I've consumed at least three drinks a day in this fashion and have only gotten an upset stomach. Oh, and yes, that would be an upset, empty stomach.

Kavadude, my genetics have granted me high tolerances for pain, annoying people, alcohol, and now it appears kava. I think you may be right.

To my dear neighbor from north of the border, I love Arkansas. Beautiful state and wonderful people. For the powder, I usually just add it to the water in a protein drink shaker, shake it harder than Richard Simmons sweating to the oldies, let it sit for ten minutes, then chug.

Thank you all for the thoughtful replies. I feel now that I may just be being impatient. I vow to chug on (pun intended) and keep you all informed. Thanks again!

Jay
Hey brother I'm from Texas orginally. Welcome!!! I also had a pretty mean RT it took me like 2 weeks to get over mine but when it hit me finally man oh man it was wicked and I too am a very large man with very high tolerances to things. Keep it up and try doubling up on your doses and see what happens.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

Huebras

Kava Newbie
@wanderingwoodsmith I usually drink my grog sitting on a wicker chair by my luxurious pool, being fanned by a beautiful Polynesian woman. Well, in my mind anyway, in reality I'm usually sitting at my desk at work, reading this forum, and wishing that the kava would kick in. Nothing stressful.

@nathaniel.adkisson Texas is in my top 50 favorite states! Just kidding, I love Texas and spend a lot of time there. In fact, I had my bachelor party weekend out on Lake Livingston many moons ago. Beautiful.

I'm drinking so much kava right now that I'm afraid I'll start sprouting roots.... When I first started I didn't feel anything at all and now it seems I just get tired and a little queasy.

Zac Imiola (Herbalist)

Kava Connoisseur
That's good though.. you can prolly dial it back a little to just a good couple teaspoons throughout the day every day, if you are going hard. It will keep getting more and more "noticeable" even people who feel it right away it takes time to build to what it really can and is.... one of these times your gonna drink 2 tablespoons of instant and be too krunk to work for a little bit ! Haha I'm excited for that day and want to hear about it ;) Goodluck buddy we know you'll benefit from kava the way we all have.
I think social anxiety is one of the biggest causes of alot of drug use, alot of people like certain other aspects but most of the time it's a sense that the drug allows you to "be yourself " whether its more confidence or a disinhibition of what you want to say, so on. The problem is they loosen you up , but then typically take YOU away! Haha
Kava is the solution to this. Absolutley . Keep going . Eventually you may not need kava for social situations but you may just keep drinking cause its fun and enjoyable (where I'm at now that my panic attacks are gone ;) thanks to kava and the now)

Huebras

Kava Newbie
Thanks @Mrbinx69 I need all the reassurance I can get right now, in two days it will make a month since my first kava drink. Granted the first few days were just Yogi Kava Tea, but none the less. I have about half of the 0.5 lb bag of instant left and plan on fixing a few drinks a day until it is gone then I'll have to make a decision whether to by more. Any suggestions as to exactly how much and how often to help get me over this hurdle?

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
@Huebras With instants or micronized, I start with a tablespoon and move up in tablespoon increments. A tablespoon for me is sort of like a "threshold" dose, just enough to feel a little. I consider two tablespoons a good dose to take at once (I am also a hardhead).

Reading your other post, I would strongly recommend against consuming kava and alcohol on the same day.

Huebras

Kava Newbie
@kavadude thanks for the reply and recommendations. I'm going to cut out the beer and try upping kava intake to see what happens. I'll keep everyone updated. Thanks again.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Hello Y'all,
Howdy!
I am naturally a shy and introverted person who is VERY awkward around new people who longs to be comfortable in social situations. Secondly, I read that kava can help wean people off of alcohol and can be a great alternative because of the retention of cognitive abilities and lack of a "hangover". I like to drink a few beers (3-6) in the evening on more days than not and it has taken it's toll, mentally, socially, and physically.
Same here. And kava is great for sociability. It makes me want to be more social. And here's the kicker: I remember people's names in social situations when I'm drinking kava. I normally am too anxious and head-spinny trying to socialize that I forget names instantly. With kava I'm more comfortable being interested and asking questions and being lighthearted with people. Total win for social anxiety. I'm a True Believer.

Does anyone know of any reports of people that are just plain immune, for lack of a better word, to kava? Could I just be doing it wrong? I'm drinking both the powder and instant un-strained so I wouldn't think so.
HAHAHAHA!! Yeah, no shit, right? I drank that godawful dirty water for two weeks before I got through RT. I had that exact same thought. "Hmm... maybe it doesn't work for my particular body chemistry." WRONG. Just hang in there.

And welcome to the Kava Forums! I'm happy to see you've discovered kava and you've definitely come to the right place to learn about it. Please keep us posted on your experiences with it!

Huebras

Kava Newbie
@Steve Mariotti Pleased to make your acquaintance. Thanks for the reply. I'm really loving the forum and learning a lot. It seems to me that kava drinkers are some of the most helpful, selfless, intellectual, and interesting people I have met! I'm just wishing my RT would let up, its been a month now... but I'm not giving up! I just ordered some more and am expecting it in a few days (I went through 0.5 lbs of instant in less than 7 days). Wish me luck.

Huebras

Kava Newbie
Well, I'm sold so far. I definitely had my first kava experience and it was kind of what I expected thanks to this forum but will take some getting used to. I'll explain. I've been refining my prep technique with the powder due to the fact that the last time I drank it without straining, it tore up my stomach. Pain and violent diarrhea. And violent diarrhea is an understatement, it was more like a colon hate crime. Anyway, I've been using an old metal coffee filter (the one that comes with every new pot that no one uses). It seems to work well but you need to stir a lot to get the goodness through. I fixed a few shells (I finally feel worthy of using this term now) throughout the day using a half a cup of powder and washing twice. I know see what everyone is talking about with washing until you get the good stuff out. After the first wash my Javeler looks like pudding and after the second, it resembles coffee grinds. I fixed a shell right before 5pm, not really expecting much as usual. Then, low and behold, about ten minutes later it hit. I was buzzing. It wasn't really euphoric but nice none the less.

Oh and church was wonderful. I usually get aggravated when my two year old's antics during the service but last night I just thought she was hilarious and kept giving her hugs. My wife probably thought I was losing it.

Thanks to everyone. I really appreciate everything and look forward to sharing more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Huebras

Kava Newbie
All,

I realized after posting yesterday that I had stated that my first kava experience was kind of what I expected and that I would explain. Well, I don't think I did very well so here goes. I'd also like to get your opinions on my second experience yesterday.

I think that I was just so happy to feel any effect that I failed to mention the "quality" of the effect. It started out like a nice beer buzz, no euphoria though, then turned into a little of a "bad" buzz like when you drink too much alcohol towards the end, but being totally aware of it and actually caring. Last nights effect was the same but worse and start almost immediately. Not a pleasant experience. I'm thinking that I drank too much. I am definitely a hardhead. I'm still experimenting with dosages so I started out yesterday morning with two tablespoons in the am, no effect. The a few hours later upped it to four, still no effect. Then at 5, I upped it to 5 with no effect so at 5:30 I drank another 5 before it hit me. I'm drinking Kava King instant Vanuatu blend which got good reviews here so I don't think I'm drinking bad kava. Any ideas? Oh, and and I'm definitely not feeling 100% this am despite drinking water all day yesterday. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk