What's new

HI!! I have no idea what I'm doing!!!

CaliRobK

Kava Curious
Hello.
First of thank you to all for contributing to this forum so that noobs, such as myself, have a place to start learning about kava. I recently took an interest in kava at the hint of a friend who suggested it may help with some of my tension/anxiety. I am a recovering alcoholic so the traditional drink after work or doc prescribed pill isn't an option.
As the title of this thread suggests I have no idea what I am doing. I have done a fair amount of research over the last week or so but would love the input of some experienced people.
When I first heard of kava I jumped the gun and ordered the first thing that I read was good, 50 grams of GHK instant moi. While awaiting it's arrival I read about the reverse tolerance. I still have the moi unopened and was wondering if it would be best for me to start with something a little cheaper to break through the RT and then use the moi when I will be able to actually enjoy it. If that is the case where would be a good place to start. I apologize if this is a frequently asked question and thank anyone who takes the time to help in advance.

Naijomii

Kava Curious
Hi and Welcome,
I'm new myself and don't have a proper answer for you but wanted to say hello. There are a lot of great people here with some super information. I love just surfing the boards and reading the reviews and other posts and such. I'm sure you'll find your answers here :)

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
Welcome! Glad to have you with us.

You've definitely gotten off on the right foot. Gourmet Hawaiian Kava's products are stellar, and your choice of Moi is also perfect.
In regards to reverse tolerance, you may or may not be affected by it. What I would do is throw two tablespoons of instant in a cup of water, and chug it down! You'll know within 10-15 minutes whether you're one of the people who can feel it out of the gate. My wife is actually one of those people who felt it on her first try (I'll be honest, I was a little envious). It took me about a month of drinking kava to finally break through, but as it's turning out that may actually be less common than feeling it first off.

Stick around, ask questions, get involved. We're a huge community of very caring kava lovers.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Woop woop. Recovery!

Welcome to the team.

It's a tough call on the RT issue. To moi or not to moi. I personally can't leave moi unused. I love it to much.

I used cheapo Amazon stuff before I learned of its potentially hazardous nature. You can try @KavaBoy Hawaii for some inexpensive but high quality root!

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
Welcome to the tribe. ::happyshell::

I agree with Kap. Give it a taste test. You made a really good first buy. If it doesn't work for you the first time then perhaps get a 1/4 bag of some regular kava root. Takes some prep but it's easy enough. Go through that 1/4 bag and see how it goes.

Poivrier

methystified
I still have the moi unopened and was wondering if it would be best for me to start with something a little cheaper to break through the RT and then use the moi when I will be able to actually enjoy it.
Good thinking !
I second Blindy107 recommendation: Kavaboy is a good kava and inexpensive. I would save the Mo'i for later.
I remember my first time drinking kava: I "felt" it right away: a kind of relaxing "drunkness", numbing and diuretic effects...but it took me one month to finally be able to feel the real deep "heady" effects of kava. I think that maybe the more body oriented kavalactones are more easily felt for beginners and that is why, in my opinion, a strictly heady kava as Mo'i is not the best choice for the first shells...but It should bring good luck anyway ! (y)
On another hand, when the reverse tolerance is gone, what better kava than Mo'i to greet the newcomer ? ::happyshell::

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Welcome to the forums, @CaliRobK! You've come to the right place.

I can't tell you how gratifying it is to read a New Members post where you bought something I'd buy myself, rather than some off-brand Amazon kava, some Koniak or 11-year Waka or something of that ilk. As others have said, you've taken a great first step. I strongly believe that continued experimentation and optimization of your kava consumption will provide a satisfying and superior substitute to alcohol for your evenings. Again, the right step.

Mo'i instant is indeed something special. A pound of KavaBoy is a great way to get over RT. Also, people have had good luck with the Gaia capsules for that purpose. Really you want to get through RT by hook or by crook, and save the exceptional kava for once you're able to appreciate the full rainbow of effects that kava has to offer. That said, if the financial hit of drinking instant isn't something that you balk at, going through your Mo'i instant as a first step is just fine. I drank Paradise Kava's "Cream of Vanuatu" instant for my first instant, and I can tell you that it was a formative experience that I don't regret. GHK's instants taste WAY better than that stuff, too, so you won't have the same shock to the tastebuds I had.

Glad to have you here on the forums, and please keep us apprised as to your successes and failures as you work through your RT. You're in for some really great things if you keep with it. With quality kava---as provided by any of the vendors that have a subforum here---you really can't go wrong.

Last edited:

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
@CaliRobK
WELCOME!!
::hugsmiley::

You don't know if you have RT until try it. Use some of that moi (my favorite) and if it's digging too deep into your pocketbook, then try something less expensive. Just remember you usually get what you pay for. So stick with the good kava if you can.

Regards

CaliRobK

Kava Curious
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone! I will give the mo'i a shot tomorrow and let you know how it turns out.

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
I can't tell you how gratifying it is to read a New Members post where you bought something I'd buy myself, rather than some off-brand Amazon kava, some Koniak or 11-year Waka or something of that ilk.
Ouch! 11 year is one of my most favorite kavas, and I personally have had no issues with it being tudei-ish at all.

@CaliRobK Just a few quick tips:
1) Kava is meant to be chugged, not sipped. Do ~4oz shots a time. If you do more, well... you'll know what I'm getting at when you try it.
2) Exhale entirely, hold your breath, and chug. Then use a chaser (milk or juice or fruit or something), and then go ahead and inhale.

I don't mean to scare you, but the taste is horrendous, and I wish someone told me how to actually drink kava without feeling nauseous every time I had a shell. Normally, I'll have ~4-5 4oz shells for a single night. So if you don't feel the effects of Mo'i after your initial shell, try the same dose 20 minutes after your took your first and see how it works out.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Vekta

Notorious Lightweight
Review Maestro
I like to have about half my kava before eating, eat and then have the rest.

Sometimes I have the kava with the food depending on what it is.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Yeah stomach contents really add to the finickiness of kava. For me at least. As @HeadHodge mentioned work on spacing shells out 15-25 minutes. When my wife first started she would NOT listen to me about that small trick and would occasionally wind up crawling around the house for safety. She has since start spacing and we go through less grog! Miracle!

verticity

I'm interested in things
Also skip the caffeine beforehand as well as it does seem to make it less effective ( From what I have read here on the forums)
For me, I don't know if caffeine makes it less effective, but the kava does seem to potentiate the anxiolytic effect of the caffeine, which is kind of unpleasant.