What's new

Hi all

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
I'm brand new to kava and am still suffering from RT but I'm dedicated :)
I've had a few tastes of what it can be like but yet to break through.
Looking forward to it though.
So glad to have found this site, all the vendors I've bought from have been class acts,

That's a kewl avatar picture you got there. You took it yourself?

VivaKava

Kava Curious
Oh currentbun, the acclimation process is thoroughly enjoyable.
Had the day off work and made serious headway with instants from GHK and KK.
The search for the elusive krunk is a wonderful hobby. :):):)

VivaKava

Kava Curious
So after my first week of kava enlightenment I've very happily gone from a work hard, play hard booze drinker to a work hard, "take my relaxation seriously" kava drinker and I feel all the better for it.
The best part is I feel the journey has only just begun.:):):)
RT must make this an insanely difficult industry to take on. A week ago even two tablespoons of Gourmet Hawaiian Kavas instant was doing very little. Now a teaspoon is euphoric bliss.
It must be horrible to sell to someone and get complaints that it doesn't work. The only thing they can say is "yeah, that's normal, you just have to buy lots more".
Plus, from what I've read it takes 5 years to grow. Not an easy business at all.
I appreciate all your hard work in the face of adversity chaps.
Very much.

Ligermeat

Warm and Fuzzeh!
So after my first week of kava enlightenment I've very happily gone from a work hard, play hard booze drinker to a work hard, "take my relaxation seriously" kava drinker and I feel all the better for it.
The best part is I feel the journey has only just begun.:):):)
RT must make this an insanely difficult industry to take on. A week ago even two tablespoons of Gourmet Hawaiian Kavas instant was doing very little. Now a teaspoon is euphoric bliss.
It must be horrible to sell to someone and get complaints that it doesn't work. The only thing they can say is "yeah, that's normal, you just have to buy lots more".
Plus, from what I've read it takes 5 years to grow. Not an easy business at all.
I appreciate all your hard work in the face of adversity chaps.
Very much.
So true. I didn't believe in RT before, but now im starting to change my viewpoint on it. What puzzles me though is that there is no record of RT in ancient pacific culture.

On another note, according to kava.com :facepalm:, some farmers harvest their krops after a year and a half. I guess the drawback with that is slightly lower kavalactone content and less yield. Can @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava back me up on this?

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
So true. I didn't believe in RT before, but now im starting to change my viewpoint on it. What puzzles me though is that there is no record of RT in ancient pacific culture.

On another note, according to kava.com :facepalm:, some farmers harvest their krops after a year and a half. I guess the drawback with that is slightly lower kavalactone content and less yield. Can @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava back me up on this?
Yes it is true that at a year and a half you will get kava that is less in kavalactones and less yield, these pictures will help you understand it.
The first picture is a kava plant I harvested just to show you what it looks like at almost 1 year old---

You can see the small whitish roots, they are supposed to be larger and yellow and you can see in the picture the stalks are not as mature as they can be and the stump or corm is very small. Also note the small new stalks, this comes from the stump and this part of the stump is low in kavalactones because of it's young age compared to the rest of the plant.

This next picture is a mature kava plant.

You can see how mature the stalks are and all of the mature lateral roots and also the size of the plant is more, so yes a 4 or 5 year old kava plant is better than a year and a half like kava.com says. I wonder if that shows that they (Kona kava farm) actually do not have a kava farm and that kava.com does not grow their own kava, this kind of stuff is basic to kava growers. (y)
Aloha.

Chris

D

Deleted User01

Welcome to the forum. In my opinion, RT seems to be dependent on you own body chemistry or chemotype if you will.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
I was running a kava circle at a party with old friends I hadn't seen in a long time. Everyone there felt the calming effects at least and some got pretty twisted up tight, but we drank A LOT of kava last night. The cool things was I saw long time beer drinkers just nursing one beer like to use it as a chaser and not slamming beers like they usually wood. The kava gave them the glow they were looking for and they were more interested in being social and chit chatting the night away and drinking shell after shell of course. I totally see the social communal aspect of kava now. It was a blast showing them how to knead with a nut milk bag, how to use an aluball, and just talking kava as they were really interested. My friend who threw the party was blown away because drinking kava was on his bucket list but he thought you had to be on vacation on the islands to drink it. I probably hadn't seen in him three years and I walk in with my kava gear and he hugs me and says what is that, I say Kava, his smile grew ear to ear, and he said of course out of anybody you would show after a long absence and bring kava to my house, epic.

D

Deleted User01

@Squanch72, great post and it bodes well for the future of kava ... one shell at a time. You get 3 guys interested, they get three more guys, 2 guys move to another city, they get it going there and so on. Kava is not an overnight sensation but it will win the race like the turtoise. FYI, I know a lot of guys that prefer kava over weed for many reasons: Weed too strong, drug testing, can't work stoned, and the list goes on. Kava is just the right amount of "stoned" in my opinion and just enough to make your day better and help you sleep better and without impairing your 5 senses.

Squanch72

Kava Vendor
@Squanch72, great post and it bodes well for the future of kava ... one shell at a time. You get 3 guys interested, they get three more guys, 2 guys move to another city, they get it going there and so on. Kava is not an overnight sensation but it will win the race like the turtoise. FYI, I know a lot of guys that prefer kava over weed for many reasons: Weed too strong, drug testing, can't work stoned, and the list goes on. Kava is just the right amount of "stoned" in my opinion and just enough to make your day better and help you sleep better and without impairing your 5 senses.
I fall in the category of I have nothing against weed but it too often caused anxiety instead of chill in me, plus yeah drug tests and all that jazz. That is why kava is my perfect medicine and my perfect recreation juice. It felt awesome when my friend grabbed my label and stuck in on his bass guitar case and another musician friend took one and other friends wanted a label. Not in an advertising my root but advertising kava in general. My hippy friends even brought up an idea I had in the back of my mind for a while. They said why don't you make like a traveling kava cart for music festivals and farmers markets. Yes the word is getting out there in my neck of the woods at least. It was a true pleasure manning my kava station and handing shells to old friends. Most drank it straight, for the ladies I either squirted a little key lime juice or some liquid concentrate orange Tang in the shell and stirred it up. Just one of those great nights surrounded by good people, good music, and lots and lots of kava.

VivaKava

Kava Curious
@Squanch, no no, keep hijacking I'm loving it.
@Chris, great pics and info, thank you.
@Deleted User01 my RT seems to be at an end but with the quality of kava available in these parts that's hardly surprising.
You're next Squanch, can't wait to inhale the smell of a big bag of yours.
What a great website this is :):):):):):):):):):):)