What's new

Home Kava Lab Pics, and a Request...

Monkava'd

A spoonful of sugar makes the Awa' go down.
Excellent set up Deleted User! :eek:
This will significantly up the game and put the nay sayers on their toes for sure sir. ;)
When I gain access to more varieties and especially miscellaneous ones I'll let you know and see if they can be tested; and will likely test them before hand to compare results, but honestly you have a far better control than I could hope to produce atm so I'd gladly just send them off to you if that's what you're requesting. :D
A personal inquiry of mine; I see Solomon island kava from nakamal pictured there, do you remember what that particular kava tested as?
I've had this kava once before and was looking at purchasing some again in the future but I'd like to know exactly what I'm getting before I do. (y)

infraredz

BULA!
A personal inquiry of mine; I see Solomon island kava from nakamal pictured there, do you remember what that particular kava tested as?
I've had this kava once before and was looking at purchasing some again in the future but I'd like to know exactly what I'm getting before I do. (y)
Based on my test (which the blind results of which were forwarded to Dr. Lebot), it is considered "noble" based on his evaluation.

Other interesting information I got out of Lebot is:
Dr. Lebot said:
Also, the only P. methysticum cultivated in the Solomons, is as far as I know, Borogu (syn Borogoru) originating from Pentecost Island, Vanuatu."

Also, some further information on Solomon Islands Kava:

From the recent draft of the "JOINT FAO/WHO FOOD STANDARDS PROGRAMME DISCUSSION PAPER ON THE DEVELOPMENT OF A STANDARD FOR KAVA PRODUCTS",
on page 3, the only cultivar listed under Solomon Islands is as follows:
Solomon Islands Kava varieties (Melomelo);

Last edited:

Roaddog

Kava Who?
My goodness @Deleted User , I thought I really got into things. You have a centrifuge, and a shaker. what no magnetic stirrer? I'm into Mycology, so I get it. Great job by the way. I can see your a man who likes to do things the right way. Mad respect from me. Much love. Roaddog....

Gourmet Hawaiian Kava

Kava Expert
Kava Vendor
Hi Deleted User, your lab looks great, I will be getting some more samples to you, do you mind if I bring them by in person so I can see your lab. :woot:
Well maybe I should just send the samples to you. I have some tudei from Vanuatu that I just got from my farmer friend, I asked him if he could send me a small sample for testing and he was able to do that for me so I have that some Isa and some more Hawaiian samples. (y)
Aloha.

Chris

D

Deactivated Account

Im a minimalist

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted User01

Interesting on the Solomons and I think Infraredz or someone may have told me it passed the acetone test. Deleted User, are you doing an Acetone test and then analyzing it? How do your tests meld with the Acetone test? It would be nice if the home user could absolutely hang their hat on the Acetone test. It is so easy to perform at home.

infraredz

BULA!
Interesting on the Solomons and I think Infraredz or someone may have told me it passed the acetone test. Deleted User, are you doing an Acetone test and then analyzing it? How do your tests meld with the Acetone test? It would be nice if the home user could absolutely hang their hat on the Acetone test. It is so easy to perform at home.
Yeah, it did pass the acetone test as you can see from my initial test what seems like years ago... ;) When I told Dr. Lebot that the sample on the far left was called "Solomon Islands", I asked him if he knew anything about it and that's when he gave me the info he did.

I won't speak for Deleted User, but I think I can definitely say that he is working on refining the test and expanding it to spectral analysis of acetonic extracts.

What I can say for certain, is that you can most definitely rely on the acetone test. Dr. Lebot has told me:
Dr. Lebot said:
"Yes we believe that it is unique to twodays and wichmannii [...] this is just a marker associated to these genotypes"

"We didn't get false positives nor false [negatives], All nobles were yellow, all twodays were ambre and all wichmannii were brown"

D

Deleted User01

So that does "spectral analysis mean". Is that the isolation of the bad compounds and a calculation of percentages? Can you give us an explanation of "Spectral Analysis of Acetonic Extracts for Dummies"? You gotta remember, I hated Chemistry in College.

infraredz

BULA!
Hah, I'm not found of chemistry either so you're in good company.

Spectral Analysis (in this case) is referring to using a spectrophotometer (something that measures the absorbance values of a sample inserted inside of it) for analysis. Basically, the sample is enclosed in a lightproof machine and then various different colors are sent as a beam through the sample, then "captured" on a sensor and analyzed by a computer software program. Here is an example: http://www.vernier.com/products/sensors/spectrometers/visible-range/svis-pl/

infraredz

BULA!
that's quite a lab you've there Deleted User, I was curious as to how infraredz compared and he shot some pics.

:p

My lab is all photography stuff, I don't have enough money being on disability (or any reason) to have any lab equipment since I've got all that in college.

D

Deleted User01

Deleted User, what are you looking for as it relates to Kava? Can you explain it in dummy language? Like, I hope to find out the various percentages of Flavokaines or whatever.

The Kap'n

The Groggy Kaptain (40g)
KavaForums Founder
That looks like my garage, back when I was trying to produce instant kava via freeze drying. Headache? Yes? Results for me!? Disappointingly...no

This is very promising, Deleted User. Thank you for investing your time, money, and expertise to help the kava community.

infraredz

BULA!
Again, I don't want to speak for him but I think I can safely say that, basically, what he is working on is quantifying the levels of orange, yellow, etc in a given acetonic extract's supernatant. Therefore, with his work, he can get a "number" for the sample's "orange-ness", for instance.

D

Deleted User01

Ok, finally a word I can understand "orangeness". Like, how can I keep the orangeness in my drink when I add Kava to my Mimosa. Me understand orange. Me like purple and other pretty colors too. So the "oranger" it is then the worse it is. And if it is really bad, then Deleted User will issue a "Code Orange". Then some vendor will turn Orange in the face. Ok, I'm all oranged out.
Kapm, that project of yours was worthy but you have a day job.

HeadHodge

Bula To Eternity
My goodness @Deleted User , I thought I really got into things. You have a centrifuge, and a shaker. what no magnetic stirrer? I'm into Mycology, so I get it. Great job by the way. I can see your a man who likes to do things the right way. Mad respect from me. Much love. Roaddog....
It's a great setup... The only thing I see missing is a lab sized flux capacitor. That's a necessity.

@Deleted User, while you're at it, could you whip me up a batch of nanites that you pour into a bag of root powder that will extract all the good kavalactones from the powder, then coalesce to form a a time release capsule? I'm willing to pay top dollar.