What's new

HI!! I have no idea what I'm doing!!!

CaliRobK

Kava Curious
So, I finally got around to finding a time when I had an empty stomach and I gave it a shot.... I definitely have RT. I drank a total of 4 tbsp in two shells. Taste wasn't really too bad but I held my breath, chugged, then chased it. I think I'm gonna buy some cheaper stuff to get through this RT, but in the meantime I will use the mo'i at a few tbsp per evening just to keep things moving along.

A local health food store carries kava king vanilla shake mix, would that be a good one for breaking through the RT? They also have a kava tincture and chocolate bars.

Steve Mariotti

Kavapithecus Krunkarensis
Review Maestro
Yeah, the Kava King would be great for that. It's micronized kava and other ingredients sold as instant. I drank a bunch of it one day and it was very effective, and wasn't too terribly hard on my incredibly sensitive alimentary canal. I can tell the difference between 25 micron strained medium grind and 55 micron strained medium grind. Or rather, it tells ME the difference.

I wouldn't go for the tincture. The chocolate bars are good, but not as strong as the Kava King stuff, and not the same as the whole root with the whole spectrum of crazy lactones.

I'd also suggest a pound of KavaBoy. You can order through the forums store, even. It's a Tongan kava, so it's balanced heady/body with more heady than body. It's Mo'i-like in some ways, and Pouni Ono-like in some ways, though lacks the latter's potency. It's the real article, and it's nice and clean and mild tasting.

CaliRobK

Kava Curious
Gulped down 2 tbsp of kava king last night. Once again taste was not unbearable, but definitely not good. I thought the vanilla was available however it's only the unflavored. I wanna say that I felt some very mild relaxation although it could have just as easily been a placebo effect. I keep hearing that when it works I will know.

Would you guys recommend I drink several shells a day, or if one doesn't do it should I not bother until it does?

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
Based on my experience and what I've read on here, it seems you've got some pre-determined barrier to overcome, so the more kava you consume, the closer to clearing that barrier you are. That said, large amounts can still have some sedating effects, cause nausea and digestive upset even if you're not getting the real kava effect. Once you're past reverse tolerance (and yes, you'll know) it would be good to re-evaluate your dose level and start again at a couple tbsp per night. Until that point, just take what you're comfortable with and listen to your body. The more the better, but within limits that only your knowledge of your body can provide.

Runding

Kava Enthusiast
Gulped down 2 tbsp of kava king last night. Once again taste was not unbearable, but definitely not good. I thought the vanilla was available however it's only the unflavored. I wanna say that I felt some very mild relaxation although it could have just as easily been a placebo effect. I keep hearing that when it works I will know.

Would you guys recommend I drink several shells a day, or if one doesn't do it should I not bother until it does?
Drink as much as you would like. 4 shells a night is pretty normal for me. If you want to get over RT quicker, the more shells the better -- just don't get nauseous from drinking too much :)

TheKavaSociety

New Zealand
Kava Vendor
@CaliRobK mate, it's important that you drink your kava in the right kind of setting. It's a very unique substance and you need to learn to "listen to it". I personally didn't experience the RT and most of the current members of my society could feel kava effects the first time they tried. You just have to create a peaceful space for yourself, get some relaxing music, find a nice book. Fast for at least four hours and then prepare some hot, caffeine-free tea (rooibos chai or peppermint work great). Hot tea after kava will increase its potency. Prepare 300-500ml of strong kava. Get one shell, drink it quickly and then have some of the tea and maybe a pineapple slice as a chaser. Wait for 15 mins, relax. You can sip your tea while waiting for another shell. Take another shell and have some more tea. I guarantee that as long as your kava is of high quality (and in America you cannot get higher quality than @Gourmet Hawaiian Kava or @Kalm with Kava ), you will feel and enjoy it. Just remember that different people need different amounts of kava to feel it. If, let's say, 20g of Mo'i doesn't work, try 30g.

CaliRobK

Kava Curious
So after reading these responses I rid my mind of the idea that I HAD to have RT. I drank my kava in a more relaxing setting and on a very empty stomach. There was some slight nausea like the previous time, but I definently felt much more calm and relaxed. I also had some of the best sleep I've had in a while.

I think I will try the mo'i again tonight under similar circumstances and see how that goes.

Is the nausea aspect user specific or do the "lesser quality", cheaper kavas tend to be associated with more nausea?

Steve Mariotti

Review Maestro
So after reading these responses I rid my mind of the idea that I HAD to have RT. I drank my kava in a more relaxing setting and on a very empty stomach. There was some slight nausea like the previous time, but I definently felt much more calm and relaxed. I also had some of the best sleep I've had in a while.

I think I will try the mo'i again tonight under similar circumstances and see how that goes.

Is the nausea aspect user specific or do the "lesser quality", cheaper kavas tend to be associated with more nausea?
Nausea seems related to two things for me:

1) The strength of the kava I'm drinking
2) The RATE at which I'm drinking.

With 4-6oz "shells" at 20 minute intervals I never get nausea any more, no matter what variety. With weaker kava, I can drink at 15 or even 10 minute intervals and not feel nauseated. Also, micronized creates more nausea for me, even at longer intervals. I think it really boils down to the rate at which you're introducing kavalactones to your digestive system.

The stomach is pretty amazing. It's basically the "brain" of the digestive tract. It takes 30 minutes to process what it's given before moving it into the small intestine. During that time, it performs a complex analysis of what it contains and runs one of a couple dozen different digestive "programs" in your enteric nervous system. Constipation and diarrhea occur when the wrong program runs. Gas occurs when undigested material gets to the large intestine where bacteria break it down and release gas as they do. If your stomach figures out the right program, all is well.

Kava is mildly anesthetic, and I wonder if that aspect of it makes the stomach a little confused when it's inundated with it.

verticity

I'm interested in things
Nausea seems related to two things for me:

1) The strength of the kava I'm drinking
2) The RATE at which I'm drinking.

With 4-6oz "shells" at 20 minute intervals I never get nausea any more, no matter what variety. With weaker kava, I can drink at 15 or even 10 minute intervals and not feel nauseated. Also, micronized creates more nausea for me, even at longer intervals. I think it really boils down to the rate at which you're introducing kavalactones to your digestive system.

The stomach is pretty amazing. It's basically the "brain" of the digestive tract. It takes 30 minutes to process what it's given before moving it into the small intestine. During that time, it performs a complex analysis of what it contains and runs one of a couple dozen different digestive "programs" in your enteric nervous system. Constipation and diarrhea occur when the wrong program runs. Gas occurs when undigested material gets to the large intestine where bacteria break it down and release gas as they do. If your stomach figures out the right program, all is well.

Kava is mildly anesthetic, and I wonder if that aspect of it makes the stomach a little confused when it's inundated with it.
I would add to this the degree of filtering. Toss and washing is more likely to cause nausea than double layered nylons, or a 25 micron bag. (Gassiness as well)

CaliRobK

Kava Curious
So, I placed an order for some GHK papa Kea micro yesterday. I am looking for something relaxing and sedating for after work and/or workouts. Does the papa Kea fit the bill or would it be wise to go another route? I realize that this is a question best aked prior to placing an order but I figure I will use the papa Kea eventually so if need be I will order a different variety. What would you guys reccomend?