What's new

Help with REM sleep disorder

Status
Not open for further replies.

schatz

itchin for kava
To make a long story short I was diag with early parkinsons at the Mayo clinic last summer. And yesterday went to a neurologist here in town and now he wants to change diagnoses to lewy body and he wants to do a DAT scan. Meanwhile he is prescribing Clonezapn, this is for my REM sleep disorder and it sound like it comes with some really nasty side effects that I already have. Can anybody recommend something different, as I am not on any other prescriptions at all so far and would like to keep it that way as long as possible. I get to sleep with kava no problem but for some reason I act out my dreams and move all night long and probably have not really slept in a couple years. And by the way, I think this clonezapan works on the gaba system so maybe taking straight GABA from Bulk suppliments might help. Let me know if anybody has any ideas, much appreciated, thanks.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
Pure GABA isn't effective at crossing the BBB. That's why drugs like gabapentin, baclofen (very similar to phenibut) and benzos/Z drugs are prescribed. They are either able to deliver the GABA or increase the efficiency of your brains existing GABA supply. There is a natural product called "pharma gaba" that claims to be special and able to cross the BBB but even if it could, it would not be anywhere near as potent as a pharmaceutical chemical or even alcohol. Clonazepam is a long acting benzo, so it comes with all the normal cautions. In my experience -- which is fairly extensive, it is the most gentle feeling benzo. Is the doctor wanting you to take it daily? What dosage?

Intrepidus_dux

Kava O.G.
Hmmmmm I’m not sure.
The gaba theory makes sense because I personally do better on meds and supplements that help those receptors.

Some people have big problems with benzos like clonzapam, but I have to say, I never did have an issue with them. I took them for years and when it was time to stop, I just did. It wasn’t a big thing for me. Everyone is different of course.

I’m not knowledgeable with your particular health problems, but would gabapentin help at night to knock you out enough to not sleep walk?

If you do the gaba supplements, pkease just research carefully. Also no harm in trying the med your doctor gave you once or twice and just see if you like it. Another med that used to help me is a low dose blood pressure med called prosasin. It treats ptsd nightmares and kept me more still in the night.

SelfBiasResistor

Persist for Resistance!
@SelfBiasResistor , I really like baclofen for my muscle spasms. Only use it on occasion. Had no idea it was related to gaba stuff. I learn something new everyday.
I use it occasionally, it doesn't have the side effects of some of the other muscle relaxants I've tried. I don't normally use it unless my herbs aren't able to get the job done, though.

It mainly attaches to the GABA B receptors, so it doesn't really have the same feel as most GABA drugs.

schatz

itchin for kava
Thank you for the reply Self bias and Intrepidus I forgot that I even posted this. I think I will look on Amazon and give the suggestion of Pharma mGabba a go. I hate to take something that will give me 20 or so side effects that I am already getting to stop one. And I still have my brain and open minded to any suggestions even faith healing, there is a lot to be said for placebo reactions. And maybe will have to look into the Gabepentin also, Thanks guys and lovin my kava still and don't know what I would do without it, at least I found kava late in my life and not at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.