What's new

Hi, just had my first "shell" of Kava at home

Live2Ski

Been lurking for a week or so. Placed an order from GHK, Sunday, got 1/2lb of Micro Mo'i today.
Just mixed 2 tbsp into 12ozs water. Downed about half 20 minutes ago, about to go finish it off.

My experience with kava previously was at the two Kava lounges in North Carolina. A few visits to each. Pretty well spread out, so I don't know,if RT is still an issue for me. I've never been "shelled" I know that. I've also taken the Gaia capsules several Times over the last two weeks.

Right now, I feel pretty good, and relaxed. Gonna go finish this batch off and will come back to give a little more info on my interest in Kava.

bula!

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
Been lurking for ga week or so. Placed an order from GHK, Sunday, got 1/2lb of Micro Mo'i today.
Just mixed 2 tbsp into 12ozs water. Downed about half 20 minutes ago, about to go finish it off.

My experience with kava previously was at the two Kava lounges in North Carolina. A few visits to each. Pretty well spread out, so I don't know,if RT is still an issue for me. I've never been "shelled" I know that. I've also taken the Gaia capsules several Times over the last two weeks.

Right now, I feel pretty good, and relaxed. Gonna go finish this batch off and will come back to give a little more info on my interest in Kava.

bula!
Cool. So what are the NC joints like? Asheville?

Live2Ski

Thanks Kimmer.

Just finished 3rd shell with one left in my GNC shaker. If I get to that one, it will be my last of the night.

About my interest in Kava. As I mentioned my only previous experience was at 2 kava bars in NC. The first time was in Wilmington. I was staying in a hotel across the street, and was curious. I have a friend that's been to the South Pacific and experienced the Nakamals, so I had heard a little bit about kava. So one night I venture in. Strange little place. Tiki'esque, with TVs under the glass covered bar playing scenes from Planet Earth. I end up having several shells a few nights in a row. This place also serves another K plant. And I've had that as well at times. I like it, but it tends to have some negative side effects, so I want to reserve using it for when I really need it for health reasons.
The other Kava bar I visited was in Asheville, NC. It's a bit of a nicer place. What I did find cool at both places was the really chill atmosphere and no loud drunks. And I've been known to be a loud drunk, so I'm not throwing stones, it was just a really unique atmosphere, and most people did seem to be friendly once you spoke to them.

I'm not sure I ever broke thru RT in my visits to these establishments. Pretty sure I didn't/haven't. I can say for sure, that after my 3 tbsps so,far tonight, I can feel the effect. It's quite nice.

My reasons for pursuing this root outside of the occasional visit to the bars is this. I'm an almost nightly drinker. I love to drink, I enjoy it. I'm to the point that I have a hard time going to sleep without alcohol. Getting in bed completely sober, and my mind wanders at 100 miles per hour. I've had so e pharmaceuticals prescribed, but I don't want that to be a habit either. I do not drink during the day (other than some weekends but still rare), and drinking hasn't really affected my work negatively other than an occasional hungover day at work. But, I'd really like to cut back on the booze for multiple reasons. So kava looks like it might be a good alternative, and really not more expensive than a bottle and a half of cheap wine.

By the way, how many tablespoons are in a 1/2 lb bag of GHK Micro? I'm curious.

Another thing I've noticed from the very first shell I had, the taste does not bother me much at all. Now maybe there are some varieties that would, but everything I've had so far just does not bother me. I really don't need a chaser other than some water, even though I made some Crystal Light this evening. I also don't get a super numb mouth. At least not novacaine like, more like a little tingly for a bit.

My one wish is that my wife could discover this with me. She is a bit sketched out about it. She has extremely bad anxiety and takes medicine for it, and also has crippling hangovers from alcohol, I think to a glucose issue. She takes med regularly for the anxiety, but I. Hoping I can convince her to try Kava, and hope she will stick with it thru the RT period, but im not getting my hopes up.

Live2Ski

Cool. So what are the NC joints like? Asheville?
Pacifico,
I've described the Wilmington place in my last post, which i was typing when you asked. It's on a side street downtown, right across from a brand new Marriott Courtyard. It's small, and a little "rustic". My understanding is that a lot of people in recovery hang out there, partly due to the other product they sell. But most every did seem to have shells as well. Lots of regulars that know each other. I talked to a few people there and everyone was nice. The Kavaristas were all really nice and helpful.

The place in Asheville is also right downtown, on a side street off Biltmore Ave, right next door to an awesome restaurant. I haven't spent a ton of time there, but Asheville is a much bigger tourist town than Wilmington. The guy that owns this place also has an internet business, heck he may be on here, it's called Noble Kava. Much nicer bar. There is a bar, then they have like a large wooden table or two, the some couches and comfortable chairs at the front. They also sell the other product I had mentioned.

About to go finish off the last 6ozs of Mo'i...I feel very nice, with a tiny bit of nausea. I'm hungry too...

Kimmer

Patently irritable
I can relate to your issue of not sleeping without alcohol.
So far I have not eliminated alcohol, but I've cut down considerably. I don't drink kava on a daily basis either. Aside from awesome sleep (once I get there), the other positive kava takeaway is the next day afterglow. I suffer from social anxiety and... not so much at work, but I'm far chattier with strangers now than I've ever been before. And I find folks starting conversations with me more often, which leads me to believe I'm more approachable (the anti-bitchface effect).
I have no knowledge of the interaction of kava with anti-anxiety meds--I'm sure others will weigh in.
p.s. I like your avatar photo--or I would if it wasn't snow :p

Kimmer

Patently irritable
I take melatonin. Some days I think a rubber mallet would be more useful. Nene instant jacked me up--I still have to try the micro.

kavadude

❦ॐ tanuki tamer
The problem with alcohol as a sleep aid is that while is makes it easier to get to sleep, it robs you of REM sleep. It's not a good tradeoff.

I can second the recommendation for melatonin, and to keep experimenting with kava.

What anxiety med is your wife on?

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
I take 10 to 20 mgs though. But like all things, not everyone can benefit from everything. I am not fully taken by the kava.

IslandLeaf

Kava Curious
Welcome! I enjoyed reading this thread. I honestly hear about kava use and RT but I too have went to kava "bars" or lounges and I have had a shell or two and definitely get good results so I'm wondering what the RT fuss is all about. I have never went regularly to a kava lounge so am I missing something? It gets me very relaxed and I feel my muscles loosen up. Is there another level of kava that I'm not experiencing. It works great and its not very often I go. Hmmm....

Anyways it was great reading this. I hope you have a great night and enjoy your shells.

PEACE

Kavo

Curandero
The problem with alcohol as a sleep aid is that while is makes it easier to get to sleep, it robs you of REM sleep. It's not a good tradeoff.

I can second the recommendation for melatonin, and to keep experimenting with kava.

What anxiety med is your wife on?
First off Welcome aboard @Pacifico ::tipshat::,you've stumbled on probably the nicest place on the Net :)
I've been a nightly beer drinker for a long time and have been ramping down the % slowly to abate "the Horrors" as much as possible (I brew my own). I can totally relate to what you're saying and heading that way too. I was a Tradesman since I left school so the Arvo beers became a daily ritual and coming form a small town,I fell into the Friday/Saturday night binge thing....looking back it wasn't as "cool" as I thought it was ;)

Yup what @kavadude said mate, spot on.
Some nights I can get to sleep no probs(usually from exhaustion) but being so used to having Alc in my system at night(and W'Ding from Benzo's), if I haven't had a drink or my "quota" then I inevitably awaken in sweats and "The Horrors". I don't get drunk these days but I have a few every night. At low doses(1 or 2 standard's), Alcohol can have a relaxing effect but becomes a stimulant after a few more and delays the onset of REM. REM is a crucial factor for Optimum Mental Health too....well it's crucial for the whole body and brain functioning. I have naps these days recovering from dose drops to let my body repair and fall straight into REM every time. I slept for 6hours today and it seemed I dreamt the whole time.
Melatonin as you probably know is a Hormone which is switched by daylight directly from Serotonin which is made from Tryptophan in basic terms. UV therapy can help too as there are "light receptors" on the back of the knees. I've read many good reports with that too.
Supplemental Melatonin isn't a sleeping tablet per se' but it helps restore the Circadian Rhythm. Most people who travel OS a lot know and use it to reset from Jetlag. Most people only require a small amount in the 2-5mg range to trigger the response,after that the mg's don't really do much so play around to find the lowest effective dose. It's best taken about 20mins before bed,you won't necessarily feel tired though, but that's when you go lay down.
Alcohol is also a Circadian interrupter so I'm glad you're wanting to remove it like me(besides the other negative health effects).

Like @kavadude asked, what medication is your wife on?

The heightened anxiety and crippling hangovers are more likely to do with mixing Alc with the med's, possibly a dash of reactive hypoglycaemia.
I know first hand from my time on Xanax, that Alc and Xanax like to party DANGEROUSLY well....one reeeally bad recipe.

Here's to your new start mate ::chugger::

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
Welcome! I enjoyed reading this thread. I honestly hear about kava use and RT but I too have went to kava "bars" or lounges and I have had a shell or two and definitely get good results so I'm wondering what the RT fuss is all about. I have never went regularly to a kava lounge so am I missing something? It gets me very relaxed and I feel my muscles loosen up. Is there another level of kava that I'm not experiencing. It works great and its not very often I go. Hmmm....

Anyways it was great reading this. I hope you have a great night and enjoy your shells.

PEACE

I felt happy chugging at the kava bar. Music sounded better on the way home. Life was lightened a little bit. What I didn't realize is that I wasn't getting nearly nothing from it. It was different than water and I felt something but I had no idea. I didn't realize what RT really was until I ordered some bags from BKH and GHK and started my home drinking. I am over two weeks in now. Last night, after a few hours of drinking (4 nice tablespoons of mico 11 yr waka in two shaker bottles - 8 shells spaced 15 minutes apart), I only felt dull. I would describe the general feeling as how you feel at the end of the night with the boys and you are sobered up. I went to sleep and woke up ten hours later. I got up and ran 5K to start the day off, no harm done. I actually hate kava at the moment. I am only sticking with it because I know that I might break through and that I have about a pound or so left to play with. I am drinking it with an open mind. I've started with a GHK micro sample pack, a half-pound of GHK Boroguru, and a half-pound of BHK 11 Yr Waka. If I make it to the bottom of my supply without success, I will either quit or place a final order. I am not what you would consider a lucky person. I tend to expect things to be difficult. If kava doesn't work out, I will be satisfied with the fact that I tried. To address your post though, go to the sub-forums of GHK and BKH and read all of the reviews of different types of kava. Ask yourself if you felt like that when you were drinking it. Also keep in mind that kava bars can add 'tudei" kava to their grog to make sure that it hits you. They need you to come back.

blindy107

Kava Lover
Thanks for sharing @Live2Ski. If your wife is serious about trying something I would suggest looking into @Kalm with Kava 's concentrated beverage. My wife is an ex addict and we have been slowly getting her off her bupe regiment using the Kalm. It's a slow process but worth it in the end I feel.

Please keep us updated!

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
First off Welcome aboard @Pacifico ::tipshat::,you've stumbled on probably the nicest place on the Net :)
I've been a nightly beer drinker for a long time and have been ramping down the % slowly to abate "the Horrors" as much as possible (I brew my own). I can totally relate to what you're saying and heading that way too. I was a Tradesman since I left school so the Arvo beers became a daily ritual and coming form a small town,I fell into the Friday/Saturday night binge thing....looking back it wasn't as "cool" as I thought it was ;)

Yup what @kavadude said mate, spot on.
Some nights I can get to sleep no probs(usually from exhaustion) but being so used to having Alc in my system at night(and W'Ding from Benzo's), if I haven't had a drink or my "quota" then I inevitably awaken in sweats and "The Horrors". I don't get drunk these days but I have a few every night. At low doses(1 or 2 standard's), Alcohol can have a relaxing effect but becomes a stimulant after a few more and delays the onset of REM. REM is a crucial factor for Optimum Mental Health too....well it's crucial for the whole body and brain functioning. I have naps these days recovering from dose drops to let my body repair and fall straight into REM every time. I slept for 6hours today and it seemed I dreamt the whole time.
Melatonin as you probably know is a Hormone which is switched by daylight directly from Serotonin which is made from Tryptophan in basic terms. UV therapy can help too as there are "light receptors" on the back of the knees. I've read many good reports with that too.
Supplemental Melatonin isn't a sleeping tablet per se' but it helps restore the Circadian Rhythm. Most people who travel OS a lot know and use it to reset from Jetlag. Most people only require a small amount in the 2-5mg range to trigger the response,after that the mg's don't really do much so play around to find the lowest effective dose. It's best taken about 20mins before bed,you won't necessarily feel tired though, but that's when you go lay down.
Alcohol is also a Circadian interrupter so I'm glad you're wanting to remove it like me(besides the other negative health effects).

Like @kavadude asked, what medication is your wife on?

The heightened anxiety and crippling hangovers are more likely to do with mixing Alc with the med's, possibly a dash of reactive hypoglycaemia.
I know first hand from my time on Xanax, that Alc and Xanax like to party DANGEROUSLY well....one reeeally bad recipe.

Here's to your new start mate ::chugger::

So have you found your kava version of beer yet? I have drank with many Aussies. You guys don't fuck around.

Kavo

Curandero
LOL @Pacifico
I used to drink Kava in my late 20's before the hammer fell and have tasted much nastier bitterness from Sacraments that would make the hard core Kava Drinkers here cringe ;-P
So far as Beer goes, well nothing compares to real Kava but for now I've settled on Coopers Pale Ale Home brew.
Don't forget bro compared to our land mass and population that we are spread out far and wide as is the diversity of the small towns and the big smoke capital's communal mentality.
We get our license to drive and drink at age 18 and it becomes a nightmare from there.
We don't drink Fosters,I don't know anyone who has shrimp to throw on the Barby,we don't all do burnouts in the garage listening to AC/DC and live on the dole sucking down tinny's wearing the flanno with missing teeth(or is it teef ;) )
We do have an unfortunate heritage of Alc consumption though and some would definitely be able to drink Keith Richards under the table ;)

Pacifico

Kava Enthusiast
Yeah I am fortunate enough to be able to see stereotypes when they appear. Americans drink Budweiser. Aussies don't drink Fosters. It's a fun-fact. However, I am sure if you looked hard enough at lunch or dinner, someone was throwing some shrimp on the barby. To be fair, calling someone a grilled shrimp eating Aussie isn't exactly derogatory, just misinformation. I think that this is the funny part. So what is the kava that you like that can replace beer? And what kava goes best with vegemite sandwiches?

Kavo

Curandero
PMSL I have yet to see a shrimp on the BBQ honestly and I'm over 40.
Ahh,you mean some "shrimp" on the "Barby", yeah that was me before I got sick of it and took up Martial Arts :D
Prawns...yes but most get them from a large chain store that source from farms and are frozen in Vietnam unless you live on the coast ;)
It takes a bit to make fun of an Aussie as we can't even get along with our own. We think American's are Yankee Dickheads hahahaha (jokin)
Seriously,I only sip on my own brew to ease the bumps through my ride off Benzo's,not ideal but it's safer, controlled by me and I'm not overdoing it.
I have worked out the tiny dose of SC CO2 extracted Magnalol/Honokiol powder that is somewhere in between both and is Neuroprotective sharing the Medicinal properties of some Kava Chemotypes.
I can't really say that Kava and Alc are comparable(though it's been 20 years or thereabouts) but whatever I had back then put a smile on my dial,relaxed me,never wanted a beer and I slept bloody well.
Hmmm,what Kava goes well with Vegemite Sanga's?
No idea cause I'm wheat intolerant and we don't have Kava :)